BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Is it just me...

2K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Harps 
#1 ·
or does everybody else think the new ducati's front fairing (the headlight mostly) is just plain fugly.

the older models were nicer

See less See more
#8 ·
The fron end looks like a haybusa, but without the organic flow. The side fairing look like the new VFRs with those sharp points up front. The back end looks like a chairlift. The rest of the bike is typical ducati: "Look at my fancy gold-plated suspension! It cost buckets more than yours did."

-Sandworm

#10 ·
Sorry , but to me Ducati does not have a single good looking bike in their line up.

The beautiful 916/996/998 series is now hideous.

The air cooled 750/900 series lost the classic lines and is a joke.

The Multi-Strada? Looks like a Cylon from Battlesta Galactica.

They used to make the most beautiful machines around. Now I'm surprised that any make it out the door.

#11 ·
:)
Sikorsky said:
Sorry , but to me Ducati does not have a single good looking bike in their line up.

The beautiful 916/996/998 series is now hideous.

The air cooled 750/900 series lost the classic lines and is a joke.

The Multi-Strada? Looks like a Cylon from Battlesta Galactica.

They used to make the most beautiful machines around. Now I'm surprised that any make it out the door.
The reason they sell so well is the same reason people buy a Rolex or high end suvs its mostly about, look at me.

#12 · (Edited)
no, the reason they sell so well, is that they offer something different.

also, the handling and the feel of the motor is not the same* as that offered by the japs. it's a different experience.

i don't ride a Duc cus i want you to look at me. no, i ride it cus, cus, fuck i don't know . . . cus of the sound and the way it looks, and the way it corners, and brakes, and the fact that it is so single-minded, and no-compromise, and cus i love Italian design.

why am i justifying my choice of bike to you? :rolleyes guess i'm not happy with being labelled a poser because of my choice of ride.

ever ridden a Ducati? i guess it's like Harleys: if you don't get it, you don't get it. (and i don't 'get' the Harley appeal)

fuck i sound defensive in this post! really though, you don't need to be rich to ride a Ducati.

* i did not say 'better', just not the 'same'

#16 ·
Jagged said:
or does everybody else think the new ducati's front fairing (the headlight mostly) is just plain fugly.

the older models were nicer
:flashy :flashy :flashy
At first...I thought it was fugly,But it grows on me and now I'm beginning to like it. I guest this "reverse psychology" shit really works on some people.

#17 ·
iceneweb said:
no, the reason they sell so well, is that they offer something different.

also, the handling and the feel of the motor is not the same* as that offered by the japs. it's a different experience.

you don't need to be rich to ride a Ducati.

* i did not say 'better', just not the 'same'
Something different allright! I had a low mile 'perfectly maintained' 851. No power, cornered like a drunken pig on roller skates, and did I mention the lack of power? My '85 GSXR was miles ahead of the turd. It sure looked beautiful though! :banghead

You don't need to be rich to ride a Duc but when it comes to maintenance, excessive personal in come certainly helps!

#18 ·
The front fairing is very ugly and i can't stand the frame because they look like some cheap water pipes.

#20 ·
I'm with iceneweb, Ducati's are just plain different and to me are more satisfying to ride.
I like the look of the 749/999 although it took me a while and while the latest supersports have never been on the top of my chart for looks, the 800SS that I spent a bunch of time on last summer was to me an exceptional handling motor cycle that inspired alot of confidence in cornering and braking.
The sound and feel of a Ducati is something that you don't get in any other motor bike.
Come out to sportbike west this summer, we will have a test ride day again on saturday.

#21 · (Edited)
I kinda like the front, definatley different. I think it looks better in Black as well.

#22 ·
spacely said:
Come out to sportbike west this summer, we will have a test ride day again on saturday.
This is a question that I have been wanting to ask since last summer. Since you used the 'we' in your statement I am hoping that you work for the people that put on the test ride at SBW03. I think it was John Valk but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

At the test ride, a group of 5 of us signed up for the same time. Myself on the ST4, and friends on the 800, the 999, and on both Multistrada. We compared notes after the ride and all came to the conclusion there was a definite lack of power in each of the models. Was there some type of 'chipping' going on to neuter the bikes? If so, can't this give a poor impression of the bike?

#23 ·
i personnaly think its nice... something new for ducati... i don't think they want people to start calling it boring like how BMW had their same design for 3 series for a long time... i think it was 7 years but i'm not too sure myself.... but i have been reading brit magazines and they also claimed that the new ducati was ugly but are now starting to like the design, this was a couple months ago of course... but of course everyone has a diffrent style that they like personnaly of course

#24 ·
Sikorsky said:
This is a question that I have been wanting to ask since last summer. Since you used the 'we' in your statement I am hoping that you work for the people that put on the test ride at SBW03. I think it was John Valk but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

At the test ride, a group of 5 of us signed up for the same time. Myself on the ST4, and friends on the 800, the 999, and on both Multistrada. We compared notes after the ride and all came to the conclusion there was a definite lack of power in each of the models. Was there some type of 'chipping' going on to neuter the bikes? If so, can't this give a poor impression of the bike?
Yes I work for Valks and no there was no chipping going on.
What I think the issue is, is that all of these bikes are geared really tall, to pull some crazy top speeds that the european market seems to like. I found when I ride these things I usually don't hit anything higher than 4th and sprockets are the first things that we recommend to new owners.
That being said, sure you can get more horses for less money in a bike from Japan and probably less weight to. I personally would not have given a Ducati a second look a year ago because I come from a Honda background and rode and worked on Japanize products for 16 years before switching to BMW/Ducati. Its only after spending some time on them that I can appreciate the qualities that each model has to offer. By and large its not the outright power that does it but the delivery and feel of the bike. I suppose a 10 minute test ride isn't going to relay too much of that but you have to admit, that Multistrada is a riot.

#26 ·
ugly when you first see it in pictures, but I've appreciated it more and more as i see it in person. It's original, and it's unique, which is always good.

It stands out, and you can't always have dual headlights on every single bike out there. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.