New Bike and New Questions..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Bike and New Questions..

BikerGirl

Question New Bike and New Questions..

Hello to all .... wonderful to be back ... and with some great news ... yesterday I bought my second bike, a beautiful red and silver 2002 F41 - only 1,000 kms on it and real steal. I'm selling my 2001 Ninja 250 and am looking forward to moving up (well in class anyway) the Bike has now been lowered as low as it can (including the installation of a lowering kit) and the balls of my feet are on the now just on the ground. My big concern and what I'm hoping to get some advice on is Frame Sliders and the pros and cons of modifying the fairing to install same.

I've looked into and have investigated the types of sliders available for this bike and the type which simply screws into one of the fairing holes seems to be weak. The only other option is the type which is bolted to frame but requires a hole to be cut into the fairing itself.

Is this common? Does it reduce the actual value of the bike? Will it really help save bike? Is it worth it?

Any recommendations on which kind, what brand? Who should install them?

Any comments would be great .... I'm just so excited.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

keepin' it steel Array GuySmiley's Avatar
    Bike
    (^_^)
    Woo! Congrats.

Sliders are A Good Idea. Get the ones that bolt directly to the frame if you can; the others have been known to break off easily. Cut holes in the fairing; it shouldn't reduce the value of the bike. And yes, they are worth it for lowspeed lay-downs. They are meant to stop the frame from being damaged, but in slow tip overs they can actually save the fairing as well.

Read this for more info:
    http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28560
    Mr. Burns: "Remember Homer, there is no muscle stronger than the human heart."
    Homer: "What about the weiner? I saw some guy on TV lift a can of paint with his."

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    if done properly will look like factory install and yes they will help save the fairing in the event of a crash. a hole saw works great to make a perfectly round hole and a little file work and it will look like Honda did it themselves. a good investment.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    It may reduce the appeal of your bike later when you go to sell it for some people but then again so does a lot of fairing scratches and cracks. I'd say it's worth it especially if you're as "inseam challenged" as you seem to be saying. It's just that much more possible that you will lay it down at some point if your precariously placed foot should slip. Like the others said though, if it's done well it'll look factory and will actually draw some people while putting off others. I say do it but be sure it's done well.

If you should decide to attend the West Coast Superbike School's ART course at some point then consider having your bike raised at least a bit for the course. Julia took the course with a lowered F4i and got good enough and comfortable enough to haul it into the hairpin only to drag the exhaust can and lever herself into a lowside.

In any case congrats on the upgrade. It's going to be a good summer for you....
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

BikerGirl
    Thanks for all the comments. You've sold me on it being okay to cut into the fairing. Any recommendations as to who can do this type of work well?

California dreamin' Array KatRider's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerGirl
    Thanks for all the comments. You've sold me on it being okay to cut into the fairing. Any recommendations as to who can do this type of work well?

Any motorcycle shop should be able to do it. I'd suggest that you try one of the smaller shops -- e.g., Bomax (Bby), 5th Gear (Whiterock), Imperial Motorcycles (Bby), etc.
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!

pronounced as-wee-pay Array effenay's Avatar
    Bike
    F4
    If you feel inclined to install the frame sliders yourself, here are a couple how-to guides:

http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/frameslider.html

http://www.rc51.org/slider.htm

BBQ Squadron Member Array Dark()Knight's Avatar
    Bike
    Batcycle
    I had my done by Bomax.... great job... great service....
    Can not go wrong at all....
    Be Happy for this moment.... This moment is your life.

It is not about Anger,
    It's about Peace.
    It is not about Power,
    It's about Grace.
    It is not about knowing your enemy,
    It's about knowing yourself.

Bike
    2006 FIREBLADE 1000

Frame sliders

I just picked a pair of frame sliders from , LowSide, the chromed ones , they are quality made sliders machined from billett alum and came with the mounting hardware, the fellow that sells them even dillevered them to me at work, They fit and look excellent on the 954 You can contact them at www.lowside.ca They are locally made, He also has the two peice sliders with delron pucks on them.

lowside
    Bikergirl, one thing you might want to consider is bar end sliders and swingarm sliders. Unfortunately the F4I does not have mount points for these but are easy enough to have welded on to your swingarm. These and the frame sliders all work well together to keep practically the entire bike off the ground in the event of a tip over.

I am not at all associated with the Lowside company, just a coincidence!

Spanish Pants
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerGirl
    V-Twin OOches is great with power tools

back on the street Array lowlife's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 GSXR 750 (race only), 2015 Ninja 1000 (street)
    I have lowside frame sliders, on my 99 F4, had to cut the fairings, but when I dropped it Wednesday morning it was all worth it. Only minor damage to the frame slider, but nothing at all on the fairing...... check them out
    www.lowside.ca

They have an aluminum base with replacable plastic ends....
    WMRC #97
    EMRA/CMRA #97

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    frame sliders and bar sliders will help make a difference in case of a drop. Even more so after hearing that you had to have the bike lowered as much as possible.
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    I am quite expert at installing frame sliders on F4i bikes. I've done installs for bomax as well. PM if you want it done.

Bike
    2002 Honda CBR 954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinist
    I just picked a pair of frame sliders from , LowSide, the chromed ones , they are quality made sliders machined from billett alum and came with the mounting hardware, the fellow that sells them even dillevered them to me at work, They fit and look excellent on the 954 You can contact them at www.lowside.ca They are locally made, He also has the two peice sliders with delron pucks on them.

I got a pair of chrome ones for my 954 too...checkout the pics in my gallery.

I really liked them, they're look awesome. Have you put yours on yet?