first bike for a squid
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: first bike for a squid

Bike
    sv650s

Question first bike for a squid

Hi, i'm new to this site, so i'm sure i'll get the obligatory "", but yeah, my question is what bike i sould get as a first. I'm thinking about the following

-'99 SV 650
    -'99 gixxer 600
    -'99 F4
    -'01 F4i

and if i'm completely insane:

-turbo 'busa (jk)

The debate is also whether to have fairings or not, though i know frame sliders are out there to help. I just basically wanted to ask the opinion of the experienced riders out there what they thought. The reason why would wouldn't find any yammies on the list is i don't want to be looking for 2nd gear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

What we play is life. Array RiceRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Honda VFR
    First, welcome to the site. You'll be addicted soon enough.

Secondly, with all due respect, my first thought is "geez, another one of these questions." It wouldn't be too hard for you to find hundreds of threads answering this same question. Try doing search for "first bike".

You're gonna get the guy who says don't get a 600 because you're gonna drop it as a newbie...get a less powerful bike which you're not gonna kill yourself on. Then you're gonna get the guy who says get the bike without fairings so you don't have to spend a whole lot of money fixing the plastic because it's inevitable you're gonna drop it as a newbie. Then you're gonna get the guy who says I've been riding x number of years and I've never dropped my bike so don't listen to those paranoid idiots. Then you're gonna get the die hard Honda fan who's gonna say get the Honda for reliability and comfort. Then you're gonna get the hard core Suzuki fan who's gonna tell you how shitty a Honda is on the track compared to a gixxer, and how boring it is. Then some yahoo's gonna say forget the 600's get a litre bike. Then you're gonna get the guy who's gonna say screw what everybody else says it's your money so just get what you want. In the end, I don't know how it's all gonna help you.

Bottom line is get your license, if you haven't yet, then go try out the bikes and you'll find the one most suited for you. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by RiceRocket; 01-24-2004 at 11:44 PM.

Bike
    sv650s
    thank you for your imput, i do understand it's another one of "these" questions. i'm more interested on peoples personal experiences, but i think you probably summed up just about every reply i could get.

I do all my own stunts Array boarder's Avatar
    Bike
    only 1 bike now, '02 gsxr750
    Welcome!

Rice rocket said what I was gonna say but I still agree with the trying stuff out. I just started riding a gsxr750, for a starter bike, i don't think a gixxer is the best. the riding position is very agressive, i'd go with the CBR or SV, when ur sittin in traffic, you'll thank yourself.
    anyone wanna lend me a bike ?

Bike
    2002 SV650S Ghost
    Still being a newbie myself, I agree with RR. He's a smart man, who loves his KK donuts.

Basically, you gotta decide for yourself, but take everyone's advice on what they've ridden.

A 600, such as a GSX-R or R6 is a little dangerous.

Cheapest of your group is the SV. If you wanna go track, as RR said, the F4 is probably better, and the GSX-R is the best.

Don't forget to consider the Kawi ZX6. Another good starter bike from what I've seen.

If you want a good city bike, the SV is the best, but if you are looking for fun, the F4 or F4i is probably better for you. Some have started on R6s and other powerful bikes, but be realistic with yourself. Also, just look for in the buy and sell for a long time.

FAROH
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceRocket
    First, welcome to the site. You'll be addicted soon enough.

Secondly, with all due respect, my first thought is "geez, another one of these questions." It wouldn't be too hard for you to find hundreds of threads answering this same question. Try doing search for "first bike".

You're gonna get the guy who says don't get a 600 because you're gonna drop it as a newbie...get a less powerful bike which you're not gonna kill yourself on. Then you're gonna get the guy who says get the bike without fairings so you don't have to spend a whole lot of money fixing the plastic because it's inevitable you're gonna drop it as a newbie. Then you're gonna get the guy who says I've been riding x number of years and I've never dropped my bike so don't listen to those paranoid idiots. Then you're gonna get the die hard Honda fan who's gonna say get the Honda for reliability and comfort. Then you're gonna get the hard core Suzuki fan who's gonna tell you how shitty a Honda is on the track compared to a gixxer, and how boring it is. Then some yahoo's gonna say forget the 600's get a litre bike. Then you're gonna get the guy who's gonna say screw what everybody else says it's your money so just get what you want. In the end, I don't know how it's all gonna help you.

Bottom line is get your license, if you haven't yet, then go try out the bikes and you'll find the one most suited for you. Different strokes for different folks.

HOLY crap ,,that's the whole thing in a nutshell ,,nicely put

kemest
    i just purchased an 04 kawasaki zx6 rr and its great handles like a bicycle

Registered User Array maninblack's Avatar
    Bike
    14 Cbr1000rr / 13 S1000rr /13 Fury/07 ZX 10r
    it really doesnt matter what you get , but first buy some proper gears

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    Get a liter bike. Ride in shorts and a t-shirt. Spend all your $$ on bling

welcome

More than meets the eye Array Pvt. BLOGGINS's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 Katana 750, 1992 GS500
    Demo Days, Friends, Demo Days, Friends, test ride everything you think you want, and then some that you don't want, some look great parked, but you may not find them as comforable to ride.

mattninja250
    Listen to the people saying "an R6??! HELL NO!! SO UNFORGIVING...O but the honda's...perfect for a newbie"

They know everything

SharkyDD

I love my F4...

Well... I would say that budget and insurance costs aside, look for something you can handle, and take the advice of someone who cares more about what you're going to look like when you're 60 - over the advice of someone who's going to make some afternoon drinkin' cash by selling you a ride!
    Their are tons of hop-up and custom parts for any of the 600's, but I would lean towards the Honda, Yamaha, and then Kawi's. I don't understand how anyone can say that as a first bike, you'll need more that 100 HP under you a$$, but some do. Get a bike that you can ride within you limits until you get used to the hanous traffic. Then, after riding for a while (if you're not totally disalusioned) you will have a better idea of what you want to spend your Sunday morning's shinin' up in your driveway!

GL buddy!

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    Ok, so if you're not going to step up and buy a liter bike, then here is some advice:

1: Decide on your gear (don't pick a colour yet). Figure out what it will cost. Figure in insurance. Ad $$ for tax etc.

2: Look at what you can afford to throw away in terms of $$. Think hard. Buy a first bike that is below that $$ amount.

IMO, if you buy a bike that is so expensive that you're always worried about getting a scratch on it, I think you're doing it wrong. I ride a slow bike (I really do) a 600 Katana. But you know what, it's heavy slow and fairly forgiving and riding and pushing that bike doesn't scare me. If you get something that will freak you out then you won't push it and then you won't learn. Or you'll push it and find yourself in the ditch.

Short version: Buy less bike than you think you can handle. And if you end up with a 500 or less, that's fine too. Are you buying a bike to impress others? Or to learn to ride and enjoy the experience, meet new people with the same interests?

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    This is how I'd start:

-SV650
    -proper gear
    -rider training--including training on the track

The SV is a nice bike: it's plenty quick without being intimidating, not too expensive to buy, not too expensive to run, and reasonably comfortable. Sounds nice, too.

Good luck with your decision.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2010 Z1000
    Aren't you one of the newbies that was interested in my 137 hp 805 race bike?

Yep thats right you and Harps racer wanna be cousin.
    Now what was it I told that guy "I don't think this bike is for you"

BTW

Ps buy my TRACK BIKE http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31305 No newbies thanks
    Last edited by Good old Pete; 04-04-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.