Can we still call him that at his age? Anyway, here's the scoop from www.roadracingworld.com on F-Xtreme qualifying at Road America:
Parts Unlimited PJ1 Erion Honda’s Jake Zemke claimed his third AMA Formula Xtreme pole position of the 2004 season Friday during qualifying at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.
Riding a CBR600RR Superbike, Zemke turned a time of 2:18.851 to set a new lap record for the revised-for-2004 class and close his points deficit to Championship leader Miguel Duhamel from five to four points.
Zemke also set the fastest trap speed at the start/finish line on Road America's front straightaway, according to AMA Pro Racing timing and scoring, at 163.8 mph.
Duhamel tried to top Zemke’s time with a late, fast lap on his American Honda CBR600RR but came up just short with a 2:19.041. Duhamel’s crew, however, say they have a stronger race engine ready to install before Saturday’s final event.
DXS Diablo Suzuki’s Steve Crevier, a Canadian Superbike regular making a guest appearance in the AMA series, set the third-fastest time, 2:21.920, on a 114-horsepower Suzuki GSX-R600.
The top three qualifiers used Dunlop tires, but the final spot on the Formula Xtreme front row went to Team Valvoline EMGO Suzuki’s Vincent Haskovec with a time of 2:21.945 on his Michelin-shod GSX-R600.
Although the top Formula Xtreme riders have turned slower lap times than top Supersport riders at some tracks during the 2004 season, Zemke’s pole time at Road America was nearly two seconds than the existing Supersport lap record, 2:20.654.
The Formula Xtreme class was originally slated to be divided into two, 40-minute qualifying sessions (one for slower riders, one for faster riders), but due to low participation (21 entries) and the length of the Road America track (4.0 miles), the entire field was given one, 50-minute qualifier.
Provisional AMA Formula Xtreme Qualifying Results:
1. Jake Zemke, Honda CBR600RR, 2:18.851
2. Miguel Duhamel, Honda CBR600RR, 2:19.041
3. Steve Crevier, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:21.920
4. Vincent Haskovec, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:21.945
5. Doug Chandler, Ducati 749R, 2:22.142
6. Jason Pridmore, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:22.257
7. Alex Gobert, Honda CBR600RR, 2:22.331
8. Mike Ciccotto, Buell XB9R, 2:22.484
9. Michael Barnes, Buell XB9R, 2:22.774
10. Larry Pegram, Yamaha YZF-R6, 2:23.216
11. Pascal Picotte, Yamaha YZF-R6, 2:23.481
12. Mark Junge, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:24.492
13. Blake Young, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:24.919
14. Heath Small, Yamaha YZF-R6, 2:26.288
15. Danny Eslick, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:27.960
16. Perry Melneciuc, Yamaha YZF-R6, 2:28.124
17. Nathan Hester, Yamaha YZF-R6, 2:28.823
18. Darren Luck, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:29.382
19. Clavin Martinez, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:35.631
20. Geoffrey Maloney, Suzuki GSX-R600, 2:36.422
21. Jim Davis, Yamaha YZF-R6, 2:39.865