Long distance tires - Max Burns
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long distance tires - Max Burns

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R

Long distance tires - Max Burns

Any suggestions for long distance and durable tires. I got a FZ1 and I was plannig some long trips and I wanted to be prepared for Max Burns if I had to. Any suggestions?
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids
    Don't you like the stock 020's?

I'm interested in the new Metzler Z6.

Both of those are "sport-touring", so I imagine you could definitely go for more longevity by moving away from "sport" and more towards "touring".

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R
    The 020's are good, but I thought they wore pretty quick. Only managed 13,000 kms on them.
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

Bike
    its blue
    Well, I was going to suggest BT010's for more grip, but since you want more life than your 020's you could always look at the 045's.

Although, I usually want more grip and will accept the tradeoff of less life. Having said that, 010/020's are quite long wearing already.

dn
    The Dunlop D220's (I think) were great. Did over 20000km on them and they were still fine.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury
    The 020's are good, but I thought they wore pretty quick. Only managed 13,000 kms on them.
    You're either a very hard ridin' sort a guy or you don't keep the tires properley inflated. That's not very much for a set of 020's. Hell my wife got that much on her Beemer with 010's and we only changed them at that point because they were squared off enough to affect the handling feel and not because they were anywhere near the wear marks.

If you are a hard rider I don't think you'll like a harder tire. You'll notice more slipping to go along with the extra life.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids
    My experience coincides with Bruce's comments: I got almost 18k kms out of my OEM 020's, mostly on not-so-spirited riding.

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R
    I am just down the the wear indicators and it looks like all I got left is the indicators to wear down. The handling did start to feel funny too. It might be the surfaces too. I did some good miles on interstate slabs, chip pavement, and unmaintained Death Valley roads (pretty much like gravel). Plus I was loaded with about 60lbs of gear on top of my 180lbs.

I rode conservatively on the trip to Cali, but I guess the pavement, load, and long day rides puts more wear on the rear. My front BT56s don't even look worn.

I have already put an 010 on the rear (cost me breakfast at whitespot), and the handling is much better. we'll see how long this one lasts.
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I suspect that had something to do with it. How much rear pressure do you run when on tour? It should be just over 40 from the books and my experience. Much into the 30's and you'll accelerate the wear.

Gord, 18,000 out of 020's riding sensibly for the most part sounds about right to me.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Been riding since 1985 Array philtag6000's Avatar
    Bike
    Coming soon
    I was told that the Michelin Pilot Road (not Sport) can get around 20,000 kms.
    Anyone?
    Last edited by philtag6000; 04-29-2004 at 07:50 PM.
    History of bikes:

(1) '85 Honda Elite 150cc
    (2) '84 Honda Interceptor 500cc
    (3) '89 Kawasaki Ninja 600cc
    (4) '89 Honda Hurricane 600cc
    (5) '00 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
    (6) '02 Honda CBR600F4i
    (7) '04 Suzuki Burgman 400cc

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R
    I heard that if you run under pressured, you avoid squaring b/c it allows the center to be pressed instead of worn.

My cold pressures were about 38-40.
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    it may allow your center to wear in a cup shape, you dont want that. underinflation also makes your tire build more heat quicker, which also will help to burn away your rubber.
    no

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R
    crap.
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    But 38 to 40 isn't that low. So it looks like we're done to your secret penchant for doing burnouts every chance you get....

It could very well have been due to the roads you were on. But next time when on tour with all your gear be sure the tires are up around 42 or so. What does your owner's manual say for your bike? I'd check the Fizzy manual for my wife's bike but she keeps it locked in her underseat trunk.

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R
    The FZ calls for 42/42 cold. Every morning I checked the tires and they were about 38. I never checked them the rest of the day.

I remember looking at my rear tire during the Cali trip after a mild afternoon. The center actually looked like it was shedding tiny bits. Not melting like a track session, only finer and drier bits of rubber. This was coming off an interstate 120 - 130 kph.
    Funny thing, I only noticed this type off shedding once during the trip. Perhaps there were some moments of hard acceleration just before I stopped that time.
    Your Anguish Sustains Me