Tire Replacement based on age alone?

Thread: Tire Replacement based on age alone?

Question Tire Replacement based on age alone?

Hi all,

I have 4 year old Metzlers with lots of tread and they "appear" to be in good condition. The person that I bought the bike off didn't use it very much. I have heard from friends that tires lose their "consistency" after that long and upon touch they do feel greasier than a new broken in tire. If I can avoid buying new tires I would prefer to save the money ... but I don't want to crash because I was too cheap to replace the most important part of the bike.

Should I replace them or can they last the season? If so ... what tires are the best sticky summer tires which will last at least a year or so?

Thanks in advance for any help

- Phil.

2. Remove Advertisements

A couple of Suzukis
    It sort of depends on the type of riding you plan on doing.

If you're a new rider, and plan on taking this season just to get a feel for riding, use it for commuting, etc...those tyres will probably be fine. However, if you're sort of a weekend warrior and plan on riding your bike pretty hard through the twisties and stuff, I would replace the tyres.

I have a little commuter bike, and I have no idea how old the tyres are on that thing...probably from the 80s. But when I use to ride my sportbike on the street, and use to ride semi-hard...I would never consider keeping set of tyres for more than 2 years. They never lasted that long anyways...but when I bought used bikes and the tyres were old, I replaced them.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

04 ZX6R/91 BMW K75S
    If there is not cracking and no cupping, there should be no reason to replace them for street use. If you are going to take it to the track, that's a different story. You won't have the stickiest tires in the world, but what does it matter. For the record though, I have never had any tire last 4 years for me. 3 years max.

Thanks for the responses!

I don't think they'll last long with me either. I bought the bike off a chick who didn't use the bike much. The bike was in sweet condition actually ... so it's just begging to be flogged a little Just want to make sure me arse don't go flying off a bend because I am tire-lexic ...

Unregistered User Array greenboy's Avatar
    For street riding your tires should be fine unless there are obvious signs they need replacing such as deep cuts, squared on centre, or the wear bars are showing through. I had the same bike previously, and if I recall it had Metzler MEZ4's or something like that (?). They were pretty good tires.