Who knows the in/outs of sub-dividing lots?

Thread: Who knows the in/outs of sub-dividing lots?

Track Day Wh0re Array eg_hybrid's Avatar
    Port Moody
    All the kings horses

Question Who knows the in/outs of sub-dividing lots?

Just wondering...

Does anyone know the process or costs involved in sub-dividing a lot once the lot has been aquired? Lets say something around 1.1-1.2 acres

I know there's surveying involved... perhaps land preparation (i.e. pre-loading in richmond)?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Registered User Array fish_antlers's Avatar
    depends on the zoning and the city's requirements for minimum lot size etc. Depending on rules may take a request to your local board of variance which (depending on city) often only sits twice a year. Look very closely at any of this before purchasing etc with the thought of subdividing to ensure you wont get screwed. Dont listen to realtors. Go to the the specific city hall yourself.

Don't forget to have a Stage 1 environmental assessment completed as part of your subjects. If you have environmental problems on your property, it can delay your ability to re-zone and develop, nevermind the cost of cleaning it up.

As far as preloading goes, it depends on what you want to put on the Site. Preloading can also take up a fair amount of time.

K1200S Array
    Lower Mainland
    BMW K1200S

First thing you want to do is go to City hall and look at their new development concept plan. Check to see what the current and proposed zoning is. This will greatly affect how many lots you can subdivide the original parcel into. The City Engineering department should be able to give you a feel for the development potential. There are a lot of factors to consider: Location, storm/sanitary sewers, zoning, right of ways, covenants, streams, access, etc, etc. Once you convince yourself that the lot has potential, you can read the "How to subdivide" pamphelt, which every municipality has, and attempt to development the lot yourself or, hire a good civil engineer and they will develop the lot for you and contract out all the necessary work. This is the most cost effective way. Believe me - I'm in the business.

To develop a lot, you will need the services of: a civil engineer, a land surveyor, a geotechnical engineer, an arborist, a lawyer and maybe an architect. All this before you even break ground. There will be considerble $$$ involved too - obviously.

The market is hot - now is the time to build.

Eg, if you want more info, check your PM.

'07 GSX-R 750
    depends on city policies on lot sizes
    25,000 feet is my own little piece of heaven