Dropping teeth on front sprockets?

Thread: Dropping teeth on front sprockets?

Bent

Dropping teeth on front sprockets?

Hey

has anyone tried dropping a tooth on the front sprocket and/or going up 2-3 teeth on the back? also, going from a 525 or 530 chain to a 520?

I hear this is supposed to really up the torque...

anyone tried it? what did you think?

i guess i'm mulling going this route in the next couple of weeks - want to give my F4 a little more low-mid end grunt.

top speed's not so much of an issue.

also, anyone tried those boxes (damn, forget the name) to reset the odometer and speedo to correct for the changed gearing??

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Usually you do one or the other but not both.

Advantage to dropping one in front is that it's cheap because you can still use the existing chain and just move the wheel back a skosh to take up the slack. The disadvantage is that you accelerate chain wear due to the chain needing to bend more at each link as it goes around the smaller sprocket. This also uses up a little power but the extra torque hides this and the net gain is positive. Do this as a short term fix and plan on changing over to 3 up in the rear when it's new chain and sporckets time later.

The best way is to wait until you need a new chain anyway and just keep the stock front size ( but put a new one on) and go up 2 or 3 in the rear. The new chain is then a couple of links longer to compensate. No extra chain wear and lots of new torque. Disadvantage is that it's hard to see where you're going with the front end in the air Ryan can attest to this I'm sure.......

Conversion to 520 is fine at the time of needing a new chain anyway but it's not worth it before that. Disadvantages are that the sprockets wear faster becuase there is less surface area due to being narrower. This leads to faster chain wear also as the sprockets wear. On a 600 the reduced life is probably ( I admit I'm guessing here) in the order of 10 to 25% depending on how often you clean and lube the chain. The more often the less reduction in life. On a 900 the reduction is probably more like 25 to 30 %. Under NO BLOODY circumstances opt for aluminium sprockets. They wear like PlayDo and will eat the chain as a result. Aluminium is for racers that replace the whole lot every race or posers that do less than 2000 km of easy city cruising a year.

The lighter weight is supposed to increase the effective acceleration. It does this for sure but it's not by that much. Is it worth the $? Good question. If performance is your holy grail and you've done a bunch of other things and this is next then fine. But return on the $ is just not there in my book if it's done in isolation.

But if you've already bought the magnesium Marchesini's or carbon Dymags then 520 is the next logical step for sure....

And one of those brands of boxes are calle "Yellow Box". Do a search and it'll come up I'm sure.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bluestone
    it's almost no fun when BMathews is the first to reply. Usually everyone else gets their piece in on what they think or what they've heard or what such and such a magazine said. BMathews usually comes in and ends the debate with a researched, informative But when BMathews replies first, that's it. The end of the thread.

Bike
    2001 ZX6R
    Originally posted by Bluestone
    it's almost no fun when BMathews is the first to reply. Usually everyone else gets their piece in on what they think or what they've heard or what such and such a magazine said. BMathews usually comes in and ends the debate with a researched, informative But when BMathews replies first, that's it. The end of the thread.

lol, I agree, but it's a good thing....we should change "Bmathews" to "BDOMINATOR" or something....
    2001 ZX6R
    WMRC #32 Amateur

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    Bike
    none at the moment
    Originally posted by Bluestone
    I agree with that , r u researching all day our questions BM? damn that's good , thanx for your precision in answering our questions man.
    2010 can't affort a bike anymore
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 VFR
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

Bike
    2003 GSX-R 1000
    I cant really tell you anything more as Bruce has pretty much covered it all but I will point you in the right direction for the yellow box http://www.blackrobotics.com
    "Life is like a book. If you have not travelled, then you have only read one page."

MSN - burton6r@hotmail.com

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Ok, OK. From now on I promise not to step in until there are at least 2 other replies, or if no one else answers for a day or two, alright?

Or perhaps I'll just start including one or two white elephant statements to liven things up. Kinda like a "spot the sentance that doesn't fit with the rest" sorta thing.

A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.