Single sided swingarm conversion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Single sided swingarm conversion

Registered User Array
    Bike

Single sided swingarm conversion

Who's done a single sided swing arm conversion before?

Did you use a custom swingarm or a VFR swing arm?

I'm thinking I may do one for my Suzuki Bandit if I can find a VFR swing arm for a decent price. Looking for any info on what's involved and how it turned out.

I know I'd have to make spacers for the swing arm pivot, and make sure the chain lined up. Not quite sure what's required for the shock linkage?

Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

FAROH
    ram.mc
    metmachex.co.uk
    greggscustoms.com

i have one from metmachex ,made specifically for my bike ,based on ducati hardware awsome guys ,,vfr's are ok too ,but your limited to wheel choices and widths

Bike
    The Mighty One
    Get a hold of Borderline. I'm sure he'd love to give some advice. He has one on his zx7.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I'm pretty sure all of the custom made swing arms are outside my budget, so I'll be stuck with trying to get a VFR.

Metmachex was the only site where I could find prices, but I imagine the others are similar.
    Last edited by Streetfightin; 03-10-2004 at 10:41 PM.

FAROH
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxstar
    haha, didn't think he'd go long without seeing a SS swingarm post
    fuck im prety damn predictable huh ?lol

ssblade
    they look ugly and they really screw up the handling

FAROH
    Quote Originally Posted by ssblade
    they look ugly and they really screw up the handling
    nice one,!!!!!,i was waiting for you to show up ,you forgot it adds weight and are not as stiff

ssblade
    had ta post sumthin. just got back from doin some diagnostics with my new air/fuel meter. when you get that zx together we'll use it to sort the flatslides. i'll bet ya yours are set up way rich.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I wouldn't expect it to improve handling, but how much of a difference does it make? I'm not going to take this bike on the track or anything, just riding around on the street.

FAROH
    Quote Originally Posted by ssblade
    had ta post sumthin. just got back from doin some diagnostics with my new air/fuel meter. when you get that zx together we'll use it to sort the flatslides. i'll bet ya yours are set up way rich.
    sounds cool ,i figure it should take a good 6hrs to get it to run .lol

im actually gonna fire it up on fri ,i'l let you know how i goes ..

by the way to the thread starter if you want to know about the vfr arm conversion ask BLADE ,,he's well versed

oh yeah and it flexes under torque left hand turns ,and any time you try to wheelie ,lol

of course you could have a bike covered in a steaming pile of cowshit with flys buzzing around it and you'd stil get looks with a single swinger

FAROH
    unless your troy bayliss or ben bostrom any kind of flex torque etc wont mean shit under normal conditions,,dont forget ducati won championships on a single swinger with 180 + Hp ,and honda with the rc30,rc45 so i say flex shmex ,its all bullshit ,,it may be slighlty heavier than a regualar arm ,but with all the bracing and huge arms these days it wont be any heavier than one of those .As ong as you get the geometry the same or simliar youll never know its even changed .except for all the looks

ssblade
    i was jus fuckin with you. SSBLADE stands for singled sided fireblade. the arm looks dope and on my bike the extra inch and a half really helped stability. i'm workin on fittin a ducati spindle into my arm so don't let borderline steer you away from a vfr arm. i can't feel any flex and to compensate for the extra weight i just removed the rear brake assembly(not everyone's cup o tea). shock linkages differ from vfr years 90-93 was an inside linkage and 94-present use outside plates. be careful when choosing an arm cuz they are different in lengths ie. duc ones are longer.

FAROH
    i wasnt steering him away from the vfr .lol . but if he swapped hubs he'd have more wheel choices plus it does make for an easier and much cheaper install to go with the vfr .Let me know how the duc conversion goes ,,SS you can have my rear chrome wheel once i get my PVM's if the swap goes to plan

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SSBLADE, which shock and linkage did you use, the vfr or the blade? What did you have to do to adapt the shock/linkage?