Scorching a Titanium can

Thread: Scorching a Titanium can

Bike
    ZX10r

Scorching a Titanium can

I have ordered an Akrapovic exhaust for my bike and was wondering how could I get the scorched look throughout the can. Think taking a blow torch or similiar device to it would work or not or any other suggestions would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    It needs to be done in a special manner or it'll look blotchy and awful. First off you need to check to ensure there's NO top clear of any sort. If that's good then clean it really well with a good lacquer thinner to remove all finger or other oils. Do not touch the metal from that point on unless you're wearing clean cloth gloves.

Try oxidizing it with a propane torch on the lower inside area where it won't be obvious. Experiment with heat and time until you like it then move on for the rest. It's hard to get it even and scratches easily so beware. It's only a microscopic oxide coloration and will dull and slowly wear away just from washing. It may need a special high temp clear to protect it.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.