How much for weels?

Thread: How much for weels?

fatty_k

How much for weels?

Hey guys, if you don't mind me asking, but what can I expect to pay for a set of motard wheels? I havn't done much research, but so far I see mostly Excel rims, talon hubs, then any brand of spokes. My local Yamaha shop "quoted" me at around $3000 for wheel sets without tires. I find that hard to belive becuase I've seen whole sets online for around $1000 US. So what did you guys spend? Also, what can I expect to pay for say a WR450 go from completly dirt only to street motard? That would include DS kit, wheel sets, brakes. Im not sure on what platform I want to build my motard (either KTM 400EX/C or Yamaha WR426/450) but I need a ball park range on $ to build it all up; from dirt to street legal motard. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    03 crf450 motard
    hey Kyle nice to see someone else getting ready to get Tarded. I've got a crf450. My set up, black anodized excell rims, talon hubs, dunlop tires(not the best mind you, as they were pretty hard compound) , oversized braking wave rotor and braking caliper with extra set of pads all for $2,200. I got this online from a company in England. Then I got a steel braided line, custom made at Imperial $100 and had them mount it to an oversized brake master from an f3, another $30-40.

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    fatty, take my "advice" with a grain of salt, as I'm in the same position as you in just researching this stuff, not being motarded myself just yet.

From the research I've done, I would budget approximately $1800 for a set of wheels & tyres. I bit less if you don't mind sacrificing your stock hubs, but that means you can't use the bike in the dirt anymore. Then you'll need to upgrade the brakes, I've noticed costs anywhere from $300-$500+ depending on how hardcore you're gonna go...G-force has given a pretty good outline on what you'll be looking at there.

As far as the platform you're gonna be working from, I've heard that the WR450 is a much better place to start compared to the WR426, if you want to make the bike street legal. Apparently the 450 has a beefier electrical system compared to the 426...making the addition of the lights and stuff a little bit easier, and less taxing on the bike. Also, I'm not sure if the 426 has an electric start or not? If that matters to you...

Remember, I'm just a motard wannabe...so if I've made any incorrect comments above, I invite any of you more experienced guys to set me straight. Thanks.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

fatty_k
    Thanks guys. No the 426 does not have e start. I am big into dirtbiking, so I know quite a bit about the different models and their specs, mods and such. The only problem with buying a 426 or 450 is that they will be too much for me in the tight trails that I ride on dirt. They are heavy (especailly the 426!) and have loads of power! But they would be awesome on the streets thats for sure! Gio, thanks for the prices, those sound awesome!

Bike
    --------------------- supermoto: crf450
    *just* got my wheels with rubber-- morad rims, talon hubs for about 1650$ cdn 3000 sounds insane