F4i Cam Chain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: F4i Cam Chain

'04 R1 - You are mine! Array FloMan's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes please! Oh! That wasn't a question?

F4i Cam Chain

I changed the cam chain tensioner on my F4i for the second time this season...
    Aparently after about 1000k's they go to shit...the only problem resulting is the vibration that occurs between 5000 and 7000 RPM's ...
    Does anyone know what else can be done to fix this besides changing the part every 3 months?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids
    Not clear what you had to do: replace the cam chain OR adjust the tensioner?

Eiher way, this does not sound like something that should be part of your "regular maintenance schedule"!

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Go for a manual aftermarket one. I understand that many people that put these in, adjusted once and haven't touched it since. At worst you might have to tweak it once a season.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Ol' Whatshisname... Array silversurfer's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 CBR600 F4i
    Yeah, I had mine changed in February, and it's starting to rattle again.

I don't think that the part will actually fail, but the sound is definately annoying. It's starting to piss me off too. As far as I can tell the only options are:
    1. Keep replacing stock CCT every few months (until your warranty expires).
    2. Get extremely loud exhaust so you can't hear the CCT.
    3. Purchase and install a manual CCT and adjust it yourself.

I haven't looked into it too much yet, but I think the manual CCT is the way to go.

gsxr6racer
    I have a manual CCT on my Suzuki and it seems to work really well. It was installed for less parasitic losses before I bought the bike. I would definitely consider doing it to my next street bike.

Bike
    only the best
    i just had my cct replaced .... i can already head bad things
    brewing....

Lowside.ca
    Yep....Just got mine replaced at RMS yesterday. IOm just waiting for that rattling to start again. I think while im under warranty Ill see how many I can get out of them, and after that Ill go to a manual tensioner for peace of mind.

Bike
    Yeah right!
    That's exactly how i'm approaching my situation. Replaced only once, but it's starting to rattle again, that bitch. gonna keep doing it until warranty expires and then i'll get a manual one.

Can someone clear this up - what is being replaced? What does the CCT look like and what causes the rattle? I'm guessing the chain goes slack for some reason? What do you adjust on a manual one?

Thanks....

Originally posted by Lowside.ca
    Yep....Just got mine replaced at RMS yesterday. IOm just waiting for that rattling to start again. I think while im under warranty Ill see how many I can get out of them, and after that Ill go to a manual tensioner for peace of mind.

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    Do you guys know which revision of the CCT you have been getting as replacements? The latest revision is supposed to be good, but maybe not.

Mine is acting up now too, even though my bike is an F4.

Bike
    Got the same one..the new and improved version is not available yet!

CBR600F2
    Originally posted by FloMan
    Got the same one..the new and improved version is not available yet!
    when will it be available, and will it be available under warranty???

by the way, does this rattle have serious negative results to performance, longevity of bike, eventual major damage or ANYTHING?>?.... or is it just nothing more than an annoyance?

Bike
    I've been told ( by the dealership mechanics mind you) that it doesn't affect anything...it's just annoying ...What it does ( to my bike atleast) it sends this small rattle or vibration through the whole bike...it feels like the farings arent put on tight...

The new one should be available anyday now...

CBR600F2
    Originally posted by FloMan
    The new one should be available anyday now...
    that is real real real good to know.

Bike
    as a matter of fact you should call mark at richmond motorsports and ask if it's available yet..he's an awsome guy..he runs the shop( I think)

Lowside.ca
    Are you guys saying that there is another one being released that is newer than the J22 part??? The original was the J21 and honda tried to re-engineer it and came out with the J22 part. I havent heard of another one being released, but if it is the case I hope they have fixed it. The J22 IS supposed to be a little better, but it still goes bad(maybe lasts about twice as long).

As far as performance goes, just the rattling at first wont do anything but annoy the hell out of you. But if it eventually failed on you, and the cam chain went slack enough to jump a tooth or more, you'd be in for some nice engine work. I wouldnt let it go for too long if it was me.

Lets hope they will FINALLY release a good part to put an end to all this.
    Last edited by Lowside.ca; 06-05-2002 at 12:53 AM.