BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

white rock yesterdays bike-drop

2K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  Crabalocker 
G
#1 · (Edited)
i ended up in white rock for a while ; such a nice and sunny day

anyways-- we are behind a short guy with rc-51 mint!- he is trying turn at a low speed...-
and guess what he drops it!....
my question is.. why would you ever get a bigger bike than you can handle?
if you are short and skinny .... how the hell are you going to balance 1000cc heavy piece of steel...? I am not trying to diss anyone here, but
what is the point of a big bike for lil guys like him?
yea maybe you are a good rider, lots of experience etc...however ....i believe 1000cc bikes are for taller and bigger riders.

...ahahah again not dissing anyone-- just looking for your opinions!!! :cool

G
#3 ·
An RC51 is a small bike. It may be heavier than a 600, but as for size it's smaller.

I'm sure him dropping it had nothing to do with size, and more to do with being a shit rider.

And as far as other 1000CC bikes, most are the same weight and size, or in the case of the 10R smaller in size than their 600 counterparts.

#6 ·
Good Old Pete does a fine job of wrangling his TLR, so i don't think person size and bike size have much correlation (at least according to that example)

doesn't anyone give anyone else the benefit of the doubt around here? maybe he just wasn't concentrating?

jeez, everyone fucks up now and again ya know . . . . . .

btw: foggy, and doohan in their racing days were not what you would call big guys

#9 ·
It's not the rider's size. Steve Crevier and Miguel Duhamel are small guys and yet have raced and win on RC-51s. My guess (without actually witnessing the incident) is either rider inexperience or a momentary lapse in judgment... Who here hasn't done that?

#10 ·
ZoomaFoo said:
It's not the rider's size. Steve Crevier and Miguel Duhamel are small guys and yet have raced and win on RC-51s. My guess (without actually witnessing the incident) is either rider inexperience or a momentary lapse in judgment... Who here hasn't done that?
/me throws the first stone.

Fine, my bike fell off the kickstand, but it never fell while I was on it.

#11 ·
Hell, I almost dropped mine leaving Pac Yam this afternoon. Gust of wind came up, and I was leaning too far forward to look around a semi that was parked on the road, right leg up and left leg down...WHOOOSHH! a car came by, followed by a gust, next thing I know is I am wobbling, and both legs are down now trying to hold the thing up. I did, but was still rattled. Shit happens.

#12 ·
I'd be hard pressed to find a hunk of steel on an rc51 :cool

Is prolly just a new rider. I don't think the rc is that big, I consider the gixxers much bigger. my 750 make me look small, and I'm around 6'. The other possible solution....maybe he's making up for size lacking elsewhere? :ban

G
#13 ·
MIDNIGHT_RIDER said:
So I can't feed the trolls on occasion?

We all know someone who has/does this and I could be accused of it myself on occasion. It may be a miscalculation or a failed exploration of you're capabilitys but it's only a mistake when you don't learn from it and give up riding.

Is that warm and fuzzy enough?

#14 ·
I'm six feet tall and almost dropped my bike in a slow speed turn last year. I was pulling away from a stop sign, and turning left at the same time. I misjudged where the bite was on my clutch momentarily, as I swung in to the corner. Suddenly, instead of powering through the bend, my bike became a large heavy object, reminding me of something called GRAVITY! I put my foot down and saved my bike, but for someone who has been riding for twenty years, I sure looked like a newbie at that moment.

#15 ·
Prez said:
I'm six feet tall and almost dropped my bike in a slow speed turn last year. I was pulling away from a stop sign, and turning left at the same time. I misjudged where the bite was on my clutch momentarily, as I swung in to the corner. Suddenly, instead of powering through the bend, my bike became a large heavy object, reminding me of something called GRAVITY! I put my foot down and saved my bike, but for someone who has been riding for twenty years, I sure looked like a newbie at that moment.
yep It can happen to the best of us. The other day I was backing up a small incline and my foot slipped and I fell to the right..held the bike up as long as I could but had to lightly lay it on its side..wasnt even running..lol. Felt like such a tool. Ive been riding my whole life.

#18 ·
well I'm 5'10" and I got a ZZ-R 250, and I dropped it (in white rock in fact!) doing a slow speed U turn... not good on a steep incline... with a parked car in the way of your turning radius ;) ... touched the brakes, bike went down. Newbie mistake, bad judgment call, etc... But if you're saying that I should have a smaller bike.... :( man.. what's smaller than a 250 ninja?

also dropped it the first day I bought it trying to put it on the center stand... nother newbie mistake... ballancing it on 2 wheels without standing on the center stand... bad call.. Guess I shoulda gotten the Honda Ruckus instead :(

oh.. and I dropped it again the other day backing up down a driveway (medium incline) in the rain.... was evenly applying brakes... yet.. still decided to start to fall.. ALMOST caught it... :( too bad it was slippery!

dang it I guess since I can't handle this lil 250 I should sell it and get a "smaller" bike... man that sux!

anyone selling anything smaller... ?

-Joseph

PS... I think I agree with most of the people here, people make mistakes/poor judgements, or are just learning... give us a break... I guess you'll never make a mistake! or you're riding a lil 49cc skooter?! oooppps sorry that's what I need to be riding! :)

PPS, I just realized it... I just need training wheels, that's my answer!! rad, does anyone sell em?!

#20 ·
take it easy on the poor guy - maybe he accidentally touched the front brake & wham - all stop & over she goes. I did this with my v-Strom and managed to save it at the expense of pulled back muscles. I have to force myself to only drag the rear brake in slow maneuvers - really settles the bike down.

hope the bike wasn't damaged and the guy can learn from this & relax

#22 ·
MIDNIGHT_RIDER said:
it's not your money.

if you are short and skinny .... how the hell are you going to balance 1000cc heavy piece of steel...?
The difference in weight between a modern 600cc bike and a 1000cc bike very small

I am not trying to diss anyone here, but what is the point of a big bike for lil guys like him? yea maybe you are a good rider, lots of experience etc...however ....i believe 1000cc bikes are for taller and bigger riders.
600cc bikes and 1000cc bikes are pretty much the same size and pretty much have the same seat height.

...ahahah again not dissing anyone-- just looking for your opinions!!! :cool
:rolleyes

#23 · (Edited)
ryanb said:
Dude, if you can't keep a 250 off the ground there's no hope for you, sell the bike and buy a minivan.
lol yeah I've considered it... but hten I wouldn't be on 2 wheels, which is fun!

actually, it's my first bike and I'm still not used to it's weight! even though it's a 250, it's still 300lb's dry, and that's about 280lb's more than the bicycle that I'd been riding for the past 22 years of my life. So a tipping motorcycle definitely caught me off guard!

no worries not too much damage, couple minor scratches on the fairings and clutch lever! I'm learning!

man, yeah shoulda used that back brake! I learned to use my back brake at action... however, that was almost 2 years ago... I forgot I suppose :)

-Joseph

#24 ·
ryanb said:
Dude, if you can't keep a 250 off the ground there's no hope for you, sell the bike and buy a minivan.
Ryan motorcycles fall over, people drop them, it just happens. the more you ride the more likely it will happen.

Get one with your life, it wasn't your bike that was dropped

Bill

#26 ·
DeRosa said:
Good Old Pete does a fine job of wrangling his TLR, so i don't think person size and bike size have much correlation (at least according to that example)

doesn't anyone give anyone else the benefit of the doubt around here? maybe he just wasn't concentrating?

jeez, everyone fucks up now and again ya know . . . . . .

btw: foggy, and doohan in their racing days were not what you would call big guys
Size has got little to do with it. You look at a guy like Pete who could probably bench press an RC 51 and I've seen him ride half a dozen different bikes with no problem. I think it boils done to cofidence and knowing what the hell you're doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.