How long would you consider for the "life" for a Japanese Sportsbike?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How long would you consider for the "life" for a Japanese Sportsbike?

DPT Downtown Poser Team Array Bluepill's Avatar
    Bike
    beater piece of shit

How long would you consider for the "life" for a Japanese Sportsbike?

Some poeple say a sports bike w/ more than 20000km is "high mileage"

Then I start thinking, what is the maximum mileage for a "regular sports bike" then?? I don't hear people riding their sports bike w/ more than 50k....especially for a Japanese bike!

Some European bikes like BMW, like the one J1K was talking about, have great reliability, so we do see old old European bikes/cars on the street. I guess Japanese use....worse parts!?!?...i donno!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    None
    I have an 86 Gixxer-750 that would tell you to take those statements n shove em up your arse

Obviously with age and mileage comes more maintance.. Im quickly learnin the less attention I pay to the gix, the shittier she runs.. but at just under 50xxxK it IS running strong, and Im sure, with saturnin being its former owner.., its been ridden pretty hard from time to time

IMO its all about how its maintained and treated, both with cars and bikes.. for example, my 'rents have a 92 Camry with 355'000 km on it and its STILL running strong, yet one of my best friend's 1999 cavaliers blew an engine at 75'000 km..

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    I'd say a sport engine is good for 100,000 - 200,000 depending on maintenance. I had 86,000 on my '88 Hurricain 600 when I sold her and she was still running strong.

Most sport bikes get totalled or stolen prior to hitting big numbers. IMO

I do laugh at city riders who shirk from bikes with over 20K. I do single trips in 10 days that are 7 - 8K. No big deal, just do the maintenance.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    I'd say most motorcycles die from neglected maintenance/crashing long before they "wear" out. On an older bike, it doesn't take long for repair/maint. bills to exceed the value of the bike if things are put off.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

One of these days.... Array looper's Avatar
    Bike
    '97 F3
    Personally, I'd rather get a bike that has a few more KM's than less, particularly if its older. The reaason being most people who ride a lot do the maintenance.

Ten year old bikes with 10,000 kms have probably spent a lot of time sitting around being neglected, rather than being ridden regularly and maintained.As has been mentioned, the engines can take the high mileage, as long as they're maintained.

My 1997 CBR has 46,000 kms and runs great.
    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

Bike
    Suzuki SV650, 2002
    I believe that sport bikes are designed for speed / performance not longetivity. The parts are made to be lighter and the motor is designed for more hp which puts more stress on the parts. It just adds to a shorter life for sportbikes of all makes. How much shorter, I dunno but its a shorter life by design.
    -
    -
    Current:Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

CBR600F2
    i say that bikes go as long as the owner takes the time to maintain her... obviously more is needed as the bike gets older... but for the most part, japanese bikes can last forever (not literrally "forever") but it can last you for a really long time, as long as you maintain it.

that being said, its hard to judge how well a bike has been maintained if youre not the first owner, in other words, if you bought the bike used. so if that happens, bring it in to a trusted mechanic and ask him how badly that particular bike has been beat up and make ur decision at that point.

just my $0.02

Registered User Array FlimFlamvanHam's Avatar
    Bike
    2001ZRX1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor
    I'd say a sport engine is good for 100,000 - 200,000 depending on maintenance. I had 86,000 on my '88 Hurricain 600 when I sold her and she was still running strong.

Most sport bikes get totalled or stolen prior to hitting big numbers. IMO

I do laugh at city riders who shirk from bikes with over 20K. I do single trips in 10 days that are 7 - 8K. No big deal, just do the maintenance.
    I agree. There's a few guys on the ZRX board with over 60K MILES. I'd be surprised if I didn't own mine long over 100K kms. Sure it's a big bore and turns lower rpms but I think it's all about the maintenance. If it said "Ford" (or Dodge or Chev) on the tank I'd think much differently.

Rev it up Array
    Bike
    Jap scrap
    It all depends on the bike. VFR lasts longer than most. Gotta love those gear driven cams. Just stay away from the newer ones with chain driven cams and vtech.
    Last edited by maxredline; 07-11-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Been riding since 1985 Array philtag6000's Avatar
    Bike
    Coming soon
    If you look after your bike, your bike will look after you.
    Oil change, oil change & oil change.

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by maxredline
    It all depends on the bike. VFR lasts longer than most. Gotta love those gear driven cams. Just stay away from the newer ones with chain driven cams and vtech.
    I do not believe that gear driven cams are inherently more reliable than chain driven.
    I do not believe that the VFR VTEC engine is any leas reliable than the VFR non-VTEC engine.

It all depends on how well it is deigned and built and maintained. Certainly VTEC adds complexity, but the amount of complexity in and of itself is not an indicator of reliability at all.

There plenty of cam chain bike engines with huge mileage. There are plenty of VTEC car engines with huge mileage. The evidence speaks for itself

The VFR VTEC engine has been out since 2002 with no reliably issues that I am aware of
    Last edited by Chumly; 07-11-2004 at 12:51 PM.

Greeneyes
    I rode a beat up 91 VFR750 with 80 k and it ran STRONG and rode fine. hell i liked it better than the brand new SV1000S
    My 91 nighthawk 750 had 42 thousand on it and was running great.
    My 78 CB400 only had about 30 thousand but it was starting to puff a fair bit of blue-shot rings.
    The 98 VTR we got on a trade had either 60 or 80 k and ran fine.
    I think if you don't over-abuse an engine and do regular maintenence it should last well over 60k. if its a viffer probably over 100k+ The engines that really dont last all that long between top end rebuilds are air cooled singles and small air cooled inline-twins, i think 30-40k on the average.

Bike
    1990 kan-o-tuna
    A dude on the board had a ninja 250 with over 160,000 km.
    Run well. Just had to do valve adjustments.

Save water, ride oil cool Array PeteDawg's Avatar
    Bike
    Bmx-r
    my 89 gixxer had 60k on the clock when i sold her and it would still smoke new 600's (in the straights) without problems. Those old oil cooled gixxers are bulletproof.

Materials (nearly indestructable ceramic cylinder coating on gixxers for example) and machining tolerances are very good on these jap bikes. Combined with the simplicity of operation (for most) and low loads (engine only has to carry 500-700 pounds).

can't remember which mag did the test on a cbr 900 but it lasted 200,000 km with regular maintenance.
    if some is good, more is better, then too much is just enough.

I'm not Fast...your just Slow

Bike
    Honda & Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by Greeneyes
    The engines that really dont last all that long between top end rebuilds are air cooled singles and small air cooled inline-twins, i think 30-40k on the average.
    A new air cooled smaller bike engine can last way longer than the 30-40k you mention with out a top end IMHO, if you do not abuse it, overheat it, and properly maintain it, etc. Almost everybody does abuse, overheat, and not properly maintain these motors.

I agree with the below as to small air cooled engines:
    http://www.beginnerbikes.com/cgi-bin...num=1031344241

"The current record holder for GS500 engines on the www.gstwins.com forum is GSJack whose bike is around 80,000 miles and still running. It is my impression that GS engines are less prone to catastophic failures, but gradually become looser (and are loose to begin with) and consume more and more oil as they age. Rebuilding worn GS engines seems to be more common though salvage engines are used as well."

"The net, I believe, is that engine longevity of either of these bikes is not an issue that should concern most potential buyers. It is an unusual rider who will wear out any bike before moving on to something else."
    Last edited by Chumly; 07-11-2004 at 02:00 PM.