Importance of Pants

Thread: Importance of Pants

MikeyMike

Importance of Pants

How important are riding pants if you dont plan on racing or doing anything at excessive speeds? Won't a pair of thick jeans be okay?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R

Re: Importance of Pants

Originally posted by MikeyMike
    How important are riding pants if you dont plan on racing or doing anything at excessive speeds? Won't a pair of thick jeans be okay?
    You don't have to go down at high speed to wear right through a pair of jeans. I do wear jeans on occassion, but there is no better security than full gear including pants made from leather or ballistic nylon with armour. It could make the difference between getting up and saying &*($#$@, or laying there hoping the pain will stop from your skinned legs. But I have to admit I'm not always wearing the leathers.
    What was it all about?

Xyban
    I like my knees, I like my knees...(repeat that to yourself every time you wear jeans because if you do fall in jeans you won't be able to afterwards)

Bike
    Big fat 1400cc pig XR650Rtard

Remember when you were a little Kid and you fell off your bicycle,
    How did your jeans look after a 2 foot slide?
    can you imagine a 100 foot slide?

Just Another Enthusiast Array vrecksler's Avatar
    Bike
    Naked SV
    I beleive it is all relative. Compared to leather or textile, jeans suck. But in reality they are not as bad as their rep.

I collided with a mini van that ran a red light--I was doing 50ish and the van was doing around the same. I was launched into the air, and slid on the ground a little. My jeans held up well, except they allowed something to puncture my knee. Leather or textile pants would have saved me from some surgery, that I am sure of. But it could have been worse, if I had not changed from the track pants I was wearing at home, who knows?

Jeans are OK for lower speed stuff, and IMHO they are acceptable for normal commuting--enter the freeway at your own risk.

B-r-a-d-l-e-y...Why? Because I'm Bradley!

Email

Wear proper gear pls ;) Array R1 GIRL's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Replica

Jeans are acceptable IMOO

Not that I recommend wearing jeans (although I do it all the time), I had two accidents, both going around 60. My jeans didn't wear through on either occasion, just wore thin. Heh, I still did have road rash under the jeans though, but not as bad as you'd think. Like I said, I still wear the jeans.

However, if I'm going up to Squamish doing some major riding I'll wear proper pants for sure. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons and decide what you personally feel comfortable with.
    Jody - R1 GIRL
    R.I.P. Ethan, Bog, Dan, Cody, Ralston and my angel in the sky, Julia - my friends, all of you will be loved and remembered forever

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    I think that jeans are fine for commuting. You're not going to catch me wearing my full leathers for a day at the office, I'll usually ride in dress pants. Although for more aggresive riding, I don't wear jeans. Actually, over jeans I prefer to wear army pants, if I'm just riding up to school or whatever. You can get them at an Army Surplus store (Camouflage on Granville) and they have stronger stiching than jeans, are run resistant against tears, and are a lot mroe comfortable than jeans (well, to me at least).
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    2001 ZX6R
    Luckily when I lowsided on gravel at Keystone, I was wearing my codura riding pants that have both foam and hard armour knee pads....I got lucky, scratches on the helmet & jacket and a little tear in the codura, I went down and got right back up, despite the bike falling on my left leg....no doubt about it, if I was wearing jeans I would have busted a knee cap....
    2001 ZX6R
    WMRC #32 Amateur

KawBoy
    I was thinking of picking up a pair of Dickie's from Mark's Work Wearhouse. They're heavier denim and double layered in the knees. Don't forget Draggin' Jean. Joe Rocket also makes a line of Kevlar jeans.

K1200S Array
    Bike
    BMW K1200S

I wiped out twice on the street and both times I slid on my pants. Once on the my side and the other on my ass. My ass slide burned a hole through my Vanson leathers. Get pants.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    When I dropped my bike on a tour last fall I was only doing about 30 to 40 kph. The bike slapped down so hard it broke a bottle of brown nectar in my touring bag and I hit hard enough to have a bvery tender shoulder for about 2 weeks. The knee pad on my riding pants (foam and hard armor) was scuffed fairly badly. But I didn't have ANY sorness in my knee thanks to the gear. One of my gloxes was also ground a little thin.

I wear jeans for a quick commute or for short rides. But for day rides or any higher speed rides the riding pants go on.

Read Xyban's post again. Knees are not that easy to fix and are surprisingly dellicate. Just look at all the knee surgery that athletes need after an "incedent".

Just cut back on the money for the helmet with the fancy graphics and spend it on some decent leather riding pants. Leather is a little more to buy but will often last for more than one slide so they wind up cheaper in the long haul and are more comfy to boot.

Actually a cheap second hand two piece suit is often the best way to get a jacket and pants combo. It's a lot less buying them that way.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

'04 R1 - You are mine! Array FloMan's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes please! Oh! That wasn't a question?
    Originally posted by Harps
    I think that jeans are fine for commuting. You're not going to catch me wearing my full leathers for a day at the office, I'll usually ride in dress pants. Although for more aggresive riding, I don't wear jeans. Actually, over jeans I prefer to wear army pants, if I'm just riding up to school or whatever. You can get them at an Army Surplus store (Camouflage on Granville) and they have stronger stiching than jeans, are run resistant against tears, and are a lot mroe comfortable than jeans (well, to me at least).
    Hey man

Have you seen those jump suits they have at Camouflage?...I bet those would make awsome summer riding clothes...I dig the army pants too ..I like comfort when I am riding. I find that if you are comfortable and and can maneover easily...you reduce you chances of crashing greatly... not to knock anyone's personall preferences...but leather can get a little uncomfortable ( at least until you break it in)and restraining...and that's not good on a powerful machine that requires your full agility...My good friend Shawn used to stunt in shorts and sandals and never crashed...than he got a full leather suit and had two big make out sesisons with the road.He says he wishes he never started wearing them 'cause he feels naked without ...
    It all depend on your mentality in the end..if you'd rather eliminate the risk of injury (but accept the Idea of crashing) get leather pants ...if you can deal with the consequences (possible road rush) for the sake of comfort...than jeans or the likes are ok.
    Last edited by FloMan; 06-07-2002 at 09:53 PM.

David
    I hit the raod at about 75k in jeans and when it got too hot I just rolled over onto the other cheek. When it got too hot I thought I slowed enough that I could stand up so I rolled up onto my left hand. One cartwheel and a backflip later I was on my feet facing my wingman. It was the most bizarre crash ,... with a witness. To be honest I don't remember it really, but thats what he said happened. Road rash was minimal. It couldda been worse I just got lucky. Better if you CAN slide so you don't HAVE to roll.