My first leathers - do I need to go crazy? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My first leathers - do I need to go crazy?

debra
    The S1 suit is good’ I got by http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT but quality is better from Alpinestar also cost is so economical only 425.00$, I highly recommend the S1, I wear n ride my FZR 750 I feel soooo comfortable. Crash tested by many of the best. Anatomical construction means arms are sewn in a curved shape and are sewn onto the jacket body in a pre-rotated position, so that when you are on a motorcycle, it feels natural.
    http://stores.ebay.com/vdiscount

Thxxx
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by debra; 03-23-2006 at 01:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Age + wisdom = slower Rx7man is on a distinguished road Rx7man's Avatar
    Bike
    Dirt bikes now, '84 XR500, '07 KTM 450 XC-W (soon)
    my quiestion here is which is legal at Mission raceway? I heard you need a 1 piece suit.. which is a lot of money for something I'm not going to be using on my daily commute to work, menawhile with a 2 piece suit I'd use it a lot more of the time

Yellow Power Ranger Furious Fiero is on a distinguished road Furious Fiero's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 Yellow ZX-6R (sold)
    I just got in my Joe Rocket GPX 1 piece suit in. I bought it off ebay, brand new with tags $340 including shipping. I think I got a steal!

v twin spooney is on a distinguished road spooney's Avatar
    Bike
    royal enfield
    get the one you look good at satrbucks in, and sod the protection,lol or the one that makes yer ass look good Hein Gericke,
    Last edited by spooney; 07-02-2006 at 05:01 PM.
    may the road rise to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again may god hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Registered User 105mmgunner is on a distinguished road 105mmgunner's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 GSXR - Still love her!!
    When I started riding sportbikes in 88 I was given a few pieces of advise from a crowd that knew what they talked about.

"Spend as much as you can afford on helmets and tires"

I would opt for the better suit for the added protection that the hard armor will afford. Just figure out what the final costs will be after you have upgraded the armor in the 2 piece suit and then you have firm numbers to work with. If you are intending to go on a track one day you will probably wish you went for hte 1 piece. Course that was the thinking from years ago. I havent met anyone riding this year as of yet....

Registered User KaiBosh is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    04 Kawi ZRX 1200R
    I am going full leather for this season and have been tormented by what to pick up. Of course the Vanson Cobra 2 looks like the slam dunk choice for ultra-high safety and longevity, but... Once you factor in the cost for both the jacket and pants, and then the armour (all of it), and then the liner for the jacket ($150 US!!) it starts to get a little out of hand.

Right now I am looking at an MX-1 A* jacket and the zipped matching bat leather pants (no sliders, but good armour including hip padding). Both come with quite impressive armour for 'mid range gear', except for a proper back protector but I have an Icon vest for that (not the best but a hell of a lot better than nothing and comfy for loooooong rides).

This A* combo comes to $975 CAN through them and in black that is one hell of a sharp looking outift IMHO. I simply can't justify going full Vanson for pretty well twice that when I am not on the track and obviously have no plans to crash *cough*

I don't want to shill a company but it looks like going through NewEnough is the way to go, you *can* get 'better' deals through Ebay and most of those guys will replace items for size, etc, but if you are buying several things the shipping savings through NewEnough more than make up for the difference.

Can anyone chime in on the MX-1 gear from A*?

I'm a she-male. integra298 is on a distinguished road integra298's Avatar
    Bike
    Scooty Puff Junior and Scooty Puff Senior
    How many people go riding around the city in a full suit? How many people actually use the suit for just zipping around? Or do you use it to go up the mountain n stuff?

BBy Kawi is having a sale now and some no-name brand suit is $399. They say it's just because there are no sponsors that it's cheap and basically it's just as good as anything else. How many people really believe the more expensive one is really better? I guess really it would be not the brand but to look at the stitching and the thickness and quality ... yah?

Now I just have a textile jacket, was going to get some pants. Should I get the cheap leathers and that will actually be better than textile? Or just get some good pants and keep the textile jacket.
    Last edited by integra298; 06-15-2007 at 03:30 AM.
    -teg-

FS: Scooty Puff Sr AKA 2007 650R 16kms $4600 OBO

Bacchus, god of madness StuntGroupie is on a distinguished road StuntGroupie's Avatar
    Bike
    96 Ninja 500, beautiful burgundy
    i have been 2upping lately with jsut basic jeans and cheap leather jacket.... definitely want to invest some cash in proper protection, even tho i don't own a bike, or even ride on my own yet... but like most of you, the cost factor is huge.... hope you keep posting up advice, i am taking notes

thanks for your input...
    also, how do you know it's gonna fit right if you buy through Ebay or online site??

Registered User bakwheeltango is on a distinguished road bakwheeltango's Avatar
    Bike
    Z
    vanson.

MY KZ1000 FREAKIN' RULEZ
    TRACK - TOUR (1250KM LONGEST DAY) HOOLIGAN 24/7

BOUGHT & SERVICED AT BURNABY KAWASAKI
    BEST DUDES IN MAINLAND[/CENTER]

SOLJA jusking3888 is on a distinguished road jusking3888's Avatar
    Bike
    Soon to be - Custom '08 R1!!!
    best advice i can give is...spend as much as you can possibly afford without leaving yourself stranded. sure $50 gloves are cool and will protect you more than nothing, but if you can afford it - $200 alpinestars gp plus gloves or $250 gp pro...awesome awesome awesome. also $200 teknic violator gloves, or $250 teknic speedstar gloves.

i'm looking at a teknic 2-piece suit for $1000, teknic violator gloves for $200, sidi vertigo boots at $480, and a shoei xr1000 at $800. sure it's a fairly big outlay, but i know for sure that it's all good gear - i tried it on sitting on a bike (the one i'm going to buy) and it all felt beautiful.

ALSO...BOOTS!!! FORK OUT FOR BOOTS!!! DON'T BUY $100 CRAPPY ONES!!! i've found only the really good ones have ample enough ankle movement...otherwise they're all chunky as hell and uncomfortable to boot (no pun intended). sidi vertigos - awesome. alpinestars s-mx r...also very good. cheers!

Justo

Pose 'til you Puke! PoserX is on a distinguished road PoserX's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

leathers

I only know two guys that have bailed, both wearing Joe Rocket. Both suits blew apart in the crash. They survived with maybe one small piece of road rash each. Think of the suits as disposable. There is a guy here in Victoria that will custom build you a suit to your specs. I think he said about $1500-2000. He's from Russia and knows his shit. He has done some custom work for me and he's top notch. I suspect you'll look like a 1960's TT reject when he's done though.

That being said anything leather will be better than shorts, flip flops and a wife beater.

B.

Pose 'til you Puke! PoserX is on a distinguished road PoserX's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i
    ps I just got my new Sidi's for $275

Visited Chaparal on a trip to Disneyland two weeks ago...AMAZING store!
    Imagine 3 walmarts with nothing but bike's, tires and gear.
    B.
    Last edited by PoserX; 02-07-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Not me!! TrueLies is on a distinguished road TrueLies's Avatar
    Richmond (If you don't like it here, allow me to point you to the nearest exit. :))
    Bike
    1000K9
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=009

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=009

If you are willing to explore non-PVP brands...

This is also the time of year for the 75% off deals.

phresh
    Jus remember titer is better with pants

you dont want a rash LOL

Jumblebrains Hofman is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    Nothing atm
    I didn't feel like making my own thread, soooo....

I've been pricing out gear(roughly) and, for good leathers I keep coming up with a price around $1000. This'll be my first gear, should I be spending this much? If it's worth anything, I'm looking at an Icon helmet, Alpinestars jacket, tour master pants(not sure how good they'd be for street?) and Shift racing boots.

Yea, Nay? Anybodies opinion?

+ Reply to Thread