Who's been riding less or completely stopped riding since they first started riding?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's been riding less or completely stopped riding since they first started riding?

CBR600F2

Unhappy Who's been riding less or completely stopped riding since they first started riding?

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Who has since been riding less or completely stopped riding, for one reason or another since they started riding way back when?

Personally, I started riding about 3 1/2 years ago, religiously to work, on weekends, etc. but this year I think I can count the number of times i went for a rip on one hand. The reason for this is primarily I cant commute to work anymore because I have to wear a suit and go from meeting to meeting on the road this year. Good and bad. good for work but the riding takes a back seat.

I know that some people have sold their bikes for different reasons, whether is be because of a friend that got hurt while riding, tuition money, girlfriend got pregnant (ive seen it happen), a lot of the guys just ride on the track now, and so on and so on.

So who has been riding less lately?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 ZX6R/91 BMW K75S
    <Hand goes up>

It's been getting harder and harder to get away on trips. Got married, wife brought a car and a bike to the fold, so with 5 vehicles, there's a lot of maintenance work. And I switched to working downtown, so once again, the commute sucks, so I only rides once in a while to work. That plus having to get to the gym, etc, makes it difficult to ride. I still get out at least once a week if I can, but it's not like the old days where I can put 500 km a week on the bikes....

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2007 Suzuki DL650 V-strom
    started riding in high school in 1972 on one of honda's early dual purpose bikes - the SL350. It was nice but not fast enough for my speed crazed mind. Took a honda CB750 supersport out and loved the speed.

Something in my brain said no way - you can't afford it and you're an idiot behind the wheel and will be even worse on a fast bike. So, traded the 350 in on a capri V6 and continued going fast on 4 wheels.

fast forward to 1995 - tried out a friends TW200 big tired trail bike north of whistler and it all came back. Picked up a new DR350SE Suzuki dual purpose and loved it. Followed within 2 yrs with a new Suzuki DR650SE so I could go on the highway better and then traded up to the V-Strom 1000 in 2002.

I now have the maturity to ride a powerful bike and I'm having a blast exploring southern BC - paved & dirt roads.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    I'm not riding 10k a month (during spring and summer) like I used to when I was in college, but my trips are very meaningful still and I take what I can get.

2 cars + 2 motorcycles + 1 soon to be wife + 3 mortgages + baby = not as much time as when I was single and renting.

I still ride over 20k a year though. . . but I do have to keep the bikes uninsured from Oct to Feb.

EDIT: All the above is totally worth riding less, and I can't wait until my kids are old enough to go with!!!
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

ridenrain
    Almost 20 years ago I started riding to work.
    5 years later I sold my truck because I never used it.
    Had a wife and family and now I borrow a van to carry around my daughter on my weekends. Things change and you make the best of them.
    Looking out my office window at my current bike, sitting out in the rain.
    I do ride a little less but not that much, besides riding keeps you young.

Also, Wednesday 21 is the 13Th. annual Ride To Work Day.
    Last edited by ridenrain; 07-20-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Purevil is soooooo dreamy Array Flyin''s Avatar
    Bike
    00 Ninja, 02 F4i, 99 R6 Race, 04 R6 Race... ...now nuthin. :(
    Night school, racing, and working 6 days a week has cut my street riding down to pretty much commuting to/from work on really sunny days. Huge drop from the 25,000+ kms I put in the bike last season. I have actually been thinking about selling the street bike next season. Well see how it goes till then...
    Big Jim "There's really no excuse for you being a fucking wanker either, but you still carry on."
    Big Jim "STFU YFI"

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    I'm definately riding less. I use to ride an average of about 2000kms/mth (much, much more at my peak). I've had to cut down mainly due to financial constraints...done school, gotta pay off student debt - I had a choice, I could do either streetriding or trackriding this year, but definately couldn't do both. I enjoy trackriding a lot more than streetriding, so I chose the latter.
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    i need a new bike.
    me too. I don't think i've touched the bike at all this season. It's a combination of a bunch of things but the bike has taken a back seat when it comes to where I spend my money nowadays.

Bike
    2009 ZX10R
    It's easy to find time to ride. I never in my life have ridden a motorcycle to work or school. I don't see my riding amount being less (and never see it stopping) but it has leveled off. My first year I maybe rode 6-7K, that was 9 yrs ago. I ride 30+K a year now and I still have plenty of time for hanging out lots with friends and family, and have work and other obligations.
    Some things that have happened in the last 6 months have made me think twice. The feeling of satisfaction after a really good ride is something I can't get rid of though.

---------------------------
    Now... bring me that horizon.

Bike
    2005 CBR 600RR
    I don't like street riding . I like the odd social event . I mainly just truck the bike somewhere and stunt ride or do the Wednesday nights at Boundary Bay . Lately we have been doing alot of motard racing .

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Quote Originally Posted by bl1tz
    me too. I don't think i've touched the bike at all this season. It's a combination of a bunch of things but the bike has taken a back seat when it comes to where I spend my money nowadays.
    Yeah, it must be kind of a trade-off...making lots of money being a manwhore, but you gotta spend most of that money to look pretty for Albert. And it leaves little time for riding when you're always out on "dates" to make a living.

Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Bike
    '92 ZX6-d
    I'd ride more if I could keep my bike out of the shop for 3 months in a row. *grumble*

As much as I love my mechanics, I really wish they didn't know me and recognize me whenever I come in. Damnit. (Last time around was because someone tried to steal my bike by trashing the ignition. MY ignition, you scumbastards! Don't touch.)

Registered User Array Miteorite's Avatar
    Bike
    g|xx3r
    It's all about money
    Haven't ridden for almost a year now.
    That'll change in a year when I grad.

asdfasdf

CBR600F2
    Quote Originally Posted by bl1tz
    chuck, u whore! where've u been man.

anyhow, i remember when i used to put 1K/week on the bike. now, id be lucky to get 1K all year. honestly, maybe i should just sell the bike and get an icbc trackbike. well see what happens...

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Bike
    I never ride to work. Mostly because I live three minutes from work and it takes longer to gear up and warm up the bike than the whole trip!
    I'm not getting out daily as I used to, but I'm planning more weekend trips. I'm about on track to compile about the same mileage as last year and the year before, about 15,000 kms from May-October.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    -----
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.