BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Whats the correct behaviour

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  ZREXER 
#1 ·
What should a person do if they see under age youths drinking and driving. My wife say's let them be, they are only out having abit of fun. I say call the police. before anyone gets hurt, or should a person approach them and falsely tell them that the police have been told about them, and are out lookin for them, and that they should park the vehicle, and take a cab home.
So what is the correct thing to do. ????

#4 ·
gixxer160 said:
What should a person do if they see under age youths drinking and driving. My wife say's let them be, they are only out having abit of fun. I say call the police. before anyone gets hurt, or should a person approach them and falsely tell them that the police have been told about them, and are out lookin for them, and that they should park the vehicle, and take a cab home.
tell your wife it's only fun till someone hurts an eye...or dies. i can't totally condemn drinking and driving cuz i've done it myself (1-2 beers) but my guess is that a group of under-age youths are having slightly more than 1-2 beers. i would have reported their license plate, as approaching them with not-so-good news might not be the best thing to do.

#6 ·
smartassblonde said:
It is just plain stupid to tempt fate with even one drink and to get behind the wheels of a killing machine. :ban
I'm going to bastardize this thread ....

I have a big problem when people confuse drinking and driving vs drunk driving. Driving drunk is just plain stupid (Throw em in jail!), however having a beer and driving home is perfectly legal and for many people perfectly safe. I, for example, weigh 230 lbs and can drink a beer with dinnner and get in my car and drive home with a clear consciense. I don't feel this is stupid. I'm not putting anyone at risk.

G
#8 ·
Introducing Mr. Devils Advocate:
Hey wait, that's ratting on folks. We had countless threads all over about how it "wasn't cool" to rat on folks smoking weed and riding or countless other crap. How come this is acceptable behaviour and the other was unacceptable?

#9 ·
gixxer160 said:
That little bit of fun could cost those youngsters their lives or more importantly some other innocent person's life. KO7 and I actually got a pretty first hand look at what drinking and driving does yesterday... combined with some street racing. Posted this on RevScene...

Was coming home from Richmond after some all you can eat at Aji Taro around 12:45am last night on Alderbridge and I see a souped up dark green Corrado in front of me in the right lane. A black STi comes up on the left lane and changes into the right lane in front of the Corrado and starts speeding up. The Corrado didn't like being passed or something, so he decides to lean on the gas, and speeds up to pass the STi back. They were just approaching where it becomes the highway, so they were plain booking it. By the time I reached the crest of that little hill, they were far enough away I didn't even know which pair of tail lights belonged to who. But the STi didn't get very far. I don't know if the Corrado continued straight along highway 91 or whether he went to the 91-Knight connector, but the STi went to the 91-Knight connector... and crashed, hard. I got to the scene probably about 10 seconds after he lost it, and his car was about 15-20 meters away from the little tunnel part. Front end was completely smashed in - I'm guessing his rear end swung out, and then he over-corrected the other way and went pretty much perpendicular into the concrete barriers. Can't imagine any other way his front end would have been crunched in like that. STi ended up facing the other direction, and smoke was coming up from the hood and it was leaking fluid all over the place. Think they had a full car load of people too... but they all go out and started walking around in the middle grassy area. My friend and I called an ambulance for them just in case, but while we were talking to the ambulance, it became apparent that those guys did NOT want any emergency personnel at the scene. It became clear why after one of the guys came over to us and asked if we called 911. First of all, he asks us "Are you guys okay? Are you guys okay?" Um... yeah, I think it was you guys that got in the accident, not us. Then he kept asking us "Did you call 911? Did you call 911?" and seemed to be getting increasingly agitated. As you can probably guess... the guy was hammered. I could smell alcohol on his breath from 3 feet away. I don't know if he was the driver or not, but I'm guessing everyone in the car had been drinking. That, coupled with the fact that they were street racing, didn't result in a very favourable set of circumstances for them.

We didn't stick around after that and left the scene. Don't know what became of those guys.

#10 ·
Phone the Cops and let them deal with it. People have to take responsibility for their actions. How would any of you feel if someones died. It could have been stopped but nothing was done. Why would you even have to think about this.

Maybe it a hard veiw but then again life is hard. Welcome to the real world!

#11 ·
revelation said:
Dont get involved directly, teens are unpredictable and could turn on you for even telling them that they have been reported.

Phone 911 if you see them driving or the citizens crime watch if you dont.

yeah i would not go up to them, from past experiences and stories I think the best bet is to call the cops if your serious, if there driving around and the driver is holding a 2six then there is going to be problems, anyways i would just let it go but im only 21 and most ppl i know will have a beer in the car when once and a while
BUT NOT THE DRIVER,

#12 ·
smartassblonde said:
You're the one with that cool car! :thumbup

I have to agree on that point that drinking a beer with dinner over the course of an hour is not going to cause drunk driving. However, why not just have the beer at home or drink non-alcolohic beverages?

Because I enjoy having a beer with dinner. And since I'm not impaired after having a beer with dinner, I don't see a reason not to.

#13 ·
also kids will be kids and its not just kids its young adults as you call us (19-25) anyways I think that the whole drinking driving scene is fround apon and only idiots do it, but on the other hand it is not looked down on to drink in your friends car if he is sober and the one driving.

#14 ·
Streetfightin said:
I'm going to bastardize this thread ....

I have a big problem when people confuse drinking and driving vs drunk driving. Driving drunk is just plain stupid (Throw em in jail!), however having a beer and driving home is perfectly legal and for many people perfectly safe. I, for example, weigh 230 lbs and can drink a beer with dinnner and get in my car and drive home with a clear consciense. I don't feel this is stupid. I'm not putting anyone at risk.

Not all kids weighs 230 lbs. and can handle the liquor like adults.

They are young and irresponsible when it comes to drinking and driving.

Kids+Alcohol+Driving= fatal injuries.

#15 ·
ridenrain said:
Introducing Mr. Devils Advocate:
Hey wait, that's ratting on folks. We had countless threads all over about how it "wasn't cool" to rat on folks smoking weed and riding or countless other crap. How come this is acceptable behaviour and the other was unacceptable?
Smoking weed and piloting a motorcycle is a touch different than drinking and pioting a 4000 lb vehicle.....

#17 ·
If people are obviously blitzed and driving, then call them in, or has everyone forgotten social responsibility? I was first on the scene of an accident under the BC Place overhand where two 19-year-olds who'd been drinking decided to have some "fun" in their Z28, lost it and hit a big concrete support. Both of them were killed.

G
#18 ·
I work with youth...they are probably more responsible than most adults I know when it comes to drinking and driving. Please stop trashing our youngsters...a minority don't represent the majority of really GOOD youth. If you talk to young people, most will tell you it is NOT cool to drink and drive.

I can't count how many times I've seen adults...especially after sporting events (aka. after playing hockey and having a "few" beers in the dressing room :drinkbeer ) get into cars saying, "I'm fine" when they're not....and it's less likely I'm gonna be able to wrestle the keys from them....all I can do is help them (and maybe someone else) by calling police.

Tmustang said:
Not all kids weighs 230 lbs. and can handle the liquor like adults.

They are young and irresponsible when it comes to drinking and driving.

Kids+Alcohol+Driving= fatal injuries.

#19 ·
*shrug* if they appear to be driving fine, let em be. if not call em in. im not going to make it my business if they seem to be handling themselves. i haven seen so many people from this board drinking and driving (myself included) the ones who were really to trashed to be driving, didnt. *shurg* let people handle themselves until they show they cant

#22 ·
DNAspark99 said:
There Is No Free T-shirt For Being A Cell Phone Hero.
...there should be. Maybe I'll get a bunch printed.

I understand that many of the members of this board (and realistically, many people in general these days) have absolutely no sense of social responsibility (DNA, you are a perfect example), but irresponsible behaviour and endangerment of the public is everyone's problem.

Tell your wife that she's fucking nuts, gixxer160. Kids drinking and driving isn't "having a bit of fun", they're breaking a handful of laws and putting everyone else on the road in danger. Ask your wife how she would feel about their "bit of fun" if your son/daughter was in the car when it rolled at high speed and killed everyone in it... or possibly people who didn't make the decision to have some fun in the car, and were just walking home from work.

And Tyler, I really hope that one day you wake up from your 14-year-old's world view and understand the concept of society. Society doesn't mean conformity, nor does it mean "baaaa", although many treat it that way. Society allows for individuals to rise from among the masses and be seen as unique. If you hate the idea of co-operating with other human beings so much, I suggest that you go build a shack in the Northwest Territories where you'll never have to deal with people again. I'm sure you'd be sorely missed here.

-Matt

#23 ·
Call 911 as this is pretty much the same as waving around a loaded gun. I do agree that 1 drink over an hour and food will still allow you to drive, but I don't even risk that.

Drinking and driving is not a game. You are playing russian roulette with other peoples lives. People that didn't even now they were playing. How would you feel if you didn't report them, only to come home and receive a call that your wife has just been hit by a driver that was drinking. Then to find out that she has............

........you finish the sentence however you want. Harmless fun, I think not.

#24 ·
Later that evening I came across a police officer, told him what I had seen, gave him the plate number, and location of the vehicle. he said he would go by and check things out. But first, he had too go on another call. I didn't get a chance to fully inform him about what I had seen. So I hope that the Kids(16-18) were not too stupid to go back out on the road.

G
#26 ·
There are of course exceptions................but overall, today's young drivers overall appear to be allot more intelligent when it comes to drinking and driving than I was when I was a new driver.
I've got 2 kids that both have leaners licences right now. When they are on their own driving in a year or so, it scares the shit out of me to think about them driving home late with drunks on the road.
Everyone has a cell phone now, if you see someone obviously hammered, call his plate in. If you see someone drunk on a given day, chances are they do it all the time. You'll never know if you save a life by doing this.
My job depends on on having a clean record. Beyond one or 2 drinks in an evening, I cab it now...............not worse the risk!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.