BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

cheapest method for towing a bike?

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  westvan_dude 
#1 ·
Ok so i have agreed with ICBC that i will buy my wreck back.
They want the thing out of their sight ASAP.
I need to tow it from the coquitlam claim center to Vancouver.
What is the cheapest way to tow it back?

anybody have a ramp and tie downs I can borrow?
Then all I need to do rent a truck and a friend.

#4 ·
If it's a 250cc shouldn't be too hard to lift into the back of a pickup. Otherwise if you've got a car or know someone with any vehicle that has a trailer hitch or decent trailer ball on the bumper you can rent a ramp-equipped uhaul trailer for $30-35. Made of metal, usually 5-10ft with 2-3ft sides. I rented one to move a 150L steam kettle to my friends ironwork shop for modification. Couldn't lift it into my truck.

Provided All-West Insurance comes by my house this evening (thurs night) to renew my insurance on my truck if you have $20 bucks for my fuel and pay for the trailer rental you can send me an email or PM. I'll be home (N. Shore) Friday. I've got tie downs.

#5 ·
Where there's a will there's a way. I've seen them fit into vans before. 250 can't be all that heavy, worst case you pull the wheels and windscreen off or lay it in there on a tilt. Lay down plastic and some padding and watch out for the windows and carpet, that could be worth a lot more than a tow bill. Two or three guys could pull it off easy. Thieves do it all the time.

#6 ·
hey i have a 2000 grand caravan and a ramp iam sure it'll fit.i saw a gsxr 1000 in the std minivan at mission this year.you may have to pull the windscreen off.

if you dont find a way,pop by the shop and let me know.i'll see what i can do.

john

#10 ·
How damaged is the bike? Does it even matter at this point if its laying down or standing? If not just lay out some Plastic in the back of your Minivan and get a couple buddies to help you lift it in.How much does an RGV weigh anyway?

Cool bike btw.Hope you get it fixed by Summer.We need more Strokers at Sportbike West.

#13 ·
Is it still insured? BCAA only works if the vehicle is insured, and they think you were using it and it stopped working.

My bike came home in a van, and it's a 550 lb 750cc. Anything is possible. :D

#14 ·
I don't know if this uhaul link will work but this is a list of their trailers. Cheapest they list is this one for $14.95 which is 4x6ft open trailer (~2ft sides). Maybe your bike fits in diagonally?

Could be the uhaul dealer has a motorcycle specific trailer but in the listing above that one is not shown.

Takes 1/2hr to pull my canopy off and my F-150 is 4x4 so higher off the ground. Two could load but better 3 to take off as you roll it off backwards with wood 2x12 as ramp. That's what I do for my dirtbike. Also easier to back up to a high curb or a rise in your lawn, etc which makes the ramp angle less steep.

#15 ·
I don't have a hitch. the hitch installation cost $150 and rental of the hitch is another $45. Then there is the rental of the trailer.

ZenOfZoom said:
U-Haul rents "motorcycle" trailers for 14.99 / day - ramp and all ! I know the North Van Main St. one has them, you'd have to check for the other locations.

#17 ·
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Just so you know, myself and probably a few others here would have done it for a case of beer if you'd paid for the trailer rental. (as in using our vehicle for towing)

But it's better if ICBC picks up the tab.;)

ps. is bomax still into the bike business?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.