BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Bike overheated and shut down... yikes!

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  japhrodisiac 
#1 ·
I had a great time in the terrible traffic on highway 91 today, and of course my bike got smoking hot despite the shoulder riding I did. Then, just as I was getting on the bridge (and traffic was actually moving) the back tire locks up and the engine quits. I was stuck against the median in the fast lane... big lame! The engine would barely turn over, and certainly wouldn't start.

Thanks to all the riders who gave me a thumbs up/down or called to me, not much anyone could do but I appreciate the concern. And thanks to Earl from Roadway Towing (who rides an R1) for pulling up next to me with his flatbed and getting me and my bike off the damn bridge. :thumbup

The bike started fine when it had cooled, and sounds the same as always (no mysterious pings or knocks). I'm gonna change the oil tomorrow (I'm sure the stuff in there is cooked) is there anything else I should do? Any tips other than ride the shoulder that will keep my bike a little cooler in traffic?

#5 ·
sounds like it either siezed (very bad), or you had fuel vapour lock (no big deal)

i'm thinking the former due to the locked up rear wheel. that bike has a huge oil cooler for engine cooling, right? make sure your oil is always up to the max level (but not over).

#6 ·
My first guess [just a guess] is that the cause was just your heat sensor, designed to shut your bike off to prevent it from melt-down. Vapour lock... certainly possible too. But in any event, the good news is that your bike's self-defense features [shutting down] are all in working order. Doesn't help in the 'why' category but good to know in the 'what if' category...
:drinkbeer

#7 ·
Yeah, it sounds like your cooling fan is not cabable of cycling the temperature which I find strange on a japanese bike. Or perhaps the fan died. You may want to check into that.

#9 ·
hmmm well if he indeed has the 86 Gixxer mentioned in his profile then he has no fan and no shut down sensor and seeing as it started up again, its not seized. however he does have the small oil cooler that came with the original Gixxers. didn't change it till '90 when they went to the larger curved oil cooler. changeing oil will be a good idea. other than adding another oil cooler or seeing if the '90 will fit on the bike(you'll definately have to change the oil lines and pan) maybe run a synthetic and hope for better flowing traffic.

#11 ·
Purplekawi said:
hmmm well if he indeed has the 86 Gixxer mentioned in his profile then he has no fan and no shut down sensor and seeing as it started up again, its not seized. however he does have the small oil cooler that came with the original Gixxers. didn't change it till '90 when they went to the larger curved oil cooler. changeing oil will be a good idea. other than adding another oil cooler or seeing if the '90 will fit on the bike(you'll definately have to change the oil lines and pan) maybe run a synthetic and hope for better flowing traffic.
well, i think it could have siezed momentarily, and then freed up as soon as it cooled a little . . . . . happened to my honda once on the north cascades pass . . .

#12 ·
Oops, didn't notice the year. Of course they didn't have a fan.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the oil probably just got too hot and thin and some parts got tight. Hope you don't see the metallic sheed in the oil.

I do believe that the synthetic oils have a higher tolerance to heat. It may be worth the extra cost if you use your bike for commuting and get caught in traffic like that on even a sporadic basis. Do some checking first to be sure it retains it's viscosity at the higher temps.

#14 ·
It is quite possible for an engine to sieze hot and unsieze once cooled. this is fairly common in 2-strokes, happens less often with 4-strokes but, can still occur, especially on an air or air-oil cooled engine. It is not good. SOME damage will be done to the rings or bores, or both, I guarantee it.

Do the oil change, as you said, then check your compression on the engine. Those old Gixx motors are pretty tough, and I think you might just get lucky, since it did refire.

I have unsiezed a few motors with a little "persuasion". Some survived the experience relatively unscathed, some were just duds. That's the way of it.

Crotch

#15 ·
Did the oil change, the oil was black but I didn't see a metallic sheen. It's hard to tell if it sounds the same, I'm hypersensitive to any engine noises now! When I get a day off (like that'll happen any time soon) I'm gonna get Gord at Imperial to check it over (thanks for the compression tip). Maybe look at retrofitting a fan? Ah, lessons learned... every time something happens with this bike, I know another thing to look for in my next bike. Although I'm blown away that it still runs... I was sure the engine was welded together when I was sitting on the bridge.

Thanks for all the replies.

#16 ·
Hopefully she hangs in there. Also, since this is essentially an aircooled engine with some oil jets strategically placed, you need to be running a good quality synthetic oil. Synthetic will not break down at the heat levels your bike develops. If stuck in traffic for long periods, shut her down for a bit. The oil coolers(radiators for that bike) on the 1100's were bigger, and fit the 750. that should help too. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.