looking at a new 600 owners imput needed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking at a new 600 owners imput needed.

Bike
    04 CBR600RR

looking at a new 600 owners imput needed.

Hey guys.

Well i have 1 more summer with the cbr600f2, then its time for a new 600. I am open to any and all brands im just going to buy the bike that has all the qualities etc that im looking for. I also don't wanna buy baised on 1/10th of a sec accell times. So if ya own a (r6 zx-6r/6rr gsxr600 honda cbr600f4/f4i/rr) provide a little bit of imput on how the bike is in traffic.. what is the power band like. Am i gunna jump on this thing and all it wants to do is pop wheelies. is it well balanced. hows the clutch feel, the tranny.. etc etc.. things that only someone who lives with the bike everyday can tell me. the over all ups and downs in the real world.... and no bashing other brands saying buy *manufactures name* just cuz they have won a bunch of races on there race bikes, which are piloted by a guy that has more ridding skill in his pinky finger then i do in my whole body.

thanks alot

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

I Came,I Saw,I Conquered Array Yammer Jammer's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 Duc 848
    Well I bought my 03 R6 (blue "faster one") this past season and since have put 18,000kms on it since February. My over all impresions are very good. The bike is put together VERY well. I havent really even messed around with my suspension yet. The factory settings worked very well for me (6'0 165 pounds). Now I know some people hate the one headlight bike, but to me personally, I think it has saved me in numerous situations. The projector style headlight gives off a blueish hue unlike any car or competitor bike for that matter on the road (even HID's) This in turn makes you far more visible in my opinion. My brother has the exact same bike as you. I've ridden it on many ocassions. Going from the bike you are riding to a the R6 is like night and day. The suspension and frame are stiffer, the feedback is quicker, the bike just seems to steer itself in corners, acceleration is greatly increased, traction seems way more planted, and it is in my opinion one of the most comfortable bikes with the 636 coming in a close second. Now the things I don't like about the bike. When in neutral kicking it into first the bike is a little more clunkier than most, along with going from first to second. After that the gearbox is like butter!!. Another is the hesitation in acceleration that Yamaha decided to map in at 8000rpm, after that hang on to your balls cause it GOES!. Hmmmm oh and the oil filter change is a real BITCH!!!! Fairing has gotta come off and do yourself a favour if you get this bike. Get an oil filter socket!!!! I had to do the old screwdriver through the filter technique the first time I changed the oil. Thats where the Kawi 636 is better. Oil changes are a breeze!. If your fairly mechanically inclined you can attempt to change the spark plugs when the time comes. I did it myself. Pain in the ass let me tell you. Who would have thought it would take 4 hours to change the plugs. haaa!!. All in all I wouldn't trade the bike in for anything. But if I had to the decision would be between the 03 R6 and the Kawi 636. Both very similar bikes for beginner rider. Another friends got a 636 and if you where to put the two bikes in a room blind fold me spin me in circles and get me to sit on one of them, I probably would not be able to tell the difference. All though the Kawi does have a couple of more trick features then the R6, ie. inverted forks, slipper clutch, lap timer If you like it rough, go with the 600RR cause the seat is a board!. The R6 is also tied with Kawi in wet wieght at 410lbs, The Honda 600RR wieghts in at 430lbs wet. Beware though the gas comsumption of the Kawi is a little less that the R6 coming it at 41mpg (7.1L/100km) or 252 km to the tank as upose to 46mpg (6.2L/100km) or equating to 274 km to the tank for the Yamaha. Do yourself a favour. Go and sit on every bike, the Yamaha, Kawi, Honda and Suzuki. In my opinion go for the one that is most comfortable. All of these bikes are so close in performance. For an intermediate rider the differences will be hard to identify. Thats the reason why I bought my R6. Not because it had the trickest gizmos or the most horsepower, or the fastest quater mile time, or even the best looking. I picked it because of its comfort and reliability. Just my opinion. Hope this helps you in your quest.

Bike
    Rosalita Azul
    I have the Kawi 636 and everything Yammer says is true of the bike. I haven't ridden the R6 but I would imagine they are very close in terms of comfort, performance, reliability, etc.

My bike is amazing - it is the most incredible machine when the pace gets going but if you're a commuter or like to keep things on the comfy side, go for an F4i ('04 with the comfy seat) or I found the '03 GSXR to be very comfy as well.

Which ever one will make you happy while you're making payments in January is the one you should buy - they're all great!

Bike
    2008 Duc 848
    I also forgot to mention. Go and pick yourself up a copy of the 600 sport bike shootout. Its a reprint from Cycle Canada's August mag. You can get a copy for free at Holeshot on Langley Bypass.

Master of Puppets Array Cometman's Avatar
    Bike
    Team Green
    You should take a look at the new FZ6 while you're at it. It might just have the right combination of fun and all-around usefullness that you are looking for.

Asian Persuasion Array dragnit02's Avatar
    Bike
    Pumpkin Orange
    you should go to RMS in the spring and ask for test rides when you get the chance b/c they do carry the 636RR,636R,600RR and GSXR 600. Down the street is the R6 but I don't think they'll let you take one out. It comes down to how comfortable you find the bikes. All the new 600's are quite aggressive in the seating position now and are pretty equal in power. Check out the mags for the latest reviews like Cycle Canada.
    So much work & so little time!!

MMMMMMM......TWINS!! Array blake easton's Avatar
    Bike
    13 kawi 636
    I have a 03 R6 and I love it. I would say there is no bad choice for 600s now. There all so close. For me it was the R6 or the 600rr. I picked the R6 cuz western yamaha in Langley rocks. Stan gave me wicked financing and I got the bike at age 20 with no co-signer. I was very happy. Anyway, I think any choice will be good, go for comfort (as much as U can get for a sportbike).

Cam: Lets trade in the spring. It will give U an Idea of what the R6 is like. Your in White Rock and im in Cloverdale. Works out perfect. Oh and if we switch NO "wheelies" on the test ride. PM me If U want. Oh, and if you crash it on the, Write the thing off I wouldnt mind getting an 04 R1 this year.

P.S. young lion: U need to get a fender eleminator kit. Nice bike.

Bike
    Rosalita Azul
    Originally posted by blake easton

P.S. young lion: U need to get a fender eleminator kit. Nice bike.
    First of all, thats great advice - get a feel for all of the dealers before you buy - it will greatly impact how happy you are with the bike for a long time down the road. My problem right now is I want my next bike to be a Suzuki SV1000 but my favorite dealer whom I buy from exclusively only carries Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi. It will kill me to buy from another dealer because these guys have taken such good care of me in the past.

As for the fender eliminator - you are totally right, it would look so much cleaner with that huge plastic fender hacked off. I'm between minds - doing it myself or buying a kit, hmmmm...

Kawi
    I own a 636 and I would say that it is a close call between it and the R6. Both are great bikes and Have there ups and downs. I have rode both and the only things I found is the brakes on the 636 are better but I had to put a shaved saddled seat on it to make it more comfortable for long rides. As for the flat spot I find it around 4000 RPM and is gone before you hit 5000, but once it hits around 8000 it takes off like a rocket. As far as handling and factory setting the 636 and the R6 are great. The problem I found with the R6 is the seating postion makes alot of heat from the motor come up at you, I mean it is like chest nuts roasting on a open fire. The only other thing I didn't really like is the front brakes. I will agree with Yammer that the lighting on the R6 is alot better then the 636 since it has projectors on it. I myself would highly reccomend both these bikes to anyone looking to get a 600. I can't really judge the others since I haven't had the chance to ride them yet. I mean every bike has its down side to it, but with a little work anything can be fixed or changed. Both Yammer and I had done work to are bikes and both of us have rode each others bikes to see what they are like to compare and I can say the problems both bikes have are just minor mods to be made.

Registered User Array Krazy_j604's Avatar
    Bike
    turbocharged scooter
    it all comes down to comfort,looks and price... nothinig can go wrong with newer generation 600's even probably some of the older ones are still quite good... but any 600 is all the bike your ever going to need...

Bike
    2008 Duc 848
    Yeah what Scott said. Damn I forgot to mention the Roasting NUTS syndrome. For sure. Full leathers in the summer stuck in traffic = hot ass BAWLZ!

MMMMMMM......TWINS!! Array blake easton's Avatar
    Bike
    13 kawi 636
    I personally love the feeling of being in full leathers and sweating my balls off. I'd rather be one my bike hotter than hell, then at home sratching my balls. Or even worse at WORK. YUK.

BBQ Squadron Member Array Dark()Knight's Avatar
    Bike
    Batcycle
    I've had my CBR600F4i 2002 for 2 seasons and 28,000kms later. Have gone through the second set of tires already and it's been a great bike to ride and very low maintenance so far. Only had to service the CCT under warranty and the usual periodic maintence. Rides similar to your Honda but with more pep because of fuel injection and better balance overall. I've heard people swear by their 600RR's if your looking at that as well. My next choice would be a 1000RR when it's time to move on. Good luck on your choices. Don't think you'll find any bad apples in the bunch of 600's out there....
    D()K
    Be Happy for this moment.... This moment is your life.

It is not about Anger,
    It's about Peace.
    It is not about Power,
    It's about Grace.
    It is not about knowing your enemy,
    It's about knowing yourself.

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    for all around comfort and performance, i woudl say the f4i is a good compromise of everything, it does everything well, and its comfortable. i cant think of another bike i have seen racing locally more than the f4i, even though it isnt the most racy bike. the seat, the ergo's very comfortable and wrist friendly. the power, while maybe a 'little' low is competative and very very linear (good) the transmission is comparable to any other brand , i havent used stock brakes, but with braided lines it stoppies with ease... flicks good, feels light, great bike....

i have ridden the r6 once on track, flicks very fast, has a more 'top endish' feel to the engine, brakes were stock and old, i complained for a very long time over the brakes... im sure they are better with upkeep. good bike, i managd to overheat it somehow..

put 22k km and 2 track days on an 03 r1, flicks quick, not quite as fast as a 600, but close... again very lnear power, the engine is incredible imo, not the highest output, but a really great feel. bike is light, stops on a dime and is rock solid in corner. ergo's took a bit to get used to, but i was able to do a few 800km one day trips on it with no sideeffects..
    no

Asian Persuasion Array dragnit02's Avatar
    Bike
    Pumpkin Orange
    For dealers I would recommend North Shore Suzuki/Yamaha b/c Frank is great to deal with and he gave my b/f the best price on an R1 compared to other dealers who would only meet his price. Burnaby Kawasaki was also very good to deal with. Pacific has improved a lot from 5 years ago. Always do your research and shop around to see who treats you right and wants your business.
    So much work & so little time!!