Front Sprocket Cover

Thread: Front Sprocket Cover

Front Sprocket Cover

Well, this is something that has been mentioned before, but since i just cleaned mine today, i figured why not remind my fellow newbies?

I was oiling my chain today, and since i'd just be lazing around anyways, i figured i might as well clean under my front sprocket cover as well. I have owned my bike since Feb./2003 and this is the third time i have cleaned under there. When i first bought my bike, the chain had been lubed by the shop with that black spray-on glue that most of you guys enjoy using. When i took the front cover off the first time, i almost had a fucken heart attack. Since then, i have been using chainsaw bar oil on my chain, and although the bastard still gets dirtier than a muthafucka, it's easily cleaned off with some WD-40, a rag, a toothbrush and some good old-fashioned elbow grease.

Ok, now, not all covers are created equal. Mine has all kinds of nooks and crannies for shit to call home, so i just do my best with the rag and toothbrush. You may not be able to get it as clean as TeeTee (see pic) but i just do my best as long as i have made a visible improvement, i am happy.

So there you have it. A worthless post? Perhaps, but it's something that i KNOW gets overlooked by many people, and when it comes time to change my chain/sprockets, it'll be all that much nicer.

P.S. here's my rendition of what my cover looked like, and i bet many of yours are just as bad:

2. Remove Advertisements

Canon 1ds3 1d4
    come on, foliage? not likely. i can see there being dinosaurs in there, being a seca II and all :P

bar oil is pimp btw, so many uses

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Damn, all I found in mine beside the tar pit was some alligator fossils.

Cute Crab, very cute....
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley
    The picture makes it a worthwhile post.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

Next time if i'm really desperate, i'll just take it to work and use some incredibly harsh solvents on the fucker, just to teach it a lesson.

And just for the record, Jayson likes glistening young boys.

2004 gsxr 750
    I had some gunge build up in mine, not as bad as I thought it would be.