electrical problem

Thread: electrical problem

electrical problem

I blew the main fuse on my 500 ninja just after it was warmed up. I assume that water got somewhere it shouldn't have during the past couple of days riding. I stripped it down and checked all the connections , switch gear etc. and didn't see any problem. Replaced the 30amp fuse and fired her up no problem. However the voltage regulator/rectifier seems quite hot even just at idle(barely able to leave hand on it). Also 30amp fuse seems like alot to burn up just with some moisture in connection. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    SV 1000s
    If you know that the rectifier/regulator is running hotter than normal (based on before-burnout temperature) then something is definetly not right. Check the voltage at the battery terminal and compare that to what Kawi recommends.
    Dont be suprised if its quite high (15 volts) as some bikes are designed for that (mine).

But if you just now touched it for the first time, then know that these things do normally run quite hot. I've put a CPU heatsink on mine (no fan) to help with cooling a bit.