BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

motorcycle deaths & accidents down in last decade

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  kuldip 
#1 ·
dont know if anyone else read the leather and chrome series in the sun yet today. deaths in 2003 dropped to 32 from 36 a decade ago. 811 accidents in 2002, 40% fewer than a decade ago with 37% more licensed motorcycles. thoughts?

#6 ·
This is from a prevoius post of mine, but it has to do with this...

Here's part of an article from the May 2004 edition of Canadian Biker magazine regarding training courses and crashes.

"...And if you've already bought a bike it's worth remembering that most crashes happen in the first 30 hours of riding. And almost every novice will drop his bike in the driveway while moving it, so it makes sense to get that out of the way on someone else's bike- and off the road!"

I'll throw this next quoate in for the hell of it just to stress the importance of riding courses for ALL ages.

"The number show that motorcycle fatalities as a percentage of registrations in Canada fell steadily to 1997.
The bad news is that, since 1997, motorcycle fatalities have been increasing, both in the United States and Canada. Analysis reveals that more crashes are happening to older riders as the mean age motorcyclists increases. Among others, BC's provincial insurer, ICBC, thinks riders returning to motorcycling in later life without re-training are a factor in these figures, and plans to require returing motorcycle owners to re-test.
... Of course saftey considerations are more important than the affirmative aspects of formal training. Still the best research on motorcycle "crashes" ( more succint than "accidents") come from the Hurt report. Harry Hurt's team examined 4,500 motorcycle crashes and assembled a list of 55 recommendations. Hurt found a strong correlation between lack of training and motorcycle crashes: 92 percent of crashes he examined involved untrained riders. He also noted taht many of the crashes could have been avoided with better collision avoidence skills such as swerving and emergency braking."

Hope you guys apreciate that I had to type it all out, no cut and paste.
On a side note, the collision avoidence and emergency braking mentioned in the article saved my ass in my close call I posted a month ago.
Thank you BCSC

G
#7 ·
Drinking and riding used to be a huge problem. For example, AIM (the association for injured motorcycles) used to have huge beer bashes and people rode to them. Many poker runs were from bar to bar to bar and the results were predictable.

Riders are better trained, better informed and on better equipment but we still make dumb choices when it comes to passing, drinking (or smoking), riding too fast for conditions, etc. But we are much better than we used to be.

#8 ·
Here on Van Island AIM & BCCOM hold a yearly fundraiser that is a bar to bar pub crawl. It has been going on for years and this year's one featured 2 bikes hitting as they came off Mt Washington....yeh, just the place I would want to be...in the middle of a group of drunken bikers coming down a 19% grade after boiling your brakes and your reflexes are shot by poor alcohol-affected riding skills.

Still amazes me how both these groups who are ogranized to support "bikers rights"...throw them and their entire credibility away, by encouraging people to drink and then go riding their bikes. We have a bad enough image with the public without that kind of help!!!!!!1

#10 ·
i did see that. we get a lot of 'must be new riders who are killing themselves' here seemingly. just wondering what the perspective is of the older folk who've been riding longer and if they knew about these statistics with all the doom and gloom being reported lately.

#12 ·
VTwinVince said:
I heard that the death rate is climbing fastest in the baby-boomer rub segment, since all these old guys are trying to "rediscover" their youth by going out on (mostly) Hardleys and trying to rip it up. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
I think you're bang on there. But old doesn't have to mean OLD. You just have to be away from riding for a while and when you decide to come back you aren't prepared for the different driving conditions , nor do you remember any training you may have recieved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.