Idling High..&..Temp Gauge in Traffic.....

Thread: Idling High..&..Temp Gauge in Traffic.....

Bike
    ZX9R

Idling High..&..Temp Gauge in Traffic.....

Okay 2 quick questions here. I just got my bike back from being tuned up, and when the bike is warm it seems to be idling a lot higher for some reason. It was idling at about 1200 all the time......now it starts at 1200 and when its warm (after some riding) its going up to about 2300 Adjusting it obviously wont fix this.....what could be the problem ?

Second, when my bike it sitting in traffic, the temp gauge slowly goes up, and today, after a bit of riding it was going all the way up to Hot.....then when I got moving faster again it went back down. I know its Liquid&Air cooled, but it was at most 10 mins in traffic, I was worried about overheating, whats the deal with this ?
    A friend is someone who will come and bail you out of jail.....A best friend will be sitting next to you saying "damn that was fun"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2001 ZX6R
    it appears that the mechanics most likely didn't re-route the choke cable properly, how is the play on the choke cable.....it seems like it's being left open even after you have closed it.....
    2001 ZX6R
    WMRC #32 Amateur

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Don't you have a little knob for adjusting the idle speed? There's one on my F2 so I'm assuming here that there's one for the F1.

If not then you'll need to go under the tank to find the idle speed adjustment. It's a little screw between the 2 middle carbs. When you roll the throttle on and off you'll see how the activator rod assembly rises up off the end and sets back down. Adjust that screw to set the idle. If you take the left side covers off you'll see this screw. If you don't have the extended knobbie for adjusting this you may want to "upgrade" to the F2 version for a few dollars.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    ZX9R
    hmmmmm.......but what about the fact that it idles fine for the first 10 minutes or more before the idle goes up.....so if I adjust it when the idle is high, it will be way too low when I start it ?
    A friend is someone who will come and bail you out of jail.....A best friend will be sitting next to you saying "damn that was fun"

Bike
    98 Suzuki TLS
    Regarding the temp gauge, I had the same sort of problem with the heat going way up past normal. We talked with Carter honda about the problem. It turned out that the charging system was kaput and couldn't run the fan or something like that. So if you were sitting in traffic, the fan wouldn't come on as normal when the heat went up. Highway riding was no problem.

You might want to look into that.
    I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Ah yes, that is strange. Usually the enrichener will raise the idle for you while the "choke" is on. (the F2 and I assume your F1 don't have a regular type of choke).

I can only suspect that when they did you're tuneup they upset the fast idle cam and it needs to be adjusted now. If you do your own work I can have a look at my shop manual and see how it's done on the F2.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    ZX9R
    overheating issue: Yeah that sounds right on the money, the fan has not been coming on whatsoever everything else electrical works on the bike, so what kind of repair costs am I looking at ? What needs to be replaced ?

idling issue: From what I have been told bikes dont have fast idle cams, only cars do and supposedly this type of erratic idling is normal after a carb sync, he said I should adjust it manually when the bike warms up
    Last edited by Blaze; 05-16-2002 at 04:40 PM.