K and N - Y or N?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K and N - Y or N?

Bike
    1975 Snortin' Norton Commando, 19somethin` Old . . . .

K and N - Y or N?

Ok, this might be a re-post, but i thought i'd sling it up anyway.

This is a controlled comparison of a paper, K and N and a foam filter. Not just seat of the pants, they actually weighed the filters before and after the test and measured the air restriction.

http://www.ducatigarage.netfirms.com/filtertest.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Super-Fast Redneck Array jschapansky's Avatar
    Bike
    99' Yamaha R6 turned Streetfighter
    I runa a K&N on my truck.. makes a world of difference there.. i dunno about on a bike. I would probably buy one when its time to replace my current filter.
    2 wheels or 4 wheel drive

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I tried a K&N on my 9R and didn't notice any extra top end power. On the other hand it made a mess of my small throttle response in heavy traffic. The stocker is back in now thankyouverymuch.

YMMV. No sportbikes were harmed in the making of this post. Offer void in bars. Some martians may apply.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    KnN filters dont do nearly as good of a job filtering out dust and dirt as opposed to papers.... I know of one guy who ran one on his bike and noticed how dirty the oil got, not just black, but dirt!

He switched back to the paper and the oil stayed cleaner much longer.

I can see this being a good thing in V10s and so on as the clearances are tolerant enough for some small forgein matter, but in a 1L engine spinning at 14000 rpm, small particles of dirt matter a lots!

Yami69
    I got a K&N on mine, and everything seems great. Bike runs fine, plus the filter stays cleaner for a lot longer.

Bike
    well, you can rely on anecdotal evidence, or you can read the report:

The Results
    As you would expect, the Fram paper filter finished third. It captured 119.68 grams of dirt over an 11 minute run before the filter became clogged and registered the pressure differential change of 6 inches of water. The starting differential pressure was 17.84 inches of water, and the ending differential was 23.84 inches of water. Was this a bad filter? No. On the basis of dirt capturing ability, this filter was 95.62% efficient. However, compared to the others it clogged up pretty fast.

The K&N cotton gauze filter finished second. It captured 140.08 grams of dirt over a 22.8 minute run before the filter clogged up and registered the pressure differential change of 6 inches of water. The starting differential pressure was 16.80 inches of water and the ending pressure differential was 22.80 inches of water. On the basis of dirt capturing ability, the K&N filter was 98.89% efficient. The K&N filter was able to run for over double the test time as the Fram paper filter before it became clogged. So, K&N is making a valid claim when they tell you that the filter does not need to be cleaned very frequently. In addition, it captured significantly more dirt than the Fram paper filter. Finally, when the testing rig's air pump was first started, the clean K&N filter only caused a 16.8 inch water pressure drop across the two sides of the airbox. The clean Fram filter caused a 17.84 inch water pressure drop. Translation: the K&N filter was less restrictive than the Fram paper filter both when it was new, and even later when it became dirty.

The RamAir multi-stage foam filter finished first in dirt holding holding capacity. It captured a whopping 199.81 grams of dirt over a 24.21 minute run before the filter clogged up and registered the pressure differential change of 6 inches of water. The starting differential pressure was 18.21 inches of water and the ending differential was 24.21 inches of water. On the basis of dirt capturing ability, the Ramair filter was 99.69% efficient. However, to score a victory in the dirt capturing contest, the RamAir filter was slightly more restrictive than both the Fram paper filter and the K&N cotton gauze filter. Notice that the starting differential pressure across the airbox was higher with the RamAir than either the Fram and K&N. Translation: the RamAir multi-stage foam filter creates a little more restriction, but delivers much higher dirt capturing results.

What does this mean to you? If you are choosing between a multistage foam filter (Uni, ITG, etc) and a K&N filter, there's no clear winner. The multi-stage foam filters have the ability to capture more dirt overall, but may cause slightly more initial restriction during the early period of use. In contrast, with the K&N you get superior airflow ability, but will have to settle with slightly lower dirt holding capacity. Hey, just clean it more frequently then! Nonetheless, they both outperform the stock paper filters found on the 2V bikes, so the faster you get rid of the cheesy paper filter, the better off you are.

Last edited by iceneweb; 11-01-2003 at 06:10 PM.

Livin' la Vida Loca Array Devon's Avatar
    Bike
    You Betcha!
    Have you seen what the filter looks like on an R6. I can't see how K&N can make it any more free-flowing than that. And at roughly $80-100 I can buy a set of Graves velocity stacks for the carbs for the same price and get 2-5 more horseys up top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443234544
    International Union of Elevator Constructors
    Local 82 Vancouver/Local 19 Seattle

ThyssenKrupp Team Seattle

Vertical Transportation Systems

Bike
    well, i question trying to second guess the manufacturers on just about everything when it comes to stuff made in the last few years. if i had a newer bike i wouldn't mess with it. why would k and n be able to make a better air filter than say the financial giant of honda? they probably don't anymore these days.

Registered User Array Krazy_j604's Avatar
    Bike
    turbocharged scooter
    i wouldn't even waste my money on K&N filter, i rather invest my money elsewhere.... but if you really want a race filter i would go with a BMC filter, but your going to also need a powercommander and you might want to also add a custom map and some dyno time to achieve the full potential of the filter and the fact that it kind messes with the fuel/air ratio.....

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 honda f4i
    I'm a rookie to bikes so bear with me cuz i have a question that i hope isn't stupid. If you had cone filters on your bike would you have problems with them getting wet in the rain?

Bike
    Originally posted by BUFFRAGS
    I'm a rookie to bikes so bear with me cuz i have a question that i hope isn't stupid. If you had cone filters on your bike would you have problems with them getting wet in the rain?
    it would be a mistake putting pods on a new bike. the induction system is tuned with the biggest air box possible, hence the huge air box on something like a Hayabusa. if you put pod filters on a modern bike you will have a lot of problems getting it to run properly again . . . . IMHO

Liquid72
    I dont have a K&N yet ....but the cost savings over time is huge ....K&N just remove and clean...stock remove and replace at 30 bucks a shot do the math........Its worth it ya ask me...

One more time eh? Array spacely's Avatar
    Bike
    DR350
    Just smear a bunch of KY on your seat,,,you'll have to hang on so tight to stop from sliding off you'll think you got another 40hp
    WMRC # 31

Bike
    vtwins
    i am no expert. but if you think logically..

if KN has more air flow.. there is more room for un wanted particles.

a mechanic told me he's tried it in his car althought power was boosted, he said all the extra shit that went into his engine.. well he just didnt like it
    10 KTM rc8 r
    03 Yamaha R6 (track)
    97 HD Sporty 883

Funfactor Array
    Bike
    YAMAHA ??
    I would use a foam filter over a k&n. The gauze on the k&n seems to seperate more and more with each cleaning. The best test for a filter would be in a dirt bike and they only use foam.So if foam filters work well in these severe conditions I would have to say there is only one choice.