520 conversion. Should I do it?

Thread: 520 conversion. Should I do it?

He is a Ninja...What!? Array tekwrekkid's Avatar
    Bike
    05 636

520 conversion. Should I do it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2463158156

It's $145 US, including shipping. Think I'd find a better deal anywhere else? And I don't know much about chains, but is that one okay? It's a Gold RK/Takasago 120 linkGB520XSO chain.

They recommend 14 front, 45 rear for optimum acceleration. Your thoughts?

thanks,
    jamie

ps, i've already searched this forum about chains and sprockets etc. i just wanna talk about this particular product. so don't go telling me to do a search.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    1975 Snortin' Norton Commando, 19somethin` Old . . . .
    personally, i wouldn't bother. it's a lot of money for not much gain.

instead, if you haven't already done so i'd spend that money on the West Coast Superbike School's Advanced Rider Course . . . . what you learn there will last a lifetime

don't shoot me, just my opinion

Bike
    05 636
    Yes, I plan on taking a course like that sometime this season. But my bike definately needs a new chain and the sprockets are somewhat worn.

Bike
    1975 Snortin' Norton Commando, 19somethin` Old . . . .
    why the 520 conversion, though? surely the stock chain size with differently geared sprockets would give you what you want for a lot less?

i would only get a 520 conversion on a race bike, but once again, just my opinion

Bike
    05 636
    Yeah. that's a good point. I really just want more torque. I thought maybe a lighter chain and sprocket set would be better too. Thanks for your opinion - it makes sense. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Any recommendations for a place to do this? Should I try and buy the hardware myself or just have the shop order it for me.

Bike
    Notta
    I picked up a used 520 RK chain with new vortex front and rear sprockets for $40US to my door. If you look for it, you will find deals like that on ebay as well.

I have ordered from the seller that you are looking at, and the came across as good people and their prices weren't too bad either.

Give mspeed and some of the local dealers a try before you place your order online. It can sometimes take a long time to receive parts through the mail.
    "It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your ass out all day long" - THE NOTORIOUS CHERRY BOMBS

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    We sell lots of 520 conversions , there great about 7 lbs less weight and cheaper than 530 's . Just use good quality stuff . The RK gold 520 GXW is around $135 , Spike rear sprocket ( aluminum , CNC machined , hard anodized , they don't wear out ) $75
    Front sprocket around $25. Running those products we've had some bikes 130 hp and up getting more than 30000 km on the chain and sprockets. All our stunt bikes run them and I've adjusted the chain once in a year because I don't need to ,theres no wear so no stretch.

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    how does the 520 set up compare to the 525 set up?? strength and weight wise?? this question is directed at Bill!!
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    If you need the new parts anyway then I think you can do a 520 conversion for about the same price and it DOES loose a few pounds so that's good too.

It WILL wear faster as the contact surfaces are smaller what with 520 being narrower. But then most of us don't pile on the miles fast enough for that to matter.

Because of the wear issue it is not a good idea to use aluminium on the rear. For track only bikes it's fine but for street bikes it'll wear SUPER fast and bugger the chain while it's at it.

I'm planning on a Mission Track specific 520 setup for this year. I'm tired of gaining under braking and in the turns only to loose the drag race coming out of the exits.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplekawi
    how does the 520 set up compare to the 525 set up?? strength and weight wise?? this question is directed at Bill!!
    It's lighter by a around 3 to 5lbs than a stock set up. Chains are measured by tensile strength , the good 520 chains have around 8800lbs strenght and up. the cheap ones have around 5500 , you don't want those.

The only good Aluminum sprockets are the hard anodized ones , they have the same wear index as stainless steel .

Renthal , Vortex , Sprocket Specialties are garbage for long wear life. Spike's Sprocket's are amazing we've put more than 30000 km on these sprocket's with little wear .

Spike's Sprockets are not sold everywear because they have little mark up so shop's don't sell them.

Bike
    tiz Red.
    have a URL for spikes?
    BCSB- Moderator
    Spink.ca