Reparing Fairingstay

Thread: Reparing Fairingstay

Registered User Array
    Vancouver B.C
    '02 Gsx-R 600

Reparing Fairingstay

I have a slightly bent fairingstay on my '02 gixxer 6. Is there anyway I can bend it back into shape? Is it a good idea or should I just get a new one?

2. Remove Advertisements

keepin' it steel Array GuySmiley's Avatar
    You can try. If it's only a little bent then there's a good chance you will be able to bend it back. But stock fairing stays are pretty brittle and can snap when you try to bend them back.

I got a race stay from BF ( The quality is great and if it gets bent in a crash I should be able to bend it back no problem. It's lighter than the stocker too.
    Mr. Burns: "Remember Homer, there is no muscle stronger than the human heart."
    Homer: "What about the weiner? I saw some guy on TV lift a can of paint with his."

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    It's actually not a forged part. It's the forged parts that are brittle and only bend once during a crash. The stays are just drawn rod cut and welded. They are a lot more malliable than levers and footpeg brackets. You'll be fine bending the stay back and even playing it back and forth a little to fine tune it.

Now if it's bent into a pretzel then I would recomend a new one but if this is just a nudge to recenter it then go ahead.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

1997 GSXR600
    I would say try and bend it back, then if you break it you just buy another. Your not really loosing anything

OPP has race fairing stays in stock as well

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    I saw Jerry (jetshoes' husband) fixed his fairing stay on his race gixxer with JB Weld and safety wire.
    Looked like shit, but it worked!
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.