Updated regulators honda

Thread: Updated regulators honda

Bike
    crf250r

Updated regulators honda

Just to let ya know,it looks like honda finally updated there dreaded regulators for the vtr/cbr/vfr etc...

when i ordered them they sent me the one on the left both times lets hope it cools it a bit better and saves some money for you owners out there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    About time Honda. I already modded mine with a CPU heat sink.
    I couldnt believe how hot the thing got right away

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Yeah, well overdue. I don't know who the engineer was that speced the type of system but it's a stupid way to regulate the voltage. It's a shunt type regulator. What this means is that any power the alternator makes over and above what the system requires gets dumped to ground. So when you're running high revs all the extra power is dumped through the regulator to ground and that heats the snot out of the regulator. The proper way is to limit the current to the battery such that the system only sees what is needed to keep the voltage to the proper level and the rest is just not used. With that method the regulator needs to dump a LOT less heat. Not to mention that the engine then has to provide less power to the alternator so there's more to go to the rear wheel.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

One of these days.... Array looper's Avatar
    Bike
    '97 F3
    Heh.. Just replaced mine this week. Couldn't believe how much they're asking for such a poorly engineered piece of shite.

Got a second hand one and modded it with a heat sink and fan. Hopefully it will last a while.

Probably will get a second one to keep with me just in case this one packs it in though.
    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

Registered User Array japhrodisiac's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600RR Racebike
    Actually, all bike voltage regulators (not just Honda) work like that. The prob with the Honda ones is they were too small, and had no cooling fins to deal with the heat. The updated one has been out several years now, and it works fine. I guess that honda engineers orig thought that bolting the unit directly to the subframe, would make use of the heatsink ability of the aluminum subframe. Didn't work out as planned...

Been riding since 1985 Array philtag6000's Avatar
    Bike
    Coming soon
    So if you hook up a little fan to it, would it help?
    Or is it going to drain the battery?

Bike
    CBR600RR Racebike
    No space for a fan, but oddly enough if you do have more electrical load, the problem Is lessened because you would have less power shunting to ground through the regulator. I think the cpu heatsink idea is great. try that one out. Look at where the reg/rec is located on the new 600rr, in the airstream down in the left bellypan. I dont think they put it there just cause they couldn't find another spot.

Been riding since 1985 Array philtag6000's Avatar
    Bike
    Coming soon
    For the F4i & 600RR, I guess it would help if you turn the high beam
    on during higher RPM?

Bike
    CBR600RR Racebike
    Neither of these bikes have the reg/rec problem, so its not necessary to find a "fix".