BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

FZ1 Jet Kit Question - Please HELP!

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Naked_Is_Better 
#1 ·
My dad has a 2001 yamaha FZ1 and recently installed the Dale Walker Holeshot jet kit with timing advance kit. After the work was done the bike ran poorly. (sputtering and idling fairly rough, really only running okay at the top of the rev range) It was taken to a shop in Abootsford and they synched the carbs and installed larger pilot jets to work with the jet kit and it still runs poorly. If anyone here has experience with jetting a FZ1 and could help out that would be great. Also the bike has a yamaha YRS slip on to work with the jet kit.

Also if you don't have an exact answer, if you could give me an opinion on who really knows how to jet and properly hop-up carbs with serious experience that would be greatly apprecialted. Thanks alot.

#2 ·
I put a Dynojet kit in my Bandit, and it ran poorly afterwards. After much fiddling with it I've got it running fairly well. When I first installed the kit, I never checked the float level, as I assumed they would be in the stock position and it doesn't change with the jet kit. Boy was I wrong! When I finally checked the float level it was way off. Fixing that solved most of the problems.

There's an article in the sticky section of the tech forum about jetting a bike. It's a good place to start and explains what part of the carburateur affect which rpm range etc.

Isn't one of Dale Walker's selling points that you can call them up for advice if you run into problem? Have you tried calling them? I'm curious what level of support they really offer, as I might consider buying a stage 2 jet kit from them in the future. If you call them, let me know how it goes.

#4 ·
I think I might know a teeny bit about this...I did write the articles on jet kits and tuning. Streetfightin's right about float height; also move slow jet screws in one turn and out one turn systematically and chart changes. Off the top, I'd say it's fat city but, alot of things might cause this problem. Check for any disconnected vacuum hoses and pull the plugs to see what they look like.

Hard to help with this over the web but, the key is to be systematic and only change one thing at a time and retest.

Lose the advancer as well, at least for now. They often cause more problems than they solve.

Crotch

#5 ·
Do what TeeTee says. The FZ1OA is a great site for...well... FZ1s. Don't bother posting, just click the link to Pat's FZ1 site. They all prefer Ivan's jet kit there, but you may find a Walker client or two.

If you get into a real bind. Take your bike to a shop with a dyno and good mechanics.

I just leave mine stock, no headaches.

#6 ·
I'd forgotten to add in my post that I'm sure there's someone on the site there that has the same setup or very close to it. They can probably give you the complete setup info right down to the pilot screw settings.

CR has brought up a good point at least in general terms. It's near impossible to diagnose most stuff like this over the 'net without very good descriptions by folks that know the right terms and know what they are experiencing. And it also points out that shops seldom have the skill to set up a jet kit right the first time. And most folks don't understand the need to open the carbs up quite a few times to set up a kit correctly and neither are they willing to pay the labour charges for doing it the right number of times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.