tire compound

Thread: tire compound

tire compound

Got a slow leak in my tire, ie: I loose a PSI or so each day of riding. I'm heading on road trip in a month to cow town and I don't feel confidant with a plugged tire while I go mach 10 around a bender with rigs on either side of me. So I've decided to eat it and buy a new rear tire.

Question, I asked if there was a tire that was between stock and racing and he said I can use an 'R' compound tire for not much more money.

Question, what is 'R' compound and is it going to make a difference? Do I need to upgrade my stock front if I move to an 'R' compound in the rear?

I have an F4i 2001 with the Dunlops.

2. Remove Advertisements

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    CBR600 F4
    I think he means the D207RR, instead of the D207ZR. The RR is stickier, but doesn't last as long. If you were riding on a track, I expect you would want the same model tire on the front and back, but for street use it may be ok to mix the ZR and RR.

Ol' Whatshisname... Array silversurfer's Avatar
    2001 CBR600 F4i
    If you are asking what the difference between race tires and their street counterparts, it is the rubber compound. Basically street tires are designed to warm up faster, which is why when you use them on the track they get 'slippery' because they overheat. Race tires take longer to warm up and require more force to keep them warm. If you run race tires on the street, chances are you will actually have less traction then the street version of the tire, unless you ride insanely hard all the time. And if that's the case, well sheeit...give'er!

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Listen to Silversurfer.

Unless you're a candidate for multiple excessive speeding citations then you're NOT going to get any sort of racing rubber hot enough to use properley. And cool or cold racing rubber is not as sticky as street rubber.

Stick with the Dunlops or go for Bridgestone BT010's or if you want a stickier street rubber and can find them the new BT012's. Just be prepared for poor mileage life. I stuck a finger into an 012 and it is SOFT. A short lifespan will be the case with any super soft rubber be it an 012 or a 207R

I'm dragging my toes and pegs at the track on my street model 207's and I still haven't hit the tire's limits yet. And you think you need more?
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.