Yamy Tranys??????

Thread: Yamy Tranys??????

North Van
    Zx6 07, Crf 450r, Yz250f

Yamy Tranys??????

I am having more trouble with yamaha tranys this year than I have had in my whole life, 2R6 motors and now my VMAX. Is any one familiar with the shifter drum and shift pins on the Yamaha VMAX transmission. I have just lost the 3rd gear shift pin for the third time in 4 years, the same thing happened every time. The tab that holds the pin is bent and the hole the pin sits in is oval ( it should be round), and the pin is gone... I hope it is stuck in the oil pump screen. I didn't miss a shift and I don't thrash the bike I can't see a reason for this. The repair job is easy but ridding back from Whistler in 3rd aint no fun, I need help.

2. Remove Advertisements

Don't know how to fix it but do know that Yami sucks when it comes to tranys. Don't know if they have gotten any better yet though. Humm, I think I will contact them.

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Oval sucks. I gather you'll need to replace the shift drum as well as that pin.

It's obviously a soft metal in that drum that's letting the pin come loose. Not a solution, just an observation of the obvious that you have already guessed I'm sure.

There's a fairly large Vmax community on the web. Have you checked for aftermarket solutions with them?
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.