Lowering a bike?

Thread: Lowering a bike?

Bike
    ZX10r

Lowering a bike?

I want to lower the bike I get (I am 5'8 and generally can't get both flat feet on the ground ). I know how it works on a car (replace springs/struts or shocks and if you are finicky a camber kit), but how hard is this to do on a Suzuki GSXR? What parts are needed/replaced and how easy is it to do yourself? Any special tools required? Cost of parts and labour? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Look underneath the bike at the rear shock linkage area just in front of the rear wheel. If it has two thin plate metal dogbones then it's easy. If the dogbone shaped link is a forging then it's not easy. And all the Honda CBR's up to and including the F4i also use a forged link.

If you want an example of what you're looking for the 2003 Kawi 9's and 6's also use plate metal dogbones. These are the flat 4 to 5 millimeter thick plates that join the parts of the linkage.

Being just flat plate steel stock it's easy to fabricate a new set that lowers the bike. In fact somebody with basic hand tools and a hand drill can do a bangup job. The other types are more trouble and will cost more as a result.

The front end is super easy. Just loosen the triple clamps and let the forks slide up then re-tighten. Some other items will also need to be taken care of. The side stand leg will need to be shortened. And the brake line routing may need to be altered to prevent the fender from impacting or flexing the brake lines where they go into the joiner block that often resides under the lower triple clamp.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    Ducati 999X

Cool

Check on ebay....... they used to sell from US$15-$49.
    I used to lower my 03 ZX-6R 636 before. Does cost me toooo much to buy that linkage. It may cost U 20-30 mins depend on the bike.
    Well I can get U some link if U want, what kinda bike and which year?
    *CAUTION: I do believe U have enough tools or hands, I will perfer at least 2 man to do that job with proper tools, like bike stands (front and rear). If u have any more further question, or get someone else to do it for U. PM me I can recommend someone else for U.

Bike
    ZX10r
    Thanks both, seems pretty simple and not too costly. Babybiker, I will probably be hitting you up with a PM in the next week, still have to get my paws on a bike .