New pads supposed to squeak?

Thread: New pads supposed to squeak?

Neo-Swing King

New pads supposed to squeak?

So I just got new front pads put on last weekend but they squeak when I use em. This is my first bike so I don't know if this is normal or not? Yes? No?

2. Remove Advertisements

2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    it might be your rotors...
    John has told me that if you hand sand your rotors from time to time it will prevent the sqeaking. I don't know what grain sandpaper though!
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Try breaking them in by light stops for the first 30 to 40 stops then find a quiet road and do some high speed hard stops to really heat 'em up.

If they still squeak then look into it a bit further.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Save water, ride oil cool Array PeteDawg's Avatar
    Surrey what
    Bruce knows his shit.

I did an egineering project on disc brakes this semester. All motorcycle discs are steel....NOT cast iron like your cars. You break them in differently. Depends on the pads to though i guess and different rotor materials but.

Gotta heat up the pads and rotors to get em to set. From some web site

"General procedure is the harder the break in, the better it is for the rotor and brake pad combination. We are trying to bring the rotor temperature up as high as possible on the initial break in as this will seal the rotor off with a brake pad transfer layer and you will basically be running brake pad against brake pad material. At this point the coating loses the satin finish that it had initially but the rotor has actually picked up a thousandths or two and has not lost any coating at all. Remember it is best to literally abuse the rotors early on. This procedure is the total opposite of what you would do with a cast iron rotor because of its inability to withstand shock due to the brittleness of cast iron.

Dragging the brakes on slow laps during break-in is something that must be avoided, due to the possibility of glazing over the pads. Also jacking the car up and running the car in gear and dragging the brakes must be avoided totally. If this procedure was not followed and you have experienced a glazing of the brake pads simply pull the pads up out of the caliper and deglaze then in a bead blaster. If a blaster isn’t available then you will need to take a coarse rasp file on its edge and rough the pad up knocking the hard shiny glaze off the pad. It is also very important to have a properly bled system to ensure that the calipers are clamping with full force as a spongy hydraulic pedal will cause glazing. For proper maintenance of the system it is best after very long events (100 laps or more) to deglaze the pads. In the event of short races 25 to 50 laps it is best after 2 or 3 events to deglaze and to also keep the system purged with fresh high temp fluid. Each time your brake calipers are heated and cooled the fluid will lose some of its temperature resistance along with being much more vulnerable to absorbing water into the system."
    if some is good, more is better, then too much is just enough.

I'm not Fast...your just Slow

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDawg
    All motorcycle discs are steel....NOT cast iron like your cars.
    Unless you have cast iron ones, predominantly Italian Brembos on elder Duke, Guzzis. Laverdas etc

I run EBC HH pads on my RF 900 standard discs and break them in by running along at 50 mph or so and grabbing short handfuls of lever. Within 20 miles from new they're working perfectly. Never had any squeek in 5 sets.

Did whoever fitted them re-fit the anti-squeel shims behind the pads? If they still do it after 100 miles, slip the pads out and put a very light smear of coppa-slip on the backing material where it's pushed by the piston.