(Silly) Question About Break-In Procedure

Thread: (Silly) Question About Break-In Procedure

KO7

Question (Silly) Question About Break-In Procedure

Just wondering : has anyone ever gone thru the break-in procedure at a stand still with their bike propped up on the race stand ?

Reason I'm asking is because I don't have my full leather gear in yet, and I haven't had much riding time yet at Action school and I might be getting my bike really soon. I'm getting a race rear wheel stand along with my bike and don't want to have the bike just sit there in the garage while I wait for my road rides with Action.

So if I could do the break-in procedure on the race stand, I can concentrate on the proper heat cycles, and varying rpm and that kinda stuff, without worrying about traffic yet

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

builder of bikes Array cosworth's Avatar
    Bike
    bah
    There is a procedure of running a bike in on a dyno, with certain rpm stages and heat cycles. But the engine must be under load. Some guys even have shops run the bike in for them. Best thing to do is ride it and ride it a little hard to seat the rings best for maximum power. Breaking in on a stand isn't going to be the best in the long run.

Bike
    '07 BMW K1200R
    I've heard that some people have done this, but my opinion is that you won't be putting enough stresses on the motor. Running a bike on the rear stand will not give the engine the resistance it needs to have everything seat properly. Also you won't have sufficient airflow for the "suck-squish-bang-blow" sequence to operate properly in the cylinders, and this will affect the temps inside the engine. Besides, would you like to have 1,000km on your bike without ever having ridden it?
    What was it all about?

KO7
    alright, thanx.

so break-in on race stand = bad for engine ?

CBR600F2
    just put up a post on the "wanna go ride" section and clearly say that you are in break in and jsut want to do EASY CRUISING speed..... there's a bunch of guys (including me) that like to ride this way and im sure you will break that thing in in no time and enjoy it at the same time.

I broke mine in in less than a week thanks to some early morning riding by myself (no traffic) and a trip to stave lake, birch bay, bellingham and squamish.. hehe.. thanks to blitz and ryanr..... but thats for another thread.

Jason R

Bike
    i need a new bike.
    if i had to do it all over again... ride it like you stole it !
    how long do you think your gonna keep your bike anyways?

KO7
    Originally posted by bl1tz
    if i had to do it all over again... ride it like you stole it !
    how long do you think your gonna keep your bike anyways?
    I can't bear to do that to her b|1tz

Bike
    i need a new bike.
    Originally posted by KO7

i can break it in for you if you want

Bike
    Suzuki AN650K5
    Originally posted by KO7
    1) leave your key in the ignition
    2) tell B|1tz where you live

In overnight you'll find your bike well broken-in. j/k

KO7
    hmm.....

anybody else wanna try out an SV650S ?

Devil's Advocate Array RoadBlur's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki XV 2182
    There's a lot of really new riders maybe having a meet in a big lot would be a good idea some afternoon, let everybody meet everybody plus the new guys could pick brains on the little things they've been having trouble with (with room to demonstrate). Maybe alongside a pocketbike day or something if there is a big enough space.

Bike
    88 RC30
    Not sure about bike engines but might apply, when I build my engines I usually break them in nicely for the first 500 miles (800K) that usually makes sure the rings valves, bearings and seals have seated. DO an oil change and check for excessive metal in the oil, then use the engine the way I'm going to use it.
    Reece

donnymac
    Originally posted by Jason R
    Your comments on this? http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    Well I guess I have to agree. Good web page.