front signlal light repair question

Thread: front signlal light repair question

front signlal light repair question

After a parking lot incident, I need to refit one of my front signal lights into the fairing. Right now it is dangling from the bike held by the electrical cord. I can sort of keep it mounted in place with the rubber boot, but it's not secure. Inside the fairing I can see a metal plate that I suppose does something to hold the signal light in place. This is a stock light btw, on a 2000 zx6r. What steps do I need to do this job? I suppose I have to remove the fairing, and take it from there. If anyone can quickly give me the steps for this, I would be greatful. I'm particularly interested in any tricky things that might not be obvious, as I've never done any work on this bike... I've never even taken off the fairing.

2. Remove Advertisements

You take your fairing off, disconnect your stock lights and get a set of flush mounts. You have possibly broken the mount for the stock one anyway so you might want to go with aftermarket signals

Devil's Advocate Array RoadBlur's Avatar
    The slums of new west
    Suzuki XV 2182
    You have to remove your fairing to get the metal plate into the 'inside' side of the boot since the plate won't go through the hole if its already on the end of the boot. Its just there to provide stiffness so the grommet/boot doesn't pop out easily (AFAIK). When I dropped my bike I just popped the rubber back in and left the plate dangle till I had a reason to remove the front fairing (which I haven't yet.. its been like 3 months and my signal light hasn't fallen out even at very high speed).

I'm assuming you did what I did:

Yup, same colour too. Is it pretty easy to take the fairing off?

Flush mounts???

Where can you get a set of flush mount front signals?? A friend of mine has a 86 VFR750 which has been dropped previously. (Aren't brothers wonderful) Both of his front signals are cracked and very loose. Are the flush mounts model specific or are they generic.

Flush mount are generic. Most are from Lochhart-Phillips and can be found at almost every bike shop. Because they are generic, they don't fit perfect on all bikes. Take mine for example. I had to drill a small hole in my fairing. I've heard of others who made a small plate for the inside of the fairing to screw into because the hole left by the originals was too big.