Tires for CBR600F2

Thread: Tires for CBR600F2

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike

Tires for CBR600F2

Time to replace the tires on the F2 I just bought (knew that before I bought it -- helped bring down the purchase price). To all those who own/have owned F2s, what are your experiences and/or recommendations with different brands? I ride every day so need something durable, but also sticky enough for enthusiastic sport riding on weekends (possibly a track day or two, but I'm no Rossi so I won't exactly be burning them up). If you remember what you paid for the tires, too, that would be a help.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Check out the tire sticky above. Loads of reviews there along with what bikes they are on.

To add to my review on the Sportec M1's they are standing up very well at about 8000kms and look like they'll make it well past 12,000 without the handling degrading too badly.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    Thanks for the tip, TeeTee -- I'll check out the tire review sticky.

Cheers!

Registered User Array darkroast's Avatar
    Bike
    Its 0x00FF00!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomaFoo
    Time to replace the tires on the F2 I just bought (knew that before I bought it -- helped bring down the purchase price). To all those who own/have owned F2s, what are your experiences and/or recommendations with different brands? I ride every day so need something durable, but also sticky enough for enthusiastic sport riding on weekends (possibly a track day or two, but I'm no Rossi so I won't exactly be burning them up). If you remember what you paid for the tires, too, that would be a help.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
    I am happy with my D207s (Dunlop) for my F3 - the Dunlop fitment has the same tire for the F2. DKR has a front D207 for a good deal - check his recent posting on this site. The D208s are the latest. I have over 7k on my rear D207 and it still looks great - I am not skilled enough to advise about grip limits, etc. All I can say is that the rear has wobbled only once and that was because I was 'playing around' with my rear brake in the wet. I am about to replace my front, but as that came with my pre-owned bike I do not know what kind of mileage it has given.

Good luck.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Interesting point about F2 and, presumably F3, wobbles. Mine does this on the track now and then but ONLY when I have too firm a grip and stiff arms on the bars. I soon learned to keep a comfortable grip on the controls and to relax my arms totally other than the steering inputs when cornering and take ALL the weight in my torso and leg muscles. If I'm in a corner and I'm trying to reposition my body, trying to pull myself forward or something else and I feel the bars start to shake I immediatley relax my arms and the bars settle right down. Something to think about and try on your bikes. Particularly on corner exits when you're accelerating. The only time my arms put a load into the bars is under braking.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    Interesting point about F2 and, presumably F3, wobbles. Mine does this on the track now and then but ONLY when I have too firm a grip and stiff arms on the bars. I soon learned to keep a comfortable grip on the controls and to relax my arms totally other than the steering inputs when cornering and take ALL the weight in my torso and leg muscles. If I'm in a corner and I'm trying to reposition my body, trying to pull myself forward or something else and I feel the bars start to shake I immediatley relax my arms and the bars settle right down. Something to think about and try on your bikes. Particularly on corner exits when you're accelerating. The only time my arms put a load into the bars is under braking.
    Good point, Tee Tee, and one of the most valuable lessons I learned on the race track. It's said that most wobbles are rider-induced, and if your bike is set up correctly (alignment, tire balancing, chassis attitude, etc.), it's amazing what easing up on the 'death-grip' at the bars - in favour of a controlled but relaxed hold - will do for your bike's handling, and your confidence.