Riding in the Rain
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riding in the Rain

Registered User Array baby_angel18's Avatar
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Talking Riding in the Rain & middle kickstand

Hi Everyone!
    I'm just wondering if you all can give me some advice when riding in the rain. It's been raining this past week and of course I'm too chicken #$@% to ride, so I drive instead. It scares me to think that if my car hydroplanes on the hwy, what would've happened if I was on my bike? Which lanes positions are better to ride on? Sorry if my questions sound lame, but I just don't want to wipe out. OH...and one more thing...how do I put my bike on the middle stand? It's so freakin heavy for me Thanks you!!
    Last edited by baby_angel18; 06-01-2004 at 06:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

The Mighty One
    I find the bike is a bit less vulnerable to hydroplaning than the car. Grip is less but people drag knees on street tires in the rain racing. Really all you have to do is expect less from your tires than you would in the dry. It isn't a lot more complicated than that. Leave more time to stop, smoother and less agressive with the brakes, especially when cornering. You can get away with being somewhat jerky in your actions in the dry but can go down in the rain doing the same thing. Sound like driving in the rain with your car? I won't go into all of the racer ways to deal with rain. I can probably type them better than practice them. Just be careful. If you have the right gear and get used to it, the rain can actually be fun.

pronounced as-wee-pay Array effenay's Avatar
    Just wear good gear, slow down, be smooth, watch for slippery hazards, and you'll be fine.

I do all my own stunts Array boarder's Avatar
    only 1 bike now, '02 gsxr750
    I do it all the time

1. Where full textile gear to stay nice and toasty...get textile gloves too. I have aplinestars sp2 i think.

2. Smooth out shifting and corners.

3. Most importantly, watch for oil, painted line, and tar snakes. Oil can be found after every bump in the city, usually in lane position 2. It's everywhere, and it's out to get you.

As for lane positioning, make sure you can be seen, choose the dominant lane position to your situation. Cars will not be looking for bikes in the rain as they're not as common, you are invisible in the rain.

It's basically the same after it's been raining for more than 15 minutes...so being comfortable is one of the most important things.
    anyone wanna lend me a bike ?

2005 636
    I am a fairweather rider...dont really like riding in the rain.
    If I am stuck in the rain, I go am much slower and do not take any risks at all. all cagers go slower too so it doesnt matter how fast you go (actually it shouldnt ever matter..LOL). anyway, i just dont like riding in the rain as well cus then u have to clean ur bike afterwards....im so lazy

2002 SV650S Ghost
    I've ridden in the rain several times, and it's NOT fun.

Highway isn't too bad. It's actually safer. Just follow the flow of traffic, and look ahead. I'd suggest avoiding riding in the fast lane next to the barrier as there can be times that water pools up on the side there. P1, slow lane. Simple. In the city, avoid all the major roads. In Vancouver, pretend to pedal and go through the bike routes if you're really that scared. I would've. If a cop pulls you over for going through an intersection for bicycles only, then say you're too scared to ride with cars and hope they understand and give you a warning only.

Rain riding

Centerstand: (stole this from another board)
    Put the bike in neutral.
    Put the bike on the side stand.
    Straighten the front wheel.
    Grab the left handelbar and something rigid on the rear end of the bike. (Grab Bar, frame)
    With your right foot and the bike still leaned on the sidestand start putting the centerstand down until one of the legs touches the ground.(Very little pressure is needed.)
    Now tilt the bike up until you can feel that both legs of the centerstand are touching the ground. (the centerstand will not be up both both feet of it will be touching the ground.
    Now the important part. Don't just push down on the centerstand, STAND on the centerstand putting all your weight on it and gently lift up the back of the bike.
    BINGO it should come up with a little effort. Put the sidestand back up, lock the forks, and yoru done.

Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    There have been a few posts about riding in the rain. Check out the "Sticky" post on how to stay alive and search in the forum

For someone new to riding in the rain my advice, don't ride in the first 3 hours after it starts raining. That's when the roads are the slickest.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Suzuki Bandit
    Bikes are very unlikely to hydroplane. The skinny contact patch cuts through
    the puddle much better than a wide, flat, car tire.

I ride all year round, never hydroplaned yet. To be comfortable in rain, you
    need to practice on being smooth. Ease on the brakes, roll on the throttle
    evenly, and leave about 2x the following distance you normally would.

Relax your body, when you get tense, you get stiff and can't be smooth.

90 CB-1
    Crabalocker basically has it with the center stand.

I had a bit of trouble with my ninjette as well. What I do is, yeah put it in neutral, on it's kick stand. Then step on the center stand to get it to touch the ground, then press harder on it, so that the bike is balancing on the center stand and the front tire (it's rather stable at that point) Then there is a little grab bar under the rear seat (above the rear foot pegs) pull UP (I didn't know this and was trying to pull back.. but you MUST pull up) while at the same time standing harder on the center stand, it'll go easier than you think.

once you get used to it, it's a cinch! Hope that helps

As for rain riding, I donno my experience with it so far has been really good. I like it. I find it much more calming... donno why ha.

I'm glad I got rain pants though, made the experience SOOO much better. Warm cozy and dry. watch for the rain getting on the INSIDE of your visor though.. that can be a pain to get cleared! :S and kill visibility! (this happens when you ride in the rain with it cracked open... which is handy because of fog... oh the vicious cycle )

yeah be smooth, in shifting and turning. Expect less traction when turning and stopping. on your 250 you don't really have to worry about breaking the rear tire loose due to "too" much throttle.. (no matter how much i've tried I still haven't done it.. oh cept for the leaning forward at a stop light... )

if you lose traction in the rear wheel, due to breaking or shifting, don't pannic, it'll come back if you just let off of the break. I find that making sure your body is centered (horizontally) on the bike (like don't lean beyond the center of gravity on the bike) gives you much more ability to control the bike under wheel slipage, as the bike will stay upright.. but I think it's hard to explain to someone, you'll just feel it, and get used to riding under less traction conditions I'm still learning

Yeah try to be as visible to drivers as possible... I'm surprised at the following distance car drivers still use around town and on the freeway even during rain. So be careful out there!

but yeah, rain riding is kinda fun, and I like it. Less traffic in general, and you get kewl "special effects" as I like to call em... mist all over roads... splashes... and stuff...

OH and LOOK out for the big puddles where you're stopping... I was doing fine till I stopped at a light and found out I was in a HUGe deep puddle... my feet got wet after THAT!

good luck, and have fun (btw, the weather looks good though for the rest of the week)

04 ZX6R/91 BMW K75S

Center stand tip

Just one more thing with the center stand. It's easiest if you lock your elbow when you pull up. ie. don't use your bicep, just use the weight of your body to stand on the tang, and then pull the bike up in one motion, without "curling" it, if you know what I mean. As in curling a dumbell. Straight arm it. It'll be much easier. Also, when you lift, try to lift towards the back of the bike a bit. Don't grab something too far back, as you'll be lifting forward. That works against you, as the bike wants to be lifted up and back to get it on the stand. Once you have done it one, it's a cinch.

You know that best way to do it without fear of the bike crashing? Do it against a wall. That way, if it tips over the other way, it won't go anywhere. Just make sure it's a wall that you don't mind marks against.

I would recommend you go out to a parking lot some where and just test things out ... I did that and it really helped me to understand how rain affects braking and cornering with my bike.

Watch out for cats eyes and painted lines when you are changing lanes and give yourself way more room to brake. I usually double my braking distances and back right off when cars cut in ... even if people get a bit annoyed.

I have two sets of railway tracks right near where I live as well and the back tire can kick out unexpectedly on them so keep that in mind.

One last point ... crack your helmet open so you aren't fogging up ... it can really obscure your vision.

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    99 R6
    Ride slow and just feel the bike.
    watch out on (esp. on granville streets)
    uneven tar re-payments does tend to screw up your front wheel
    bumps and uneven roads (esp. granville Right lanes)
    HAVE FUN. The more you THINK that you are going to be in shit is when you tense up
    RELAX and keep saying to yourself that you are doing this and it's working and just enjoy the ride. it makes it easier
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Seven Potatoes
    Motordirex Suzuki
    I hated riding in the rain, and hardly ever did it. But one trip up island, and we got caught in it heading back to Nanaimo.

We got on the highway tip-toeing, with cars, vans, trucks with trailers passing us. About 15 mins later, we were ripping past those same cars doing about 110. Crazy, no, we just got comfortable riding in the wet.

Obviously I still prefer the dry, but am definately not affraid of riding in the rain anymore...kinda fun really.

Just watch for standing water, and the usual objects you would avoid in the dry... painted lines, grease, etc.
    WMRC #888

Hater of slower deceitful and backstabbing individuals

90 CB-1
    yeah them painted lines are nasty! Definiatly look out for those, never be leaning when going over one (like changing lanes and stuff) dangerous stuff!