I have an itch...

Thread: I have an itch...

I have an itch...

Hi all!
    I just signed up and this is my first post so forgive my insolence if any...
    Just took a quick trip up to Edmonton to see some buds and check out that private track. Needless to say, all I can think about is getting back on the road!
    I have a '91 Suzuzki GSF-400 Bandit which is pretty trick for an old, sub-600 bike. She's the love of my life but due to mitigating circumstances, I did not ride her at all last year so she sat patiently collecting dust.
    However, that is all about to change....
    Couple questions first.
    Because she's been sitting with stale gas for the last year what are the first things I should check to ensure her roadworthyness? Without being fully mechanically competent with bikes, is it better to just take her into the shop and let them do a full tune?
    Secondly, what do you think the theft hazards are for this ride? I need to re-insure and am wondering if I can get by with just collision? I know Van has a terrible rep for car theft but are bikes as hi risk?
    And lastly, are there any other options in BC for insurance? ICBC is absolute extortion, are their any private insurers.

Thanks in advance to all that respond.

ps. I have new rubber on and only put about 500kms on them before the bike went into hibernation. Do I have to worry about the rubber breaking or getting brittle after a year of non use?

2. Remove Advertisements

2008 Beemer (touring)
    I can answer the insurance question... Megson Fitzpatrick toll-free at (888)595-5212 or Coast Capital (local locations for insurance) both are very competitive however Coast Capital now only insures riders who have had their m/c licence for at least 3 years... if you qualify you will save at least 50% on collision/comp/theft & storage from the ICBC rates. In terms of theft of your ride, I'm on a 2001 Bandit 600 cc and I really don't worry about it but that being said, I guess any bike is a target for a would-be thief.
    Taking It to the Track

WMRC Racer #911 (retired)
    PCMRC Racer #911 (retired)

Hi Squire,
    I've had my class 6 since 2000 so I should qualify. Thats an awesome tip, insurance in this province is what kills me. In Alberta I could insure for a full year for the same price it costs me to insure for 4 months here!
    I bought a fat cable so I can chain her down, better safe than sorry right? But if I can save on insurance I can treat myself to some new gear...

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Turn 2
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    I've seen a ton of 'bike stolen' posts on this site, so I'd think long and hard before you decide against getting theft insurance. I suppose it depends on where you park at home and work/school and how vulnerable your bike is in those locations. Personally, I'd never go without theft insurance as it's just not worth the risk, if your bike is worth anything at all to you. Nice gear isn't much good if you're left with no bike to ride. Don't get me wrong -- make sure you've got good gear, but I'd find somewhere else to cut corners than going without insurance.

It's recommended that you store a bike with the fuel tank full, although ideally you would have added a fuel stabilizer before leaving it in hibernation. For starters, dispose of what gas is in there now, inspect the interior of the tank and if it's okay, re-fill with fresh fuel. However, old gas can leave deposits in your carburetors which may require that they be disassembled and cleaned. This is not a hugely complicated task, as long as you have the right tools, some mechanical aptitude and can follow the instructions in your bike's manual. But if you have any doubt about attempting the job yourself, a shop can do it for you.

Lubricate, inspect (and adjust, if necessary) your chain and clutch cable, and inspect brake components. As for your tires, a year shouldn't make much of a difference (depending, of course, on where your bike was stored... inside? outside?), but remember to check pressures and for flat spots or any other obvious signs of wear/deterioration.
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"