what kind of helmet earphones ?

Thread: what kind of helmet earphones ?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    New in 92 honda 900RR

what kind of helmet earphones ?

looking for a good pair of helmet earphones for my mp3 player,, ive seen some good ones on the net, http://www.clearercom.com/Helmetspeaker.htm
    does anyone know of a dealer who sells some good ones that velcro in the helmet? ahem,, "stereo" ones .

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

wiggler
    i just went to future shop and got these!
    they work awesome

Wear proper gear pls ;) Array R1 GIRL's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Replica
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh cbr1000
    looking for a good pair of helmet earphones for my mp3 player,, ive seen some good ones on the net, http://www.clearercom.com/Helmetspeaker.htm
    does anyone know of a dealer who sells some good ones that velcro in the helmet? ahem,, "stereo" ones .
    Hey Josh, if you end up buying those ones of the net, let me know how they work out... actually, just keep me posted anyway. I have mono speakers in my helmet, from an old communicator, and I was thinking of upgrading to some real stereo ones. A guy at Radio Shack suggested that I just take apart a pair of regular headphones and mount 'em in the helmet, but I am not that creative... so I wouldn't mind trying out those ones that you posted a link to if they turn out to work okay.

PS. I can't ride with ear plugs even so wearing headphones and sliding the helmet on overtop doesn't work for me.
    Jody - R1 GIRL
    R.I.P. Ethan, Bog, Dan, Cody, Ralston and my angel in the sky, Julia - my friends, all of you will be loved and remembered forever

Registered User Array CyBeR_Pinky's Avatar
    Bike
    red and black
    Koss makes "theplug" headphones... they are foam earplus that have good sound... they have been around for a while and are very popular with bikers.

or Im testing out some new high end panasonic Earbuds... RPHJE50S. They are similar to the Koss in that they are plugs but they have a better frequency response. I just ordered a wack of them in so you'll find them in all A&B Stores in about 2 weeks.

Those sony headphones (MDRJ10L) you might not like as they tend to twist out of the ear from time to time and their sound isn't as good. Low end sony headphones aren't really worth it IMO.

Don't carry any that velcro into a helmet...

Jet Blast
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh cbr1000
    I've got the one's you mentioned above from clearercom, and they work great. I just got them last week actually!
    Only problem I could see, is that I had to turn my MP3 player way up to hear music, but I think my small MP3 player ( http://us.creative.com/products/prod...20&product=110 ) doesn't have enough output(Not enough for my liking anyways). I need to figure out how to put an amplifier on my MP3 player!! ha ha
    Other than that, they sound great!!!! Maybe the bigger MP3 player's might have alot more output???

Just a hint, if you do buy them. Go slow poke on the shipping, as it'll save you money, and gets to you faster believe it or not! Mine arrived in 2-3 days! They shipped it air mail(Canada post), even know I didn't pay to have them "FEDEX-ED". Canada Post seemed to work just fine for me!

thainer
    has anyone had problems with wearing earphones? one of my buddies got a ticket down in seattle for wearing earphones while riding... i figure it might just be because he's canadian and the cop figured it would be an easy ticket..

thoughts? legal knowledge on the situation?

Wear proper gear pls ;) Array R1 GIRL's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Replica
    Quote Originally Posted by thainer
    has anyone had problems with wearing earphones? one of my buddies got a ticket down in seattle for wearing earphones while riding... i figure it might just be because he's canadian and the cop figured it would be an easy ticket..

thoughts? legal knowledge on the situation?
    Another reason why I ride with the speakers in my helmet, rather than earphones in my ears. You can argue its the same as a car stereo. With my speakers in my helmet, I can still hear background road noise, just like a car. I think that walkmans and the like are illegal on a bike and a car, but I'm not 100% sure on that one, makes sense though.
    Jody - R1 GIRL
    R.I.P. Ethan, Bog, Dan, Cody, Ralston and my angel in the sky, Julia - my friends, all of you will be loved and remembered forever

harveymushman

Earphone suggestions

I have used the Sony earbuds for nearly 4 years now. I have used them with both MP3 Ipod players and also with mini discs. They are not cheap...around 70$ or so. But the bass is good and you can hear it over the windnoise just fine. I commuted from Whistler for almost 4 years twice a week 4 months a year on my bike and couldn't have done it without music.
    Only the "deep in the ear" earphones work. Anything else does not. I tried a lot of different combinations over the last many, many years. Don't waste you money on anything else.

On legality, I have been pulled over probably 5 times with my earbuds in, taken my helmet off twice with buds in and never has a cop said a word. If they asked, I would say they are just like ear plugs to deaden the noise of my way loud exhaust!

Bike
    ohoneninetwonine
    take a decent set of headphones apart and inbed them in your cheekpads of course you need to do some wiring then but its not hard. I also put a headphone jack into the side of my helmet so I can just pulg into the side of my lid.

I did this to avoid the wires hanging out of the helmet situation that drives me insane you also don't have to worry about ripping either the wires of the earbuds out when you take you lid off.
    You wouldn't believe the number of tools you meet selling tools

Registered User Array
    Bike
    New in 92 honda 900RR
    the typical earbuds that i've been using so far, are alright, but as soon as i put on my helmet, somtimes they come out of place,, also removing the helmet with the earbuds jammed in my ears is quite a painfull process somtimes, i'll try a few things out, perhaps i'll go in to busness modifying earphones so they can be velcro'd inside the padding or somthing, with a imput jack.. i'm checking a few things out.

harveymushman
    Like I said, try the deep in the ear versions. They don't pull out when you take you helmet off, they are very comfortable for long periods of time, they have excellent sound, the wires do not get in the way at all once you get your system down. I have tried installing head phone speaker, sound sucks big time, no bass and only good below 30 mph if at all. I have tried the very best basic ear buds (those that sit just barely in your ear) they fall out, hurt when you put your helmet on or take it off, pull out really easily - which is seriously annoying.

Best system yet, works extremely well....

Bike
    08 KLR
    Combo earplugs with hi-fidelity earphone:

http://www.etymotic.com/

I have not used them, but hear they are very very good. I think if you search the site, there is a place in Surrey that sells them.

Bike
    1997 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bird
    take a decent set of headphones apart and inbed them in your cheekpads of course you need to do some wiring then but its not hard. I also put a headphone jack into the side of my helmet so I can just pulg into the side of my lid.

I did this to avoid the wires hanging out of the helmet situation that drives me insane you also don't have to worry about ripping either the wires of the earbuds out when you take you lid off.

Sounds like something I would like to do, do you have any pics of the helmet?