Test riding bikes

Thread: Test riding bikes

Bike
    Not sure anymore

Test riding bikes

I did Action last year, however I didn't do the actual road test with ICBC so all I have right now is my learner's with the restrictions taken off. I am looking to buy a bike pretty soon (a month or two) and am wondering if shops will let me test ride them with just my learner's...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

ryanb
    nope.

Bike
    Not sure anymore
    So how exactly do newbies like me buy a bike? Id rather get some practice time before I go out for my road test...

Bike
    1975 Snortin' Norton Commando, 19somethin` Old . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xBlown
    So how exactly do newbies like me buy a bike? Id rather get some practice time before I go out for my road test...
    you'll have to buy without a test ride, or maybe someone selling privately will let you test ride.

btw: you can some great deals privately on used bikes right now

Bike
    03 Kawasaki zx6r
    if they really want to make a sale they will let you. i know that i test drove my first bike with just my learners. If they say no just go down the street to the next shop. Just remeber it could be an expensive test drive...

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    The shop I bought my Kawi from last year allowed it, but only with a sales rep leading. It's hard to find a shop that will allow this. This service was primarily why I chose the dealer. Everyone else told me to take a hike, even if I offered to set up a time days in advance.
    Good luck!
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Bike
    Yes
    If you have the restrictions removed it should be no problem, or get someone that has one go with you. I had no problem with my learners and friend had his class 6.
    A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg, even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.

Is livin life. Good or bad, whatever happens, happens.

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    It's all about liability. They don't want to be held responsible if something happens. Questions like why did you let the person test ride w/o the proper license? If you can find a shop that will let you with someone leading then go for it.
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Bike
    A ---> B
    If you have your MSA, there shouldn't be any liability, technally, you're allowed to ride except for certain conditions, if none of those conditions are being violated, it shouldn't be a problem.

I test rode a couple with my MSA, but they were either private or private through the dealer, but no one had any problems.

All you can do is ask.

Bike
    The Mighty One
    I think it's more finding a place that's comfortable with letting you take a bike out. I don't think liability is an issue, it's trust, all those bikes are insured with collision when they go out for a test ride AFAIK.

I think they'll tell you to take a hike if you hand them an interim license. If you go in with the intention of test riding bring lots of extra ID.

Bike
    Not sure anymore
    Thanks a lot guys. I think all I can do is just go and try. I give the impression of a very responsible person so maybe I can sway them... Anyway, I won't be bugging anyone till I have the money in hand so that may help my cause as well. Thanks for all the input though.

Bike
    2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxstar
    I think it's more finding a place that's comfortable with letting you take a bike out. I don't think liability is an issue, it's trust, all those bikes are insured with collision when they go out for a test ride AFAIK.

I think they'll tell you to take a hike if you hand them an interim license. If you go in with the intention of test riding bring lots of extra ID.
    yep,.. ID ID! I've never test ridden a bike, but there was a guy some time last summer who did with just a credit card, and ended up never coming back. Turned out that the credit card was not his.
    .()_()
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Bike
    2002 Honda CBR 954RR

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kamui
    yep,.. ID ID! I've never test ridden a bike, but there was a guy some time last summer who did with just a credit card, and ended up never coming back. Turned out that the credit card was not his.

I guest this guy is not going to be "Sales man of the Month"

Just a credit card and he give a test ride? What a dumb ass!!!