Durability of Carbon Fibre exhaust systems...

Thread: Durability of Carbon Fibre exhaust systems...

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    Bike
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury

Durability of Carbon Fibre exhaust systems...

I am thinking about getting a set of Remus carbon fibre exhaust (vs. titanium) cans for my VFR and poking around the net, I have noticed that carbon fibre cans sometimes have less warranty coverage due to 'fading'.

This is from a site at http://www.motorsports-network.com/aremus/

Warranty: All stainless systems carry a 1 year manufacturers warranty against material defects and fatigue cracking under normal use - stainless products for BMWs carry a lifetime warranty. There is no in-use warranty for Carbon Fiber products as this material does fade over time. All returned orders / products will be charged a 10% return fee by MN. Any and all shipping charges will not be refunded under any circumstances.

Just curious - has anyone had a carbon fibre system fade over time, and is it very noticeable? Is there a coating (wax or ??) you can apply to limit any fading? I have never noticed carbon fibre cans that look faded, but I have never owned a set myself. May just go the titanium route instead - the cost is about the same

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    your girlfriend
    hey Thumper, i have the carbon fiber akro , on my bike its been 2 yrs now, and i have not noticed any fading at all , the metal cap changed color a bit , but the muffler itself is perfect. i too have heard stories about the carbon fiber pipes delaminating, or fading, but have not seen it yet . the wife has a D&D carbon fiber on hers , and same thing,, no probs..... one of the main advantages i noticed with carbon fiber mufflers is the fokkers never get hot enough to burn , little curious hands or feet.

Bike
    Thanks for the feedback - keeping the cans cool is another benefit of CF, especially with the underseat pipes on the viffer.

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

Rock bottom here I come Array Dalma's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda VFR800
    Thumper which set are you looking at? I have the Micron CF's on my Vtec VFR.

Bike
    I am thinking of getting the Remus CF cans... there are pics at the site at http://maxmoto.com/index.htm

aka Tony

Bike
    your girlfriend
    holy fok man , that looks killer. i gotta admit the carbon fiber pipes sure do kick up the bling factor on certain bikes

Bike
    evidently thses pipes sound awesome - nice deep v-4 rumble, may get a couple of extra ponies, lose a fair bit of weight, and of course, a l'il bling ain't all bad

aka Tony

rain? whats that! Array REVELATIONS's Avatar
    Bike
    SV 1000s
    Doing this and also doffing the Cat would bring the weight down a fair amount!

Bike
    -=none=-
    go call even at clixx motosport for those pipes. he can give you all the info you need!

Clixx # 604-780-3196
    -gurp

Bike
    Thanks for the Clixx # - I have heard good things about 'em- I will call them today.

aka Tony