Riding up the coquihalla this summer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riding up the coquihalla this summer

Bike
    RC-51, KX250

Riding up the coquihalla this summer

Woo this'll be fun. Anyone have any stories of when they did it? Those high mountain roads are hella fun I'm sure. Going to Shuswap BTW.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    98 Suzuki TLS
    I did this two summers ago on my old ZX-6E. Make sure you stop off at the local gas stations whenever you can to ask them where the police hang out. They'll know where the radars are set up and they'll be able to tell you what parts to really slow down.

Just as a side note, I lost my chain's master link on that highway. I had just finished doing some highspeed runs and when I came to a stop in front of Kamloops Yamaha, it fell right off. Angels were looking down on me that day. Lesson learned, check chain - It's a fast highway.

Happy riding
    I love my squared off tyres. Torque rules.

Bike
    RC-51, KX250
    Just put in a new X-ring chain a few weeks ago.

Registered User Array CyBeR_Pinky's Avatar
    Bike
    red and black
    highways kinda boring IMHO. I'd go hwy 9 and then do the Princeton - Merrit route.

Worst. Passenger. Ever. Array ace`'s Avatar
    Bike
    Blue
    i got caught for excessive. with a passenger in the car and about 100 pounds of garbage in the back seat the cop told me i was lucky that he wasnt going to arrest me for street racing for passing all the traffic. this was in a car btw. the coq is pretty boring to be honest

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Coquihalla? That's a good one to avoid. You won't find that one in the Destinations BC book.

Far better to do the old canyon route, cut off to go up and over the hills to Logan Lake at the junction about 20 kms south of Cache Creek and then up to Kamloops. Takes 2 or 3 hours more but your grin will be totally worth it. The run through to Logan lake and beyond is particularly nice and is very lightly travelled. Some find clear twisties up there.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    A ---> B
    god, it's boring to drive, i can't imagine how boring it'd be on a bike without music blaring to keep me awake

I'm a Kelowna boy born and raised, there are much better routes - maybe try the 5A for part of your trip - I've never done it but my brother took it by accident one day and said it was an awesome road.
    Bike's sold - still have some gear left!

Bike
    06 CBR600RR, 07 CRF150R
    there are SO many good stretches of old hwy up there; connecting merritt and spences bridge, the old kamloops to merritt, up the canyon (but minus the motorhomes), merritt to princeton, backroads at all of the above....

the coquihalla is mindnumbing especially given all the other routes you could take instead.
    one six two seven eight nine

Bike
    06 CBR600RR, 07 CRF150R
    and i literally DOUBLED the number of good rides up there with the supermoto
    one six two seven eight nine

Bike
    90 CB-1
    yeah if you're not riding in a caravan (following, sticking with family members in cages) I'd go for a scenic route, I hear there ar some amazing rodes heading out there!

btw, Shuswap rules, cliff jumping on copper island!! whoo hooo! used to go there every summer!

you the only biker or?

-Joseph

Bike
    2002 Suzuki GSX-R Telefonica
    god, don't take the coq, if anything, take the hope-princeton, loop up and through, I like that drive (only caged it though due to lack of bike)
    I've realized common sense is a gift, not a granted

Ol' Whatshisname... Array silversurfer's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 CBR600 F4i
    Yeah, I would have to agree with everyone else: the Coq is boring. Even at 200+ km/h its boring. And when you pass the cop car in front of the minivan doing 176km/h, he'll give you a $475 ticket. And a lengthy lecture. It's not worth it.

Although, I was riding it on a Thursday afternoon, and there was no traffic at all. I came to a full stop right a good straight stretch, and basically wound out every single gear to the rev limiter. Top speed. That's the only time I've ever gone that fast.

But still, Hope-Princeton is awesome. Take that route.

Bike
    2009 ZX10R
    Bring $5 with ya for the toll. The Coq is lame unless you need to save time to get somewhere or if you're going more than double the 110km limit.
    Side note: the weather changes at high elevation - there was slush on the road on Friday when I rode to Calgary and storm clouds pissing rain %50 of the time. Not the most fun you can have on a bike.
    ---------------------------
    Now... bring me that horizon.

Danimal
    If ya got some time why not find a riding partner to go up with(wouldnt want to do it alone, personally) and take the Duffy lake route through to Cache Creek then onto Kamloops and so forth?
    Its a beauty of a ride and little traffic.
    Just a thought

Bike
    1967 MGB Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee
    Coquihalla? That's a good one to avoid. You won't find that one in the Destinations BC book.

Far better to do the old canyon route, cut off to go up and over the hills to Logan Lake at the junction about 20 kms south of Cache Creek and then up to Kamloops. Takes 2 or 3 hours more but your grin will be totally worth it. The run through to Logan lake and beyond is particularly nice and is very lightly travelled. Some find clear twisties up there.
    Beware. Although the Ashcroft - Logan Lake road looks deserted, I've seen plenty of radar (I drive that road quite often for work).