Sprockets, need to drop RPM

Thread: Sprockets, need to drop RPM

Cool Sprockets, need to drop RPM

Hey, I want to put different sprockets on my machine to drop my RPM on the highway. right now @ 110k I'm spinning 6000rpm. I'm going on a long road trip and want to get the revs down. My stock rear sprocket has 48 teeth, and the front 16. What would you sugest for highway use.

2. Remove Advertisements

North Van
    Zx6 07, Crf 450r, Yz250f
    If u change the front counter shaft sproket it would be simpler and cheaper, but remember 1 tooth on the front is equal to 2 teeth on the rear, so go 1 tooth bigger on the front. Remember u will loose that quick get up and go u once had with this gearing change, and u may have to slip the clutch a little more when leaving a stop, but it will help u on the highway.

Yur' jokin right? 110k at 7000 rpm (are you in 3rd or 4th gear?)

how about gearing up? (or am i missing something).

Put her into four or fifth gear?

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,

Re: What?!

Originally posted by Bent
    Yur' jokin right? 110k at 7000 rpm (are you in 3rd or 4th gear?)

how about gearing up? (or am i missing something).

Put her into four or fifth gear?
    This IS an R6 we're talking about here so I'm assuming that it's geared so that it can spin a little more towards it redline of 15500.

Thrillhouse, there's nothing wrong with spinning that engine that high. It's still less tha half it rpm range. Even my 9R spins around 5500 at 110 to 120 so yours isn't out of line at all.

If you do want to go one bigger on the front then just be sure you have about 1/2 inch or so of forward travel on the chain adjusters or it's a new chain for you.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

BMatthews is right. 6k isn't outragous. 1 tooth up front is equal to 3 in the back (not 2) and is worth 1000 rpm off the top or 500 at mid range. The reason for changing the front is cost. The front gear is 1/4 the cost of a rear. The R6 can run 7000+ for extended periods so I wouldn't really worry about it. On a 600 you want to be running at the bottom end of your powerband so your current gearing is optimum.

North Vancouver
    98 Suzuki TLS
    Spinning a motorcycle engine at 6k rpm is fine. If you go with the bigger front sprocket, you'll be noticing alot slower acceleration. If acceleration in the city isn't all the important to you, then go for it. But keep in mind also that if you hover at a range of 3-5 thousand RPM on the highway, you won't have alot of snappy power to make passes in 6th gear. You'd be seeing yourself downshift alot more for hills and passing cars. You would probably find yourself cruising at a higher average speed, but still hanging at 6 thousand rpm in order to stay somewhat in the power of the rev range. The last thing you want to be doing is bogging the engine.

I love knowing that I'm taking care of my engine and have discussed maintenance issues with alot of people with ten's of thousands of kilometers on their bikes. I think GSX-R Tony on this board had over 100,000 miles on his 92 gixxer. The general consensus is that long trips where you hang at 6-9k rpms are normal and well within the operating range for a 600cc in-line 4 sportbike engine keeping in mind regular oil change intervals.

Hope the info helps
    I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.

Remember it might screw up your speedometer if you change sprockets, so be carefull about cops.

And you'll probably be slipping your clutch more in 1st gear to get it going since 1st on most bikes is quite tall!