BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Cold Weather Gear/Accessories

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  nemo 
#1 ·
It's that time of year again. There are some good cold weather threads out there, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start another one. Share your knowledge!

Let's get started:

1. Heated grips: Cold hands suck! I don't care for insulated gloves because they compromise feel and, if poorly designed or fitted, sometimes restrict circulation in the fingers, making you even colder in the long run. I love heated grips and I'm surprised that they aren't optional on more bikes. Some of the bikes that are available here have OEM heated grip kits available in other markets (the VFR comes to mind), but they can be pricey. You'll use them far more often than you'd think. Fortunately, you can add heat for surprisingly little money:
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

If you have more cash to spend, HotGrips are an option:

http://www.hotgrips.com/

2. Gloves: A cheap way to retain heat is to use insulated glove liners. Check with ski or snowmobile shops. Just be sure that the added layering doesn't restrict circulation when you wrap your hands around your grips.

Post up if you have any recommendations for good winter gloves.

Heated gloves are available through Widder and Gerbing. I have a pair, but find that they rarely get used because they are inconvenient. Heated grips may go on briefly in the morning or at high altitudes, even during the summer, but these are times when I wouldn't bother with the gloves.

3. Heated vests: You may feel the cold in your extremities, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't appreciate a heated vest/jacket. When the temperature drops, your body restricts blood flow to the extremities to keep warmth in your body's core. By heating the core, an electric vest will help to keep your hands/feet warmer as well. There are several varieties available. There is a common electric vest available at many local shops that costs ~$100. If you get more serious about heat, Widder makes a good product. You can add "arm chaps" to heat your arms. I use this system, but admit that it is less convenient than a heated jacket. The close fit of the Widder + arms chaps does make efficient use of available wattage, and that can be a bonus for minimalist charging systems. For maximum heat production, the Gerbing stuff seems to be the best--they're based somewhere near Seattle, and I understand that they often have deals available at the Seattle bike show.

Heated chaps/pants are also available.

4. Rain suits: Aside from the obvious benefit of keeping you dry, a rain suit does an excellent job of cutting the wind. Even riding gear that features Goretex (or similar) seems to let some wind through. I often use a rainsuit jacket to cut the chill. The difference is significant and the relatively low cost is attractive.

5. HYDRATION!!!!!!! Not gear or an accessory, but vitally important. It is easy to become dehydrated when it is cold--sometimes you're not thirsty. Hydration is a key to staying alert and when you're riding on cold and/or wet pavement, you want to be as alert as possible.

See less See more
#7 ·
i went into carter honda the other day and asked for heated grips. the guy looks at me and says 'well, umm ya kow the seasons nearly over, right?' dumbass. where do they get these idiots from to work in a bike store? they don't even know anything about riding or bikes.

i then chatted with laurie (great gal) and she showed me some 'oxford hot hands' which velcro over the top of your existing grips. they were on sale for about 2/3 price so i picked em up. not fitted yet, but i'll post up results soon.

#8 ·
How much were your "oxford hot hands" ? I called All bike today and ordered a similar setup (heated elements over exist grips) for $30. They also can order in fancier setups, but of course they're pricier...

I'll also post the results..once I pick them up on Thursday..

#11 ·
SilverReflex said:
Sorry but what and where is MEC?
Mountain Equipment Coop

about three blocks east of Cambie on West Broadway (big green awning)

you need to get a lifetime $5 membership cus its a coop or something.

great selection. non-slimey, 'real people' sales staff

recommended

if ya can't find what you want there, there's about twenty other places all within a three block walk

-------------------------------------------------

Wannabe: my grips were about $50 including an on/off switch fuse and harness etc. must be the exchange rate, but stuff from the uk seems to be quite pricey here. they also had some $30 ones, but they go under your regular grips, which doesn't make much sense to me as surely that does a good job of heating up your handlebars?

#12 ·
Heated Grips

Wannabe said:
Anybody call if local places carry those heated grips for a decent price?
All-bike? RMS? BK?
I got a pair for the R6. Cost me $40 from Pacific Yamaha but I haven't quite figured out how to install them yet. They are the kind that go under the existing hand grip so I'm scared to mess them up. I might just get them installed by the shop.

G
#18 ·
Great thread everyone. Please do share your experiences after getting those grips installed.

I can handle the cold weather riding nearly everywhere EXCEPT on my frozen fingers. Geez... I'm gettin' sweaty palms just thinking about those grips!

#19 ·
The heated grips on the Beemers are definately nice. I don't think you'd be able to feel the heat with thick gloves though, and the backs of your hands will still be cold. Nevertheless, you WILL find that you use them a lot.

#20 ·
Grips Installed!

Well, because I'm relatively new to both electrics and motorcycles, installing these grips caused me more grief than I thought.

Anyways, I think I spent 2 hours figuring out that "ground" meant connecting it to the negative connection of the battery. :rolleyes

...but it works!! It's ugly (switch is taped on!), but can't wait to try it out tm morning on the ride to school!!

I'll be doing some cleanup in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.