backpacking..

Thread: backpacking..

Bike
    Black F2, 01 GSXR 600 - Race

backpacking..

anyone ever go pack packing around a different country. i seen the damn tim hortans commerical and it got me thinking again. about my dream to move to a different country some time. but that day may or may not come. so in the mean time, i want to back pack for a month or so, not to long, just long enough to see some little part of the world.
    so what im asking is what part of the world would be fun to see, guessing somewhere in europe.
    how much you think ill need. 3000-5000 bucks, and mini jobs over there, witch i wouldnt mind doing, and maybe with work i could stay longer. would i need a working visa to do this?
    any info would be great.
    Thanks.

Antares
    My friend went backpacking in Australia for about half a year. She arrived there with only enough money for a few days' worth of food and accomodations. There are lots of hostels there for travellers and they set her up with temp jobs all over the country, and she went sightseeing and exploring in between. She even scored a job on Philip Island for a few weeks during the GP races, and worked selling Rossi souvenirs. I'm sure there are websites where you could find out more, or go to a travel agency to find out which countries and regions are backpacker-friendly, especially for a beginner.

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    if i had any financial freedom in the last 6 months, i would have left for au or nz in an instant. do it, you are young now and you only live once.
    no

Bike
    1975 Snortin' Norton Commando, 19somethin` Old . . . .
    there's tons of info out there on the net. my only advice is to go ahead and do it. if you don't, you'll always regret not taking the chance when you could.

Bike
    yes please
    If I had the time and/or money I would see Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece. Might head to France for my honeymoon.

Just get a 6 month visa and take cash jobs. Some of my friends went to Australia then SE Asia and had no problems finding short term, cash-only jobs. Another friend went to Thailand with only 2G in his pocket and had a blast. It's so cheap over there.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

Bike
    gix 750 streetfighter
    I went to New Zealand for 3 1/2 months 2 years ago and had a blast!!! its such a great country, i think it never took us longer than 5 minutes to get a ride when hitchhiking.
    And at the end of this month i'm heading over to Thailand for 2 months, i think its prolly gonna run me about $2400. Anyway backpacking is so much fun, and you meet a amazing amount of people.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Team Green
    I can confer with everyone here that backpacking is a blast! Try to go as long as your finances allow. I went to Europe for 5 weeks in 01 and Asia for 4 weeks in 02. I wish I could have stayed longer but I'm working full time. Europe and Asia were vacations. Europe cost me 5g and Asia 4g.

If you want to work legally, you will have to get a working holiday visa but you can't get that in every European city. But by the sound of things, it seems like you can easily get cash jobs too.

Aus, NZ, Thailand, and Vietnam are next on my list!

jason Array
    Bike
    03 Busa Turbo
    my advice to you is to save up a little more money and then travel a step or two above backpacker class. ive travelled austrailia, se asia , us and europe. the back packers in asia tend to sleep about 6 to a room shower rarely and eat at crappy restaurants and eat old baguettes. i prefer to sleep in a decent hotel eat good food and enjoy the culture of a foreign country. many packpackers just hang around in a clump and dont do much because it costs money. what did we all think of the squatters at science world last summer? do you see the picture the host country sees of the typical backpacker not to mention the fact that they work illegally taking jobs away from the people who live and pay taxes in that country. do people in so cal appreciate the mexicans who cross the border and work cheap for cash? i dont think so. do yourself a favour be cheap here and not when you travel. it will be alot more fun when your not worried about money on a daily basis travelling. thats my two cents please dont be offended by my observations.

Bike
    A ---> B
    i agree with jasont in saving up the dough to be able to afford to see and enjoy the culture in a country.

i disagree about staying in hotels. hotels are boring and you meet no one. hostels (just find a decent one) are fun and you meet tons of great people of all ages from all over.

i did europe last summer for 6 weeks - not long enough but enough to know i want to go again

i went from london down to greece and back up again - i also spent about 10g (lived it up on a tour for 3 weeks - great party but really expensive) but I could have done it for about 5g pretty easily i think.

anyhow, travel if you've got the urge. it's worth it
    Bike's sold - still have some gear left!

Bike
    Youth Hostels (IYHA) are the best way to meet other people from all over the world who are travelling like you are. They're also fairly cheap and often in good locations.

http://international-youth-hostels.com/index.html

http://www.hihostels.com/openHome.sma

a great way to travel is with a RailPass.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Team Green
    Originally posted by iceneweb
    Youth Hostels (IYHA) are the best way to meet other people from all over the world who are travelling like you are. They're also fairly cheap and often in good locations.

http://international-youth-hostels.com/index.html

http://www.hihostels.com/openHome.sma

a great way to travel is with a RailPass.
    HI hostels are convenient to reserve but they are often located far from the central areas of the city. Whatever you do, do not stay at the HI Rome hostel. That place feels like a jail!

Antares
    I've been told that hostels are like 24/7 orgies.

Bike
    Originally posted by Ivy
    I've been told that hostels are like 24/7 orgies.
    woah! news to me! but you will have a much better chance of meeting that Aussie cutie, than in a swanky hotel

jason Array
    Bike
    03 Busa Turbo
    you have a much better chance of dragging a girl back to your hotel than to the hostel !!!!!! ive travelled both ways. i like my own space and room service!!