installing a cooling fan switch

Thread: installing a cooling fan switch

installing a cooling fan switch

i've noticed some talk on this board regarding heating issue's along with some fellow riders here in the okanagan where it gets real HOT..

i dont have this problem with my bike, not that i know of.. no temperature guage or anything like that.

i was wondering, on my next bike.. if installing a switch for the fan would be a good idea?? that way i could keep the bike from exceeding say 90 degrees or so? switch it on when it reaches that point.

or is that just plain retarded?
    10 KTM rc8 r
    03 Yamaha R6 (track)
    97 HD Sporty 883

2. Remove Advertisements

yes it's a good idea if you don't trust the thermostat on your bike, but in that case, you'd have to also install an aftermarket thermostat.

If you are saying you want to keep the engine cooler than it normally would be, that's probably not the best idea since engines run best at a certain temp.

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    It's certainly not hard to install a manual switch but you will need a wiring diagram to figure it out. Or if the temperature sensor has two wires then you may just be able to bridge them with the switch.

It's handy to click it on when you KNOW it's going to be a long time in traffic.

Just be warned that the fan draws a LOT of power. For every minute you spend with it on I estimate that you need to ride "open" at normal revs for probably 2 or perhaps even 3 minutes. If you commute in slow traffic a lot without a decent run at speed then you may find you need to connect the bike to a trickle charger to top the battery up overnight. Just watch for signs of hard cranking that indicates a low battery.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

I'm in Kamloops and have a fan switch on my bike, and it does come in handy. By no means is the traffic as bad as Vancouver, and there are lots of areas where you can go full out for a bit, but any traffic slowdowns like accidents and construction can slow you down quick. And when its full summer and the temp is around 45, the engine gauge shoots right up. But whenever I know I am getting stuck, just flip on the switch then throw it off once I get free again.
    Definetely a worthwhile investment for the Interior IMO.