How To Change Oil/filter/plugs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: How To Change Oil/filter/plugs

  1. #1
    MIDNIGHT_RIDER
    Guest

    How To Change Oil/filter/plugs

    HEY ALL,,
    2000CBR F4 ---HOW EASY/HARD IS IT TO CHANGE OIL,FILTER AND PLUGS

    I HEAR OIL IS SIMPLE ...ANY SUGGESTIONS. iS THERE ANY WEB PAGES THAT WOULD GUIDE ME WITH THIS PROCESS ?

    i JUST WANT TO SAVE UP SOME $ ON MY MAINTENANCE AND PAY LESS THAT IM SUPPOSED TO.

    OH YES WHAT WOULD BE ENGILE OIL CAPACITY? 3 L?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    auger
    Guest
    The oil capacity will be in your owners manual,likely around 3.5 - 4L with a filter change as well.

    You`ll have to get one of those cone type oil filter sockets? that fit onto the end of the filter to take it off.

    You will have to take the tank off to get at the sparkplugs,unless you can hinge it up like a TLR.

  4. #3
    Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Fraser Valley
    Bike
    ...
    The first time I ever changed oil on a bike, I was terrified I was going to break something. (Pathetic, I know.)
    Now it takes 10 minutes, start to finish. Most bikes are pretty standard. Run the bike for a few minutes, drain the oil (careful not to burn yourself). Once it's drained out, put the plug back in, then yank the filter. If you have a socket extension as auger suggested, it makes the job so much friggin' easier, I can't begin to explain. Clean off any spill.
    Take your new filter, pour oil into it until it's about half way filled, then rub some oil on the rubber contact gasket. Spin it on until it's handtight. Start filling the bike with oil. My bike takes 3.5 litres. Put in the first three litres, then have someone sit on the bike and start SLOWLY pouring the oil in, pausing every few seconds.
    (I didn't do this slow thing once and wound up putting in a half-litre too much. What a mess! )
    Once it's between the lines, run the bike around the block a couple times, hop off, turn it off and check for leaks. You're done!
    As for the spark plugs, auger's right. I believe on most bikes you have to remove the gas tank and (perhaps) the air filter element.
    Good luck!!
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

  5. #4
    RMR
    Guest
    I have a 99 F4 and all of those thigns are easy. The oil change as described above....and if memeory serves it's 3.3 litres in that bike with a new filter.

    Get a shop manual for your bike....a great investment. To do the plugs the tank and airbox need to be removed. You could just prop the tank up but that makes it hard to get at the airbox properly....but it is possible I guess. Also getting the plugs out can be tricky cause the frame is in the way. I had to use the tool from the stock tool kit as a regular socket etc...couldn't get into the hole. First time you do it you are looking at a couple hours, but future times should be an hour or so.

    Get the manual and life will be easier for these and other items you may want to do int he future. Also exact oil requirments should be in the owners manual if you got it with the bike.

  6. #5
    MIDNIGHT_RIDER
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RMR
    I have a 99 F4 and all of those thigns are easy. The oil change as described above....and if memeory serves it's 3.3 litres in that bike with a new filter.

    Get a shop manual for your bike....a great investment. To do the plugs the tank and airbox need to be removed. You could just prop the tank up but that makes it hard to get at the airbox properly....but it is possible I guess. Also getting the plugs out can be tricky cause the frame is in the way. I had to use the tool from the stock tool kit as a regular socket etc...couldn't get into the hole. First time you do it you are looking at a couple hours, but future times should be an hour or so.

    Get the manual and life will be easier for these and other items you may want to do int he future. Also exact oil requirments should be in the owners manual if you got it with the bike.
    GUYS YOU ARE THE BEST--THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND ADVICE--KEEP EM COMING!!!!

    ----


    OH BY THE WAY--WHERE IS THE BEEST PLACE TO BUY OIL PLUGS (MOTUL)

  7. #6
    Registered User Array J1k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    chilliwack
    Bike
    crf250r
    hey,its a pretty easy job.
    Just try to use the right tools and take your time and be patient.if possible use a torque wrench.you can do it all yourself with a manual except synching the carbs.

    i think motul is similar in price at most places depending if you get a discount or not,also you can use a hi flo oil filter to save a bit from a oem filter.
    Try lordco for sparkplugs if there not the iridiums.


    Good luck john

  8. #7
    pronounced as-wee-pay Array effenay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    604
    Bike
    F4
    As mentioned above and in your other thread, get a shop manual, it's the best $30 you'll ever spend on your bike.

    One thing you might try on your first oil change is have one of the local shops do it for you and ask if you can watch. I believe that Bill at 5th Gear is offering a pretty good deal on oil changes. J1k might help you too if you ask nicely.

  9. #8
    MIDNIGHT_RIDER
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by effenay
    As mentioned above and in your other thread, get a shop manual, it's the best $30 you'll ever spend on your bike.

    One thing you might try on your first oil change is have one of the local shops do it for you and ask if you can watch. I believe that Bill at 5th Gear is offering a pretty good deal on oil changes. J1k might help you too if you ask nicely.

    is it true that cbr s use different spark plugs that any other bikes cbr 2000 f4

  10. #9
    RMR
    Guest
    all engines (bikes or not) use spark plugs appropriate for the engine design. That is determined by the manufacturer, and when you get the new ones the shop will be able to look up your model in their reference guide and get you the proper ones. The other way is to remove an old one and take it in for a match up. I bought new NGK's for mine a month ago...and when Ipulled the old ones they were the same (there is a number printed on the side of any plug). Yours are likely NGK from the factory.....so if you have them look up the bike you'll get the right plugs.

    Again get a manual for this work....there are several hoses you need to remove to lift the airbox (and some cautionary things to prevent damage) that are well explained in the manual. If you hook the hoses up wrong the bike will be goofed...they are easy to do but the manual gives pictures and step by step instructions so you get it right the first try

  11. #10
    Why me? Array slipknot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sunny ditchmond
    Bike
    06' gsxr 1000 race
    I dunno about f4's, but F4i spark plugs are $50.00 a pop. Yes, that's $50 a pop. $40.00 for aftermarket. They are not the ngk $12.00 cheapies. They are good for something like 90,000 km. Taking the tank off without spilling gas is next to impossible. It doesn't have the quick release like Gixxers et al. You have to undo the main bolt and replace the copper washers that are existing. I use to siphon the gass out, rather than try and back the bolt off quickly and stuff shite into the holes. Oh..how I don't miss the old girl.

  12. #11
    wiggler
    Guest
    i dont understand why you say to put oil in the new filter prior to putting it on. i thought you only needed to do that to deisel vehicles and vehicles with turbo..

  13. #12
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    West Vancouver
    Bike
    '79 Honda 500SE<- Joke, I have a nice bike
    How do you do this?
    I rub oil on the seal, but I don't know how I could fill the filter. Bike filters are almost always mounted in a way that a filled filter would spill as you mounted it.

    -Sandworm
    AVATAR AmUSER and
    NOT A LAWYER

  14. #13
    wiggler
    Guest
    i really dont think you need to do it..

  15. #14
    Professional Nerd Array Android's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kamloops
    Bike
    2008 Aprilia Shiver 750
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggler
    i really dont think you need to do it..
    If you don't mind running your engine without oil for 3 seconds while the filter fills up.


    You don't HAVE to do it, but it's a good idea.
    Transportation = Recreation

    2008 Aprilia Shiver 750: Carved from pure sex
    1984 Yamaha XJ750: The desperation bike (sold)
    1981 Yamaha Seca 750: The learner bike (sold)

  16. #15
    wiggler
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Android
    If you don't mind running your engine without oil for 3 seconds while the filter fills up.


    You don't HAVE to do it, but it's a good idea.
    i think 3 seconds is a lil much

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •