GSXR Cam Chain Tensioner

Thread: GSXR Cam Chain Tensioner

Registered User Array
    04 Jake The Snake with paniers

GSXR Cam Chain Tensioner

So it sounds like my cam chain is rattling. No big deal right? Coming from an F3 I knew all about Honda's crappy CCTs and that replacing them was no problem. I look in my factory manual for my 2000 GSXR 600 and discover the automatic CCT is inside the motor? Am I looking at the picture correctly? Am I going to have to do this at the next oil change?

2. Remove Advertisements

I was wondering, does it rattle all the time or only when cold?

The Mighty One
    It's something you should change soon. If it loosens off enough for the cam chain to skip and throw your valve timing off you'll likely be looking for a new motor. For a $60 part, not worth the gamble. The stock one is an automatic spring loaded mechanism with a piston pushing on the chain to give the tension. It can fail. The manual one is just a pison on a threaded shaft that you tighten yourself.

Save water, ride oil cool Array PeteDawg's Avatar
    Surrey what
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxstar
    For a $60 part, not worth the gamble. .
    I paid 110 at imperial for mine. ah well. Take off the ride side fairing and lift up the tank and the cct is right there up againsed the frame rail going intowards the motor. Might need to take off left side plastic to tighten it fully. If your unsure its prolly only .5 hours labour at a shop like bomax or 5th gear.
    if some is good, more is better, then too much is just enough.

I'm not Fast...your just Slow