A Beginner's question-please help

Thread: A Beginner's question-please help

k2square

A Beginner's question-please help

Hi~!

I'm new to this forum. Also, I'm just a beginner, and planning to buy a new bike.

1) I really like the look of the 600's bike, but I've heard some saying that 600 is too big for beginners.........but some said it's up to the person. Can someone give me some suggestion?

2)For a beginning rider(17yrs old), about how much would insurance cost for me(for example, a Ninja250R, and a 600class)?

Thanks for the help~!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    I wish.
    Do a search for new rider or beginner .. you'll find a large discussion on them.

But to quickly answer your question: Do you want to drop a brand new shiny bike? Or even one that isn't so shiny? Probably not. And the chances say that you probably will.

I'd recommend a $2-3k starter bike (or less), just make sure it's running.. then turn around and sell it and get that 600 when you feel your ready.
    BCSB- Administrator

Bike
    Nothing Right Now
    Whatever you do, DON'T buy a brand new bike. Like what adamantium said, chances are you are gonna drop it. It's a process of learning how to ride... (well, not everyone drop their bikes but a mass majority do) just like when you learn how to walk.
    You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles!

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    WELCOME ABOARD

If you can spare the bucks you could start with an older 600 and just take a chance with the plastic. I'm amazed at how good a bike my F2 from 1992 is.

But just be aware that ANY of the 600's from the old late 80's Hurricane and up to now is like carrying a loaded gun with the safety off. They are smooth and easy to ride as long as you respect them but crank it at the wrong time and it's like looking down the barrel with a nervous finger on the trigger. Yes, they ARE that fast.

Take the course and just never over estimate how good you are.

But a better first bike would be something like a Ninja 500. Unless you're particularly big and/or heavy.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Yeah. I got on a 600 for my first bike.
    learned an important lesson involving a corner, some gravel, and a ditch 3 days later.

good thing it wasn't a 'brand new' bike!
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

HaMmeR6
    My suggestion is an older 600, personally I really like the f2's as a beginner bike. 500's are a waste of money if u ask me...once u learn to ride and start getting comfortable then u'll lose interest and want to get a 600 especially if u ride with friends on 600's and up. U'll get bored fast and it is hard to get rid of a 500 cause not too many people want them. I know a bunch of people who started with 600 and are some of the best riders I know(including me --except for the best rider part). Like mentioned before, if you have the self discipline(sp?) and patience required to learn on a 600 then go for it...but be honest with yourself when making the decision.

Bike
    98 Suzuki TLS
    The main thing you should be concerned about is shelling out the money to take the lessons. That's the single most important piece of equipment to upgrade - your melon.

There's certainly nothing wrong with buying a 600cc bike to begin with if you've taken lessons and have a responsible head on your shoulders. A 600cc sportbike is actually all I'll ever need for years to come. You're pretty much guaranteed to drop it though, so just be ready for when you do. I dropped my bike about 3 times in 2 years.

If you don't take the lessons, it doesn't really matter what bike you own, cuz you won't know how to steer your bike with any sort of skill anyways.

Good luck!
    I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.

k2square
    I have one more question.

If i buy an old 600class bike, around how much would insurance be(for a 17yr old starter)?

Thanks

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Just go into an ICBC office and ask. They have the lists.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.